Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT May Chit Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Having MS is just plain depressing as it is, so taking a med that adds to the depression can really put you over the top. I was more depressed on Avonex (I've never used Rebif) plus having the flu-like symptoms was just not worth it to me. Quality of life issue for me. Been on LDN for years now and am glad I took the chance and made the change. But as I said, being in a MS situation is just plain depressing anyhow.

    My parents live in the Los Angeles area near the foothills and have had bear problems for the last 3 years. Bears in the yard, on the roof, climbing the fences, mostly at night, but sometimes in the daytime. A little unnerving!

    My daughter lives in a rural mountain area and regularly sees bears. One of her coworkers had to have a "bear trapper" come and trap one that was repeatedly trying to break into her house in the nighttime. It had torn the door frame off. Pretty scary for a single woman living alone.
    Unfortunately when it gets that bad, they put them down because the bear has become too brazen and will continue to live a life of crime. Daughter's friend was devastated, but had no choice after trying everything else to discourage the bear.

    Raccoon and opossum are my nightly visitors.

    Comment


      #47
      Four peeps heard from and noone likes MS.
      What is wrong with you people??!!!

      I took Avonex for at least 10 years and hated the weekly mild flu but it was
      a piece of cake compared to now.
      Add vitamin Z(oloft) for my bummer gene almost since my onset.

      In December 2010, 3 months after mom's death, I received IV steroids
      for signs of ON. The neuro decided to partner me and Rebif.

      When I get bummed out now I am not nearly as emotionally resilient.
      I could probably stay in bed, zone out and dehydrate to a museum quality crisp.
      That is a first for me and very creepy.

      Going back on Avonex wouldn't be bad-
      only one episode in 11 years caught early.
      May the big kahuna intervene and guide me onto
      a happier path of treatment.

      My neighbors are wild boar.

      I do not understand why you nice people aren't enjoying MS.
      It is the gift that keeps giving and cannot be returned.
      What could be better?

      Hit me.
      Hit me HARD.

      Comment


        #48
        For Renee...wip2.gif
        Love, Sally


        "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






        Comment


          #49
          Museum quality crisp sounds good to me. I always tell my DH that I want to be dehydrated instead of cremated. I keep trying with the hair dryer, but someone always interrupts me. Oooooh, but it feels so good . . .

          Comment


            #50
            I love my hair dryer.
            If we dehydrate we could look fine like the tanning booth mom from NJ!

            And Sally, she is sick and twisted and that is why I'd like to crack open a bottle of wine
            w/her on a full moon when I am mega dosed up.

            Bless us each and every one! -Tiny T.

            Comment


              #51
              Renee,
              I was on Avonex for two years and it was two years of serious depressive illness for me but I am not sure the Avonex was the cause. There were a lot of other things going on. When I went on Rebif and started feeling better and functioning better, the depression began to lift. Actually, if you read the fine print on the prescribing information, the reported rate of depression was almost equal in all of the interferon studies between the placebo and the drug group. Because the rate of reported depression across the board (both on drug and on placebo) , depression is reported as a possible side effect.

              I spoke with Fred Foley, PhD who has counseled PWMS for more than 25 years now. He said that depression in the healthy population is 8-12% for men and 10-15% for women but in the MS population it is closer to 50% for both men and women. No one really can explain this other than to say it may be related to lesion placement or degree of disability and an inability to cope with declining function. Personally...my most prominent and consistent lesion is in the frontal lobe where emotions are controlled. When the MS has flared, the depression is worse. My docs think mine has to do with CNS inflammation. Fortunately it has been quiet now for about 3-4 years.
              Attached Files

              Comment


                #52
                :) Hi all. David camped 10 days and is home covered in tick and chigger bites. We've been putting clear nail polish on them to kill them. He did have a relaxing time and swam and biked and ate.

                My Mother had a bad day yesterdy in severe pain unhelped by her Dilaudid and Fentanyl patch. I had her take and extra 1/2 Dilaudid, put on her oxygen and lay down, but it scared
                Bill who helps her and he says if it keeps happening she need to go to assisted living.

                Also yesterday I got the medical forms for my doctor and eye doctor to send to the DMV medical board to see if I am allowed to take the driving test again. I hate the stress that goes with that. I have the eye doctor appointment Monday.

                David still has not heard about the liver waiting list since they resubmitted his case. Needless to say a lot of stress for both of us.

                Our house need a lot of straightening and I do not have the energy to do it. I'd like to call Merry Maids or something but David does not want strangers in our house. Please keep us in your prayers. Jeanie :)

                Comment


                  #53
                  Hang in there Jeanie,, and I wish David would stop and think, maybe you just might need Merry Maids,

                  We lost our Springer last night,, Annie was suffering, but let her do it her way, yes tears, but also knowing she is no longer in pain, makes her passing more doable,, why does a dog worm their way into your heart, its like one of your kids,, we been ready for another one, but give me a couple weeks,, this is still fresh to me,,
                  " Don't outsmart your common sense"

                  Peg

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Sending prayers for your Mother, Jeanie.

                    So sorry for your loss, Peg..*Hugs*
                    Love, Sally


                    "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                    Comment


                      #55
                      Nuthatch and Renee- you two are so funny. I would like to join the dehydration club and I own (don't use) a hair dryer! Let me in the club, please!

                      Jeanne- always thinking of you. Can you tell D that you need the help and the clean house? I said a prayer for all of you. I understand about people wanting to stay in their own homes. I plan to stay in mine.

                      Peg, so sorry about Annie. How are you doing otherwise?

                      Hi Cherie, Agate, Whisper, Virginia and all the rest of you.

                      Sally, I'm in PA near Pittsburgh w PizzaGuy. We flew down and were in a holding pattern until Biden's plane was off the tarmac. He was here visiting OHIO. What the heck, don't you guys have your own airports?

                      Be cool,
                      ANN
                      Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM.
                      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Jeanie, I'm sorry about your mother. And I do think Merry Maids would be a great idea. You have plenty of stress and could use the help. The workers are bonded and someone can be there at all times if you plan their schedule that way.

                        Peg, that is so sad about your Annie. Losing a dear pet is heartbreaking. So sad that pets can't tell us what hurts.

                        Hi to nuthatch, Cherie, renee, Sally, Lorraine, Virginia and stillstANNding!
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Anne, hair dryers and chocolate, heaven on earth!

                          So much going on lately. Dad turned 90, Mom not far behind. SIL passed away after a long battle with cancer. Son finally graduated from college today. We finally gave up looking for a house that we could adapt and bought a chunk of property instead. Now trying to plan to build what we need/want . . . not an easy task. And I'm tired.

                          Keeping all of you in my thought and prayers.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            I could do without the hair dryer but NOT the chocolate!!

                            Doing okay I am finally at the end of the steroid taper since my cortisol was so low they put me on a 3 week taper. I am feeling pretty good I know that the cart will come flying off the tracks so I enjoy the in between times. Even the blood pressure is behaving.

                            I agree about the Merry Maids. We are going to force MIL to get someone to help clean her house. And no its not me my wife and my BIL don't think that I should do it. It gets filthy WAY past dirty. She is going in for her double mastectomy on June 1st so we will give it a through cleaning and my wife will stay for a week. MIL got mad that she is coming home, it is my wife's B-day (June 7th) and the next day our SIL is graduating with his GED he is 30 years old and see's our family is big on education and he wants to get a career not just have a "job". He is starting at the community college for the summer session! He has decided to go into physical therapy (another kid in the health field, I cant escape!).

                            Typical spring weather 90 deg last Saturday and 61 predicted for tomorrow. But we have had drier weather this spring compared to the last couple of years and my garden is doing much better. So far the only thing I have lost is a couple varieties of cucumbers and when I planted them I knew it was too early so my bad.

                            Cherie if you recall (since I drove you nuts with emails and phone calls) when I was on Avonex I had profound depression and as I look back it ended when I switched to another therapy. I am TOTALLY convinced that depression and pain are two of the most under treated parts of MS. The fact that you have to try several different AD before you find one that works and it is not guaranteed to work forever. Plus the fact it takes so long to work people tend to give up on them. Now that I realize this and have PCP that is willing to listen and do what it takes to fix things I have become an advocate for these two Sx. I feel that in this day and age no one should go through that or put their family through it.

                            Ann I cant believe that they held up your plane next time call me and I will give the V.P, a call and tell him he is holding up a friend and he needs to get moving!

                            Peg so sorry about your pooch. Yes they ARE part of the family and much as I hate to admit it the dumb house cats are too. We raised Golden Retrievers and Miniature Schnauzers for many years and when they got too old to have puppies we had them fixed and they lived the rest of their lives on the farm. I figured they made me A LOT of money over the years and I owed it to them. We finally lost the last one 2 years ago. I miss having them ride around the farm with me. I take the schnauzers with me and they think they are really tough. It is a major joke in the area as they sound like they are going to rip someone up. I let them run around the fields when I am inspecting the irrigation and if some one drives up to talk and they stamp their foot they run and hide under the truck until I open the door to let them back in "daddy is back and we can hide in the cab of the truck".

                            Nuthatch building can be a major stressor in itself. But having exactly what you want is IMO worth it. We had talked about doing that very thing but as daughter pointed out I don't play well with others and I fired all of them when we had to remodel after the kitchen fire. Since I cant do a lot of the stuff myself it would be a disaster and as my family says they would hate to be a contractor working for me. Whats the big deal? Just because I can not do it doesn't mean that I forgot how. And if I pay you good money I expect you to do it exactly the way I say!!! I have been informed that it never seems to work that way and I would have to leave town while they worked.

                            Be healthy and happy everybody.

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Gary,
                              It's nice to hear you're bouncing back once again. As far as the minature schnauzer's are concerned, I think you would enjoy the book "following Atticus" by Tom Ryan. It's available on Amazon or you can get an autographed, pawtographed copy from a couple of booksellers in NH where dog and man have hiked all of the 4000+ peaks there several times. Proud of your son in law. Hoping your Mother in Law comes through this surgery well and you are able to send here home to a really safe and clean home. Blessings on Trish as she puts her birthday on the back burner to do this.

                              Jeanie,
                              I'm with the majority in having someone come in at least once for a good top to bottom clean that will not take too much to maintain. Sometimes that is all it takes to make it seem more manageable. Once it's clean, you just have to set a schedule to upkeep it.

                              Renee,
                              Anything on the neuro-psych or whether it might be best to go off Rebif for a while?

                              We are getting a lovely steady soaking rain today and tomorrow. Everything is so lush! Temps upper 60s. Remember Stan the Scooterman? He's currently on a cruise and is in Boston today and will be in Newport tomorrow and I think I am meeting him and Alice for a driving tour of the area while they're docked tomorrow. It's going to be rain but at least you're getting to see an area and hear the history of it under a dry roof.

                              Blessings to all.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Yes, I do lead a quiet boooooring life, Buttttttt........

                                Picture me at 2:30am on Monday Morning, sound asleep..."BAM BAM BAM" at the door. I wake up startled and yell "who is it"!! "Police Dept", he yells back. "What do you want". I yell back. Cop mumbles something about my Daughter and I try to jump up, which is impossible.

                                I yell, "I'm handicapped, I'll be there ASAP". I'm shook up, so it takes me awhile to get on my scooter and to the door. The old doggy is so scared he doesn't even bark, probably thinking it's just 911 here again to take me to the hospital.

                                I turn on the porchlight and slowly open the door, in case it's a burglar, and see a young girl sitting on the front steps with a young Cop at the bottom of the stairs (probably out of my gunshot range..

                                She is not my Daughter nor anyone's Daughter that I know. Young Cop says, "you don't know her do you"....I say "No"...he say, "sorry I bothered you" and off they went.

                                I don't know if she expected me to claim her or not...she looked at me woefully. wished I could have helped her, but I figured she was hiding from her real home and worried irate Parents.

                                That's my excitement for the week, I hope.. Needless to say Dog and I did not get right back to sleep.






                                ..
                                Last edited by SalpalSally; 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM.
                                Love, Sally


                                "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X