Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

October chit-chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    I'm going to have to find out more about cockles, winkles and whelks.

    I've vaguely heard of cockles but only in a song called "Cockles and Mussels."
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #92
      Originally posted by agate View Post
      I'm going to have to find out more about cockles, winkles and whelks.

      I've vaguely heard of cockles but only in a song called "Cockles and Mussels."
      We sang that quite a lot at the prep school I went to.
      Last edited by Prot; 10-25-2024, 02:40 AM.
      Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

      Comment


        #93
        I don't know what cockles, winkles and whelks are. Are you sure you are not pulling our leg Tim?
        Virginia

        Comment


          #94
          I turned to Google and learned that cockles are a lot like clams but not exactly, and whelks and winkles are edible snails. I checked out some menus for a well-known Seattle seafood chain and didn't find any of them on it. Maybe they're found only in certain parts of the world?

          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #95
            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
            Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
            the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

            Comment


              #96
              Winkles are the complete opposite to fast food . It can take time to extract enough to go on a piece of bread and butter.
              Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
              the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

              Comment


                #97
                But worth the effort, I'm sure. Or no?
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #98
                  For me they are worth the effort,but they're not the most popular of foods.
                  Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                  the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                  Comment


                    #99
                    Many years ago I had escargots, and I liked them. The idea of eating snails didn't appeal to me but I was pleasantly surprised.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      At one point, several decades ago now, it was possible to get frog legs and escargots in British supermarkets. They weren't a big seller though, and stopped being sold.
                      Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                      the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                      Comment


                        Escargots might require a lot of special handling anyway. I've never seen them sold anywhere--but then I wasn't looking around for them. I just happened to be in a restaurant offering them and decided to try them.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment



                          Do escargot require special handling as a food to eat?



                          Copilot

                          Yes, escargot do require some particular handling. They need to be purged of any harmful substances, usually by feeding them a clean diet or fasting them for several days. They're then typically boiled or steamed before being prepared into delicious dishes. There's a reason they say snails aren't just slugs with a shell; they need a little more finesse to be tasty! You ever tried escargot before?


                          Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                          the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                          Comment


                            It was such a long time ago that I don't remember well but I think you tease the edible part out of its shell with a fork while hanging onto the shell with a special tongs in the other hand.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              When in France I never had any desire to try them.
                              Virginia

                              Comment


                                Did they turn up often on menus in France, I wonder?
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X