Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

free power chair

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    free power chair

    For anybody living in Connecticut I have a power chair that I don't need anymore and I'm giving it away. The only investment would be a new battery which runs about 150$/200$. Other than that chair is 1 year old and in good shape. PM me if interested.

    #2
    That is extremely nice of you.
    May the right person find your offer.

    Comment


      #3
      I had an almost new $10,000.00 electric wheel chair that I was trying to give away. I had a huge problem finding anyone who would/could take it.

      I called Stavros in western MA. Even though they provide help for handicapped persons, they would not take it. But they told me to call a place in Hartford that takes equipment and refurbishes it and finds someone who needs it to GIVE to them.

      My electric wheelchair had NO damage as its owner had died a month after she got it. But the place in Hartford picked it up and found someone with a need. I was happy.

      If you ever need call Stavros to ask for that Hartford facility name and number. I could do that for you if it would help.
      Linda~~~~

      Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

      Comment


        #4
        That is so kind of you to offer it. I recently tried to give away a lift recliner that I no longer could use. I tried calling lots of agencies that help those in need, from the elderly to veterans. Not one would/could take it. Finally I put an ad on Craig's List with a very low price.
        A few weeks later I got a call from a gentleman who needed a lift recliner. He couldn't get up from his couch or his bed without crawling across the floor to pull himself up on something. He planned to sleep in it and was so happy to get it. My husband delivered it and set it up in his house for him. It felt good to help.

        Craig's list does have a "free" section to give away things and a "wanted" section. We have given away couches and a refrigerators that way when MIL went into a retirement home and when we moved. Lots of people respond to the free ads, especially college kids. With handicap equipment, I'd prefer to be sure it goes to someone who really needs it.

        I also have an almost new electric wheelchair to give away and a few walkers.

        Comment


          #5
          Am I the only one or does this seem funny to you? I would like to think I am wrong but.......... I am sorry but I would be wary of giving out information including your email address due to idiot hackers and data mining. Its a sad fact but someone who is really desperate for getting back some mobility (via a power chair). would be all over this. Besides the resale of something that cost $10,000 and is only a year old.

          I live in a part of the country that has an average population of about 10 people........... but we have a legitimate company (its even across the street from the hospital) that repourposes used/unwanted/unneeded durable equipment. They even have the ability to set you up with expensive prescription required items. Although there is a story going around town that the state of Oregon is going to make them stop doing it. They tried to shut the whole thing down but the D.A. said they are not breaking any laws. Hey this is the same state that wont let you pump your own gas (there might be an explosion) and for many years wouldn't allow big box stores to sell caskets at a substantially reduced price because it might increase the murder rate. True stories.

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks Linda, I am not as much concerned with getting rid of it as I would like to know somebody is really enjoying it. I know my life changed for the better the day I started using a power chair versus a manual one. I thought that posting it on a MS forum would be the right thing to do but if there are no takers I'll contact the MS society, the CT chapter.

            Comment


              #7
              It just might be the Socrates paradox Gary, I know, I hear you, it's a crazy world out there but I'm either naïve or positive thinking idiot I guess.'.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Gary View Post
                Am I the only one or does this seem funny to you? I would like to think I am wrong but.......... I am sorry but I would be wary of giving out information including your email address due to idiot hackers and data mining. Its a sad fact but someone who is really desperate for getting back some mobility (via a power chair). would be all over this. Besides the resale of something that cost $10,000 and is only a year old.

                I live in a part of the country that has an average population of about 10 people........... but we have a legitimate company (its even across the street from the hospital) that repourposes used/unwanted/unneeded durable equipment. They even have the ability to set you up with expensive prescription required items. Although there is a story going around town that the state of Oregon is going to make them stop doing it. They tried to shut the whole thing down but the D.A. said they are not breaking any laws. Hey this is the same state that wont let you pump your own gas (there might be an explosion) and for many years wouldn't allow big box stores to sell caskets at a substantially reduced price because it might increase the murder rate. True stories.
                Gary, it sounds to me as if atlantis is just asking people for a PM "if interested," and from there you might or might not move on to sharing more information, like your e-mail address, with atlantis. I'm assuming that atlantis will provide more information with the PM exchange?

                I have seen several posts like this on message boards, and people do have these items to unload sometimes.

                --As for the state of Oregon, there's one thing to be said for it: no sales tax.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #9
                  With apologies to Atlantis.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Gary, I find it strange that someone doesn't jump on the offer of a free, almost new wheelchair. And I hate the feeling that someone may be out there looking to data mine or hack the giver or the receiver. I've listed things on Craig's List quite a few times. You provide your e-mail address to Craig's List but now have the option of it never being put out there for others to see. They have a relay system where all correspondence goes through Craig's List, so neither the buyer's nor the seller's email address is exposed to one another or to anyone else.
                    There are still people (they're called phishers) who will send their e-mail address to you along with a silly question, like "Is the item still available?" in the hopes you will use their e-mail address to answer them, instead of the relay system. Then they can capture your e-mail address. Never do that!

                    It's too bad this world has come to this. Why should it be difficult to simply be kind? I hate being suspicious of people and feeling people are suspicious of me and my intentions. Makes me sad.
                    Joan
                    Last edited by nuthatch; 06-08-2015, 09:44 PM. Reason: can't spell!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      nuthatch, maybe one reason there aren't any takers for this offer is that no one here is in Connecticut. I can't think of anyone on this board who is but there may be some.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Anyone who is poor (like me) you can get a Hoveround power chair through Medicaid with no cost to you.
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Gary View Post
                          With apologies to Atlantis.
                          Absolutely no need for apology, it's a mad, mad, world .

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I should be more welcoming. Too many years in prison (as an employee, lol). I tend to get most of my exercise by jumping to conclusions and for that I apologize. Welcome to BT and hope you will hang out for a while. Many folks here use this board to discuss just about any topic and as a result you will see a number of posts labeled OT (off topic) meaning it most likely has noting to do with MS. It is also a good place to rant, rave and just generally complain when you have "one of those days". Over the years this particular board has drifted in that direction. Giving its members a place to discuss things that affect them and not to remind them that they have a serious neurological illness. It is also a good place to ask questions as well since MS tends to change its Sx over time. We have a couple of members that stay on top of MS treatments.
                            Last edited by Gary; 06-09-2015, 09:31 AM. Reason: Spelling, as usual

                            Comment


                              #15
                              In our State, the Shriner's take all sorts of equipment, clean and refurbish it and put it on long term free loan to folks. There are all sorts of organizations out there. craig's List is a pretty good place to sell something that is no longer needed at a fraction of the price paid.

                              Unfortunately, Atlantis, the CT Chapter of the MS society is no longer in business. All of New England has centralized in MA. They also do not take used equipment due to liability issues. Used to up till about 10 or 15 years ago.
                              Last edited by Cherie; 06-18-2015, 07:01 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X