We got ours at Home Depot you can look at their online store.
Edited to add:
Be careful as the cheap ones are like the cheap printers they work fine but when you get replacement filters (or ink cartridges) they cost nearly as much as the whole thing did.
Medicare rules are different than insurance company rules
I'm not an expert on Medicare rules for medical equipment. However a friend told me about her mother's experience, and I located an online booklet about durable medical equipment at Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... (If the link does not work, "google" Medicare publication 11045 )
According to the booklet, obtaining durable medical equipment through Medicare/Medicaid can be a bit complicated.
FIRST. The equipment must be medically necessary (according to their definition) and sometimes requires obtaining advance approval (by submitting a completed Certificate of Medical Necessity to Medicare).
SECOND. The equipment must be obtained from a supplier enrolled in the Medicare Program. As a first step, you might try asking the company that sold you the air cleaner if they are enrolled in the Medicare Program. If the company doesn't have a Medicare supplier number, Medicare won't pay anything.
THIRD. Medicare pays for most eligible durable medical equipment on a rental basis. (My friend's mother had to "rent" the raised toilet seat she was prescribed. After my friend had modified her bathroom, they wanted to stop paying for the unnecessary toilet seat. That meant she had to call the supplier to pick-up the "rental" equipment—a used raised toilet seat. The supplier didn't really want it back.)
My guess is that Medicare won't reimburse you for buying the air cleaner. But maybe your doctor's office can refer to someone more knowledgeable.
I got one through Medicare or Medicaid. It does not require replaceable filters.
It was considerably less expensive than what you are looking at and
probably not as effective.
What YOU need, that and your physician's letter justifying need is most important.
Abby, can't help with your question about Medicare, but I will tell you that I have a cousin that is a Doctor and really believes in them. I don't know what kind. I think he buys cheaper ones and just replaces them when he feels they are not working anymore. But hey - he is a Doctor and can do that. I do not have one but would like to have.
Comment