Just to muddy the waters a little more, maybe it needs to be mentioned that there is a Profile Picture, and then there is an Avatar.
When you go a-scrolling down on the left side of the Settings page, you'll see Edit Profile Picture but you'll also see Edit Avatar. The avatar is the image people see when you post, under your user name.
The Profile Picture is the image people see when they look at your Profile. This might be the same as your avatar, or it could be different.
Since it's an avatar you want, you should make sure you're choosing Edit Avatar.
Sally, he's already got the resized image because Vicky was kind enough to provide it in a post in this very thread.
You probably just need to go somewhere online and have it made smaller,
so you can put it as your Avitar!
Sally, I did that for him and he wouldn't even try to change his avatar so I'm giving up. I've got other things I could be doing instead of resizing a pic he didn't even want.
Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz
I tried to duplicate what you probably did, and I get the "invalid file" message too. I think it's because Option 1 under Edit Avatar is meant for URLs to other Websites, and the URL being used for Vicky's resized photo is of course a BrainTalk URL.
This means you'll need to pick Option 2, and for that you do have to have Vicky's resized image copied to your computer.
You probably already have a larger version of the image in there, and so you need to make sure that you're choosing the one you need--the smaller one.
I'll quote my earlier post:
Howie, if you right-click on the smaller image of Pinky in Vicky's post and choose Save image as, you should be taken to the place in your computer where you store images. Put it there, and then go to Edit Avatar in your Settings.
Select the second option (Upload image from your computer), and you'll again be taken to that place in your computer where images are saved. Usually it's calledMy Pictures. I have an older computer, and it might be called something else on newer computers.
Choose that Pinky image you just saved, and click onSave Changes at the bottom right,and you should have your Pinky avatar.
Just to show it can be done, I've now got a Pinky avatar. I'm going to change it right back because I don't want a Pinky avatar. It was only a test.
Please note that to do this Pinky avatar you're now seeing, I've had to put your image of Pinky on my PC. I'll be happy to delete it very soon in case you care about people not helping themselves to their images.
I deleted the one I made since Howie indicated he didn't plan to use it.
I didn't notice that he indicated he didn't plan to use it. Must have missed that somehow.
Howie, since she's deleted that image, you can indeed use the image that's now my avatar. It will be the same procedure--right-clicking on it and choosing from the drop-down menu so you can store the image on your computer. You go into Settings and choose the second option under Edit Avatar.
--Or you do what I've been doing for years--just keep trying this or that until something works.
What Howie said was "That's old news, I quit trying. Life is too short!" I thought that meant he didn't want the avatar I resized. I can put it back up or he can use Agate's. If you want to use it now, Howie, I'll reinstate it on Photobucket.
Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz
Comment