Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

April chitchat thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I'm sorry the new house cleaner didn't work out for you, Virginia. Such a tedious process to find someone new. Could a conversation with the neighbors help identify any leads?

    My car has about the same stats as yours, the mechanic has always dismissed any more work needed since it has such low mileage. But, here I sit with a car that doesn't reliably start. It needs a bath too. I feel exactly the same way about cars and computers. I had a technology meltdown last week and had to quickly learn new keys to get a new computer up and running. I was contemplating buying a new car, but I do like not having to worry about it being stolen or damaged, being so old. If only it started every time I needed it to...

    I think Eric will probably enjoy the distraction after so much headache getting the claim together. I know some time off with you is probably just what the doctor ordered, a breath of fresh air.

    Hope Dar and Renee are doing well too. And Howie. Thinking about Gary too, hope he is doing well.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

    Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

    Comment


      #17
      I went to see my Cardiologist today. He doubled my blood pressure medicine. I will pick it up next week. The Walgreens that I go to has stopped their pharmacy from opening on Saturday and Sunday.

      While I was at the Doctor's office today I asked the Doctor if he knew Hannah (the nurse who I wrote about on here). He couldn't seem to remember her, but I told him she was the best nurse I had ever seen. I told him she was with me during my very worse time and worked 24 hours in order to stay. I told him she was very compassionate and caring and she never left me even for a few minutes without leaving the call button laying on my chest and telling me to call her if I needed her. He turned to his computer and typed something to someone. I don't know if it was in an e-mail form or exactly what. He typed a number of lines, I would guess 6 to 8, and then sent it. He said this would make her feel good.

      Eric and I had planned on getting some flowers and going to see her, but then his house burned and we didn't get to go. I had started to ask the Doctor who would be best for me to write a letter to so that she would know how much I appreciated her, but also so that it would do her the most good, but he had turned to his computer and started typing so fast that I didn't get a chance. So I guess he took care of that. He is a very fast typist, his long fingers just flew across the keyboard.

      ​​​​​​​Eric insisted on coming all the way to my house and taking me today, then he stopped at the store for me to get yogurt and then stopped at the cleaners. Then of course he had to drive all the way back.
      Virginia

      Comment


      • SuzE-Q
        SuzE-Q commented
        Editing a comment
        How were the Holter results?

      #18
      Virginia, if the nurse named Hannah is still at the facility where she took care of you, couldn't you leave a gift for her there, or have one sent to her there?

      I understand that this sort of token of appreciation is quite common. I can understand wanting to do something to let that nurse know how much you valued her efforts, and it does sound as if she was being especially considerate.

      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #19
        Agate, I have considered doing something like that. Knowing Hannah, I do not want to embarrass her in front of, maybe her other colleagues who also took care of me after she was forced to leave. As I told the cardiologist she did not want to take credit for anything. When I got a little better the next day and tried to tell her what a good nurse she was she would say "no, that there very good nurses at that hospital". She said I should not hesitate to call on any of them when she had to leave. But, while some were good, I have since wondered how many of the others would have spotted my condition that night.

        I tried to send Nathan, the physical therapist at rehab a thank you note. It was March before I got around to it and I don't know what made me think he might be gone from the rehab I was in, but I just happened to pick up the phone and call and I was told he was working in another facility in Durham, N.C. I should not have waited so long, but it seemed I just had so much going on after I came home.
        Virginia

        Comment


        • SuzE-Q
          SuzE-Q commented
          Editing a comment
          Virginia, I bet if you wrote a glowing letter about him to his former boss at the rehab place you were at, they'd probably reach out to him and let him know about it. Letting his superiors know how well you were treated is probably worth a great deal to someone. I know it would make me feel good. And that is a way you could potentially reach him too, via his former employer. Just put your contact info in the letter in the event he's given a copy.

        #20
        Suze-Q, the results of the heart monitor that I wore had not been given to him, for which he apologized. I was only able to get one day, due to either the monitor (or possibly me) not doing something right. However, he said he would look for that 24 to 26 hours and if he saw anything out of line he would call me. He had wanted two weeks of monitoring, but he didn't put another on me.

        I had considered going ahead and writing a letter to the rehab about my therapist. When I called a man answered and I think I recognized his voice. He also said his name and I think he might be the same person who was therapist for the 2nd woman who was in the room with me. She had dementia and he was trying to work with her in the room because she had fallen and broke her hip. He called her honey a lot. She wanted to get up and he would say "no honey, your leg is broken and we need to do some therapy so you can get back on your feet soon and then you can walk." I never heard him loose patience. As I have said, it certainly was not a five star hotel and the food was not gourmet, but I met three physical therapist while I was there and they were all so nice. I think that is what that rehab strives for. Anyway, I told him if he talked to Nathan (my therapist) or knew anyone who might to tell him I called wanting to know how best to send a thank you note to him. He was really nice and said he would make sure that the proper people were told.
        Virginia

        Comment


        • SuzE-Q
          SuzE-Q commented
          Editing a comment
          So no news is good news then, and maybe your heart is showing nothing of concern? That's good news!

        #21
        ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

        Virginia ~

        I have a feeling that your nimble fingered typist cardiologist was sending a message about your praise for Hannah to a source, which would pass it on to Hannah. Perhaps the hospital nursing supervisor, maybe even copied it to the Chief of Staff, etc. It may be added to her employee file, which will benefit her in evaluations and reviews in the form of promotions and raises.

        That is probably the best gift you could give to her.

        Hannah saved your life, which is why she became a nurse. The nurses, who cared for Jon and Michael in the hospital, were devoted to giving them outstanding care and genuine love. When Jon and Michael were discharged, they applauded them as they were taken down the corridor on an ambulance gurney to go home. They cried and hugged me, Jim, and our sons.

        Two ICU nurses, who had cared for Jon at least once, determined that Jonathan had a septic UTI, several days into his hospitalization. They caught it so quickly that Jon received immediate treatment. They saved his life. As he recovered, I celebrated with them. They were jubilant.

        So, when Hannah told you that there were other "good nurses" in the hospital, she was correct. I can't even estimate the number of nurses I've met in my lifetime, and I can only remember a few, who were not dedicated, compassionate, devoted care givers.

        For Nathan, I think you might take the same approach. Write a letter of gratitude for his care, or call his supervisor. This is how we can make a difference in the lives of those, who care for us. We support their careers.

        Love & Light,

        ❤️❤️❤️❤️

        Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

        Comment


          #22
          Oh, good, glad you think someone is able to potentially reach him for you if the person you spoke to was the other therapist.

          I agree, Rose, nursing is generally a "calling" and does attract those who generally want to improve the lives and wellbeing of their patients. Not a lot of glory in nursing. It is a calling if there ever was one.

          I wish Jeanie had physio therapists like the ones Rose and Virginia had experience with. I too think she might have been able stay in her home with proper supports in place. There are many people in wheelchairs who live independently. Jeanie had good upper body strength and posture/core. I think the 2nd fall could have been prevented with better renos to her home and better supports. Jeanie was a nurse, she is sharp, and she is independent-minded. I admire the grace she's shown in these changes, but I wish it had been different.
          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

          Comment


            #23
            I met some good nurses when my husband was in the hospital before he died. They definitely were caring, but I did so much for him myself. I think it is when you are there alone, with no one with you, that you truly find out who is "real." There was no one to check on Hannah and she told me I didn't say a word during that night, that I just looked at her. But she did what she did even though no one would have known the difference.
            Virginia

            Comment


              #24
              HE'S BACK!!!

              I've been locked out for weeks. I couldn't remember my password and tried and tried the too many passwords I keep, some in my head, and some written in these little notebooks. I couldn't post to mods, or anyone to fix the problem. Then today, I was about to lie down, and take a nap, and for some strange reason, it popped in my empty head, to look in my notebooks again.

              So I did, and saw a new pass word for this forum, I tried it, and here I am. Wow, it feels like divine intervention. Hi gang!!!
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

              Albert Einstein

              Comment


                #25
                Glad to see you back, Howie. This place just isn't the same when you're absent.

                And you've been talked about while you've been gone. There have been questions for you. There have been comments about you.

                You'll have to catch up on reading the posts to find them. Heh.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #26
                  Hi Howie, so nice to see you. Agate is right you have had some comments about you, but like her I am going to let you find them yourself. Your punishment for being gone for so long and worrying us.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #27
                    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                    SuzE-Q ~

                    We were blessed with many excellent nurses through the years, including our home health nurse. I agree, it is a calling.

                    Our home health PT was incredible. He diagnosed Jon with lymphedema. Jim and I were so impressed with his teaching abilities, when he showed us how to position and wrap Jon's legs. He was patient, never in a hurry, so kind, and Jon loved him. Well, we all loved him, but it was most important that Jon trusted and loved him.

                    I agree with you that there were many ways in which Jeanie's home could have been made more accessible. She would have benefited from home health care, and she probably needed someone with her at night to help her to/from the bathroom. This is where a program like IHSS would have been helpful.

                    The problem is that if we don't seek out those resources, they aren't going to appear magically. On the front line, doctors should recognize patients, like Jeanie, who need assistance, and find resources to fulfill their needs. That doesn't happen often enough. Then, there are family and friends, who can seek out assistance, but most people don't even know where to begin to do that for their loved ones.

                    I could write volumes about the ways our medical and care system should be changed. In fact, I have written volumes about it during my advocacy years!

                    Virginia ~

                    Of course, your presence with your husband in the hospital reassured the nurses that he wasn't alone. And, it is different, when someone is alone in the hospital, without a loved one at bedside. That was the case for Jim, as I had to be at home with Jon. So we talked on the phone constantly, and I spoke to his nurses and doctors on the phone.

                    Hannah was your angel on duty. She saved your life, and she will always be very special to you. I give thanks that Hannah was there for you, and I'm sure she was placed there for a reason.

                    Howie ~

                    I am happy you finally found your password!

                    But what is this about you keeping some of your passwords in your head? I have a file folder of passwords I've used since the internet was invented. Write down every password and date it. Keep it in a file or notebook solely for the purpose of passwords. That way, you have only one place to look.

                    Another option is not signing out of BT. Stay logged in. There is no law that says you have to log out. I don't log out, and I never have. On those rare occasions, when I have to log in, I have my password in my file.

                    You have been mentioned on a few threads, so you might want to browse the forum.

                    Love & Light,

                    ❤️❤️❤️❤️

                    Rose

                    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                    Comment


                      #28
                      Rose is right, Howie--no need ever to log out of this site. Many people now have password managers to store all of their passwords. The password manager often fills in your user name and password at any site so you don't have to. I use LastPass but there's also Dashlane, and there are several others. LastPass and Dashlane are free, and I'm pretty sure others often are as well.

                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                      Last edited by agate; 04-14-2022, 05:12 PM.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #29
                        I don't ever log out, and my computer didn't crash. I looked in before I went to sleep like I always do, and went to bed. The next day, I got up, and when I tried to get in, I was signed out, and I didn't remember my password, and wasn't able to find it in any of my notebooks until I just happened to find it today.

                        I didn't have to sign in anywhere but here. It was VERY frustrating to say the least.

                        I need to put all my passwords into one notebook that's dedicated only to my many passwords. I had an old password for this forum, and thought it was the only one I had until I found another password in another notebook today, and that's the one that got me back in.

                        That's the kind of stuff that will give you bad dreams!
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          #30
                          I've been keeping a little notebook with all my passwords and any other log-in information (like user names) written in it. I enter Websites in alphabetical order as I sign up on them.

                          One problem is Websites where I've had to change the password or user name often. The notebook gets looking messy with all of the crossed-out entries but I use white-out so it won't look so bad.

                          At least you got back, Howie. "While the cat's away, the mice play," you know.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X