Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good MS friend of mine sent me this research article. Very interesting.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Hmmm...Spuggy. That's a name I haven't seen in awhile. I wonder how s/he's doing? No post since 2008.

    I checked the current list for Daunted as well. Not listed. Perhaps never made it back after the change in forums?

    Comment


      #17
      Spuggy's post from 11/06:

      Hi I was thought to have MS due to symptoms over the past 8 years,optic neuritis,spasticity etc.i was under the care of a respected UK MS Specialist for 4 years.

      Quite a few years ago we noticed how I seemed to improve after taking certain antibiotics.i knew my spasticity increased with UTI's and ovbiously once the infection was treated symptoms improved. However the effect seemedd to last longer,less stiffness and spasms,improvedd mobility and less fatigue.

      I mentioned this to MS Specialist and he said so many MS patients say this.I'd also heard about minocycline trials.

      I started to progress and was now using crutches and a wheelchair outdoors.Despite taking 80mgs of Baclofen and adding diazepam my spasticity and spasms were intolerable.

      My MS Specialist requested another brain MRI last year and it came back still only showing optic atrophy.He suggested I try antibiotics for 6 months and discharged me.

      As i'd researched antibiotics I e mailed David Wheldon and gave him my history and symptoms.my MS Specialist on my first examination had written in my n0tes I think this is MS and admitted me into hospital.After a week of extensive testing he said he thought it was MS but rare not to show lesions,but it would be benign.

      David said he certainly thought in my case they were worth trying.My GP supported me and I was to start doxycycline 200mgs the next day.

      the next day I woke up with a horrendous chest infection.I thought well I'm starting doxycyline it will sort out.I got worse and had pneumonia so had to stop doxy and go on other abxs.

      I then started back on the doxy.After a fortnight my spasticity had increased so much I couldn't stand,this was from thoracic spine downwards.I developed a bright red rash all over my chest and neck area and I was in my wheelchair all of the time,not just outdoors.

      My GP took one look at the rash and spasticity and said I had to stop doxy and he insisted I went on steroids.

      In hindsight I think the pneumonia hadn't helped and the rash and increased spasticity were a herx reaction to the doxy which can happen.i'm seriously considering giving the regime another go but reading up on the supplements properly to take along with it.

      i've haven't had any blood testing for any specific virus or bacterium.I had mycoplasma pneumonia many years ago and I know how I feel and I've always told Dr's I feel I was being attacked by some viral or bacterial ooverload.

      Although my MS Specialist thought MS,my diagnosis is now up in the air again.I had nothing to lose as my mobility is a wheelchair ooutdoors due to spasticity and weakness,optic atrophy in left eye and fatigue.I take many symptomatic meds,have had IV steroids and every day is an up and down struggle.

      I've given this from my perspective and I still feel this is the way for me to go.I have been tested for all the usual alternatives,lupus,sjorgrens,wilsons and some rare disorders.
      I remember a Spuggy, who used to post fairly often. Unfortunately I can't remember anything else.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #18
        That always makes me think, they were part of the drug team promoting a certain drug. If not, did they get better, or die. Anyone promoting a certain treatment, sets off an alarm in my head!
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

        Albert Einstein

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Howie View Post
          That always makes me think, they were part of the drug team promoting a certain drug. If not, did they get better, or die. Anyone promoting a certain treatment, sets off an alarm in my head!
          Spuggy was definitely a real person with an MS-like illness, although not a "typical" presentation.

          She's a gurrl from the UK. She posted regularly early on.
          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

          Comment


            #20
            SuzE-Q, I was talking about the different doctors. I just read it again, and I wasn't very clear. The medical system in the UK is a nightmare once you get the details.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment

            Working...
            X