Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good MS friend of mine sent me this research article. Very interesting.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A good MS friend of mine sent me this research article. Very interesting.

    Of course, the problem is why MS patients produce different cytokines, but it holds the promise of new treatments. CES




    (18/05/15)

    Evidence has long suggested multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease, but researchers have been puzzled because they found the same T cells that attack the myelin sheathing around nerve cells in MS patients are present in healthy subjects as well.

    Now researchers from the Yale School of Medicine and colleagues at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) report that auto-reactive T cells in MS patients produce different types of inflammatory hormones called cytokines than they do in healthy subjects.

    “In most people, these T cells are acting to repair tissue, but in MS patients, they do damage to the nervous system,” said Dr. David Hafler, the William S. and Lois Stiles Edgerly Professor of Neurology and senior author of the study, published May 14 in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

    The Yale-led team analysed T cell populations from 23 MS patients and 22 healthy controls. Existing drugs target the MS-specific cytokines identified in the study and should be a promising new treatment for the disease, the authors say.

    Hafler also noted the same sort of process might be found in other autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and Type 1 diabetes.

    Yonghao Cao of Yale and Brittany A. Goods of MIT are co-first authors of the paper.

    The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

    Source: Bioscience Technology © Copyright 2015 Advantage Business Media (18/05/15)
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    #2
    I am always interested in dealing with inflammation.

    I know this is not relevant but, I just finished three weeks on doxycycline (sp). We did that because I had another tick bite which was inflamed and I was very sick for weeks. Now I feel great. You can not imagine the energy I have and the work I am doing.

    For years I have told doctors that I always feel significantly better when on antibiotics. I was lucky and had my own source for getting pills. (I no longer have that source). I took antibiotics for a couple of weeks about once a year.
    Each time I had the kind of boost some of you get from steroids.

    I always thought this meant something in relation to the type? Of MS I have.

    Just thinking out loud....
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      #3
      Isn't it common to feel exceptionally well on antibiotics? Some people seem to get almost hyperactive on them.

      When my kids were in nursery school, the teacher once advised parents to keep their kids home for the first few days on an antibiotic because antibiotics made the kids jumpy. I don't know of any firm evidence about this but I've noticed myself that an antibiotic often puts me on a high, at least for a while, and I have more energy than I've had in ages.

      There will be less prescribing of antibiotics from now on because they've been losing their efficacy due to overuse. Too many bugs were finding ways of beating them.

      I hope that people with MS will still be able to have them as needed.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        There is a theory that chlamydia pneumonia bacteria causes some MS. It hides in cells and is difficult to eradicate. Antibiotics long term can do that.

        Similar theory about that bacterias role in some asthmas. They use antibiotics for many weeks, and then several days per month for a long time. They use ZPAC or Levaquin. I heard about it on People's Pharmacy.

        Comment


          #5
          I was just going to chime in that there has, for years, been an infection theory with antibiotic therapy tried to treat MS. Fell out of favor maybe 8-10 years ago as not panning out. I still think some individuals may benefit from this but it is not the way to treat across the board.

          Comment


            #6
            There had been a BT member who was on a antibiotic program but I don't remember who it was.

            Comment


              #7
              You're going WAY back there Parsi, but I remember too, but like you I can't remember who it was.
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

              Albert Einstein

              Comment


                #8
                Apparently we didn't remember who it was in 2006 either:

                Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                Last edited by stillstANNding; 08-12-2015, 12:56 PM.
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                Comment


                  #9
                  "Daunted". I think that was the member.

                  ANN
                  There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Weren't they using daily Minocycline (or mini cycling as autocorrect said) long term for MS 10-15 years ago?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Doxycycline and then doxycycline alternated w flagyl.

                      Doxycycline might be minocycline by a different name.
                      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Two different drugs, I think.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Different drugs, same family: mino, doxy, tetra.

                          I too feel better on doxycycline...minocycline, the complete opposite, I feel horrible: dizzy, unsteady, off balance.
                          Last edited by SuzE-Q; 08-14-2015, 05:44 AM.
                          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I am glad I brought this up! I see my neuro next week and will try to bring the subject up again.
                            Linda~~~~

                            Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Here's some info:

                              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                              Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                              Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X