Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer vs Tablet --- who will win?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Nope Cat, you did not misunderstand. I only have the desktop and a regular kindle - not the kindle fire. I have the lighted regular kindle just for reading books. It is my second kindle.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #17
      Ah, I see. I'm on kindle number 4 for me. This one now is a fire. I have one like you describe, but I'm so used to the fire now I will likely not go back...

      Comment


        #18
        There are so many different devices these days. I should try to keep up with them better than I do, but laptops do everything I need. I'm a one functioning hand, type with one finger, person.

        Anyone know who Stephen Hawking is? A modern Einstein, who is totally unable to move but for his eyes. He has the ultimate setup where he can do ANYTHING on a computer using only his eyes.
        Last edited by Howie; 01-28-2016, 12:47 PM.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

        Albert Einstein

        Comment


          #19
          I know who he is, but did not know he could operate a computer with his eyes. Talk about technology.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Virginia View Post
            My problem with the laptop is that when I have tried them in the store I can't type well at all. I need a key board, which means I have nothing but a desk top computer. This brings on the problem of having to come into my office and sit in a straight chair to come on computer.
            Oh my that" a pain. You know i've heard throug many people have said excellent things about -- Dragon Natually Speaking " i too have trouble with my fingers. Craoms & suck. Anyways i found a digital voive recorder that has dragon and with that you could easily spek. I staples in canada it is about 140.00 ptetty decent price for less pain eh?

            How are you today? I hope your day is good or better.

            Peace
            The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

            That's my son's words of wisdom to me! ! lol

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Virginia View Post
              I know who he is, but did not know he could operate a computer with his eyes. Talk about technology.
              Yeah, it's amazing, to say the least.

              Peace
              The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

              That's my son's words of wisdom to me! ! lol

              Comment


                #22
                He is part of Cambridge University in England, and because of who he is, they got him the most cutting edge technology and I'm sure is always getting the newest.

                He can also twitch his cheek, and can move one hand but it's such a small amount you can't see it, but the computer can sense it. I would guess it's like the "enter" button, combined with his cheek twitch, and eye movements.

                He can even speak with an electronic voice, again controlled by where he looks with his eyes. The last book I will ever be able to read was one he wrote, again with his eyes, called A Brief History of Time.
                Last edited by Howie; 01-28-2016, 03:31 PM.
                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                Albert Einstein

                Comment


                  #23
                  Any Star Trek TNG fans, he had a brief cameo on one episode. I thought that was VERY cool of him to do. Again, the computer talked for him, but he managed a slight smile after scolding Sir Isaac Newton about gravity.
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                    #24
                    All I can say is, sure wish I was back home on my new couch and with my laptop!!!!
                    Get it?
                    Last edited by SalpalSally; 01-28-2016, 04:15 PM.
                    Love, Sally


                    "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Howie View Post
                      Any Star Trek TNG fans, he had a brief cameo on one episode.
                      I remember that episode. I think I've seen them all at least 5 times each. What can I say, I'm addicted!


                      Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Vicky, I have all the original Star Trek, all the TNG, and all the Enterprise on DVD.
                        Do you think that makes me a Trekkie?
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by SalpalSally View Post
                          All I can say is, sure wish I was back home on my new couch and with my laptop!!!!
                          Get it?
                          I know you do, Sally. I'm so sorry. Having MS bites, doesn't it (to say the least). I hope that you still might be able to return back home soon and you can recover more strength. You just never know with MS. I've regained functions months and even years after I thought they were gone, I've had lesions disappear after decades, even with more sensitive MRI's to be able to see even more damage, but they healed and disappeared.

                          Don't lose hope, ok? We know from stroke victims that many mobility functions CAN be recovered, regardkess of age or cause. Insist on learning techniques that you can repeat over and over, repetition is key. I hate that we're mainly written off when I see stroke patients have immediate techniques started. The same tools have been shown in small studies to help us too. I'm going to get one of those pedellers that Cat was talking about, that doesn't take much strength because it self propels a lot once you get it moving, but does aid in retraining the mobility areas of the brain and our nervous system, plus keeps our muscles and circulation moving. It was only around $30 and is used from a seated position. Can be used on our arms too.

                          Or there's, like me, who went for physio, but my mobility issues weren't "obvious", yet I leave and sure enough, they appear again and I'm limping around. What's up with that?!?? But it does show at least the "possibility" or potential, even though I didn't get any exercises to do. I have to go back and insist on being taught the techniques so I can practice.

                          Howie/Virginia, when my desktop died, I bought an 8" tablet plus a laptop.

                          To be honest (and surprising to me), I waaay prefer the tablet (Samsung galaxy tab4). I too was very intimidated learning new technology, especially with no instruction manual. But I learned the tablet in a day myself and use it 99% of the time. I use a stylus to type on the screen's keyboard, I can speak to it and it will do searches or play songs, just by voice instruction that is included (like Apple's Siri). The 8" is quite big, yet light enough and with a battery life of around 9 hours that puts the much heavier laptop to shame. It is super convenient.

                          Plus, you can enlarge the typeface or pictures using your fingers to increase the size. The laptop, I still haven't figured out some of its basic features yet, but it too is a touch screen at least.

                          So, the tablet cost me 1/2 as much, yet I'm using it 99% of the time and prefer it. And it was very easy to learn. I'm going to have to take the laptop in for a lesson, I can't even figure out how to go "back" to the last screen I was on, even something so simple is difficult. Plus, the laptop battery is around 5 hours at best, much less.

                          I have to say I was proud of myself learning the tablet so quickly...felt like a big girl!
                          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Hi Sally,
                            SuzE-Q 's response about movement and about tablets was so full of useful information that I just wanted to highlight it.

                            1. She is right about losing and regaining movement. Sometimes when I thought certain strengths were gone forever, they came back. This very week I walked a mile! ( Not all at once but still it was within one day). The dog park near my house has given me a perfect area to walk with my walker.

                            2.Her comments about using the tablet is exactly what I experienced. I even bought a book titled something like..."The Handbook They Should Have Written for the IPad". I actually was so happy to order it and can not remember using it much! The ipad is so intuitive that you will just figure it out easily. I never thought this was true but...it was!

                            So, there is possibility in this world. Sometimes, for a moment or a day or a month we can do something again. Something we thought was lost. And we can learn ways around even if we thought we could not learn another new thing!
                            Last edited by Lazarus; 01-29-2016, 03:40 AM.
                            Linda~~~~

                            Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                            Comment


                              #29
                              The Missing Manual (The Book that Should have been in the Box). David Pogue. Just buy the one for your device.

                              For ipad: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                              Linda knows about recovery and comebacks, that is why she named herself "Lazarus."

                              ANN
                              Last edited by stillstANNding; 01-29-2016, 07:13 AM. Reason: Added link. You're welcome
                              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Thanks you guys, I love you!


                                Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my iPad greatly!
                                It's starting to like me...LOL
                                Last edited by SalpalSally; 01-29-2016, 08:00 AM.
                                Love, Sally


                                "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X