Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olfactory hallucination

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Olfactory hallucination

    A very strong odor of coffee woke me up at 3:00 a.m. It went away in less than an hour.

    Had anything similar?

    #2
    Well, that's interesting. I am sure there are several jokes that are occurring to readers of your post.
    "No honey...I didn't ____you are having an olfactory hallucination!"....ok, enough of the crude jokes!

    I wonder what part of your brain did that...if it is a new sensation does it mean a new lesion in that spot? You are lucky it was the wonderful smell of coffee. There are all sorts of things to imagine. I like that sweet smell of trees blossoming that I will soon smell on my farm.

    It did not seem to bother you but I would be interested to see if it happens more.
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      #3
      I smell coffee right now, I've just finished brewing it!

      I do on occasion smell smoke, like wood burning. It's very faint, and doesn't last long, but I always walk through the place just to ease my mind.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #4
        I called the fire dept once because I saw smoke around the foundation of my house.
        It was just the steam billowing up from the suns heat on the moisture. Duhhhhhh!!!
        Love, Sally


        "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






        Comment


          #5
          electrical burning, smoke, cookies baking, rain when there was none, bacon . . . those are a few that come to mind that I've had. Hubby says I have a hyper sensitive nose anyhow . . . I say he can't smell! Yes, a smell has wakened me in the middle of the night too, but that only happened once. It's not something that happens frequently though.

          Comment


            #6
            Electrical fire, soap (which comes w the taste sometimes), and natural gas. I look for the cause and fine none. I eat or drink to get rid of the soap taste/smell. It never works.

            ANn
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
              Electrical fire, soap (which comes w the taste sometimes), and natural gas. I look for the cause and fine none. I eat or drink to get rid of the soap taste/smell. It never works.

              ANn
              Well, I don't really have a problem smelling things that are not real but I'll eat and drink in sympathy with you.
              Linda~~~~

              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

              Comment


                #8
                Soap and chocolate . . . reminds me of when I was a kid, we had a wealthy neighbor that owned a chocolate shop. One Halloween they gave out chunks of white chocolate in sandwich bags. I was only 9 or so and had never had white chocolate before, let alone chocolate from specialty store in big thick chunks like that! I thought I they were giving out pieces of broken bars of soap!
                I'm enlightened now! Those were the days! mmmmmm!

                Please pass the chocolate, Ann!

                Comment


                  #9
                  I am glad I am not the only person with this type of symptom! Let's see if it happens again...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by nuthatch View Post
                    I thought I they were giving out pieces of broken bars of soap!
                    I recently bought some chocolate soap on Amazon. I can't wait to try it!


                    Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Would that be soap that you use but don't eat? Or soap that you eat but don't use as soap? I've used soap with oatmeal in it. Chocolate sounds nicer.

                      I may have had one of those olfactory hallucinations once, just as I was picking myself up off the sidewalk after falling. It was very strange but the smells were unpleasant.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I'm planning on using it when I shower. I hope it smells good when I take it out of the plastic.


                        Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                        Comment


                          #13
                          My boyfriend got hit by a forklift at work... Got a concussion and bleeding on the brain. He smelled wood smoke when there was no fire. The brain does some weird things sometimes.
                          s
                          Jendie
                          I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

                          Comment


                            #14
                            It was so strong it woke me up. I stayed in bed about 30 minutes, silently cursing my DH for brewing coffee in the middle of the night, knowing full well he doesn't know how to even brew coffee, finally got up to walk outside tom see if their was an environmental cause like a chemical spill on the RR tracks, returned to bed and thr hallucination receded quickly. Was suspicious it was MS but wanted to check out all other options...

                            In the morning I checked the trash to see if there was a coffee filter in it-- nope. As one last hurrah I asked DH if he had gotten up at 2 a.m. To brew coffee-- nope.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I wouldn't mind the smell of coffee in the morning.

                              Confession: For the last year I have occasionaly been woken
                              up from morning twilight sleep by sound that did not happen.
                              A phone ring, someone saying my name. As long as it doesn't
                              become more frequent i won't be concerned.

                              I've a few verifiable out of body experiences over 35 years- yeah, I'm nuts-
                              at the same time of day so I'll just watch it.

                              Bacon and pancakes with my coffee, please.
                              Last edited by renee; 04-28-2015, 11:32 PM. Reason: buzz off

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X