Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(OT) Windows 10

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    (OT) Windows 10

    Windows 10 has a different way of providing updates. Maybe other versions of Windows since XP have been doing this and I wasn't aware of it. To me it's new.

    Traditionally the updates would announce themselves as I shut the PC down at night. They'd take a while to install, then shut the PC off automatically, which I thought was civilized of them since I didn't have to wait around.

    Now the updates are doing that but in the morning a person gets a surprise. Anyone remember the Blue Screen of Death? Now there's the Red Screen of Updating.

    That was what greeted me this morning--a flaming red-orange screen announcing that more updating was going forward, and it helpfully added, "This may take a while."

    "A while" was about an hour and a half and involved a few restarts.

    I'm not knocking Windows 10. I'm really happy with the way it works. Some features are new to me. I'll adjust.

    Does anyone have any comments about Windows 10 or whatever operating system you're using--pro or con?
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    I did the update to Windows 10 because they were getting on my nerves asking me all the time. This was when you could update to 10 for free, and they were saying only X number of days it will be free.

    So I had it for 2 days. I hated the way email was set up, and the way news was laid out. A few other things I could get used to, but not those two things. So I went back to 8.1 which I have now, I know the system well, and have NO issues with it.

    So tell Cortana I said hey!
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

    Albert Einstein

    Comment


      #3
      Hello Joan!

      I found this information for you: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      I like Windows 10, it just took a while to get used to. When I shut down my PC at might and it starts updating, I usually wait the time it takes and I restart my PC as soon as it shuts down, so it can finish updating. If it's taking longer than I want to wait, I go to bed. If it's a short time and I restart the PC and the finishing of the updating is taking longer than I want, I go to bed. Sometimes I will wake up at night and see it has finished updating and I shut down the PC. If it finishes while I'm asleep, the worst thing that happens is the PC is on until I get up.

      I know how frustrating it is to wait for updating to finish in the morning when I want to get on my PC right away!

      I hope this helps.

      #7

      p.s. Howie! I shut down Cortana
      Last edited by Moderator #7; 09-09-2016, 10:54 AM.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks, #7!

        It's good to know that I can intervene in this two-stage process. I didn't realize it was now a two-stage process and so it took me by surprise.

        I'm always glad to get updates. It shows someone out there cares. What with computers being the complicated animals they are, I don't trust me with one. Its care and feeding requires professional attention now and then.

        Didn't you like Cortana? I haven't got around to trying it yet but it looks a bit like the Siri I've seen people using. I ask Google search my questions and wouldn't use something like Siri, I don't think.
        Last edited by agate; 09-09-2016, 11:51 AM.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #5
          I have never had even one concrete answer from Cortana. I don't think she and I are on very good terms.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #6
            But she had a sexy voice!
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment


              #7
              Agate,

              Siri is useless except for a couple of jokes.

              My Mom has an LG phone. I think it has a Google operating system. Anyway, you say "Show me frogs" and it shows you frogs! I haven't found Siri able to do that and I have an Apple 6 plus.

              And don't get me started on the Martian ear sticks (instead of headphones) for the 7's. Not wearing those!!

              Here's your chocolate Virginia,
              ANN
              Last edited by stillstANNding; 09-09-2016, 07:34 PM.
              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

              Comment


                #8
                I've got Windows 10 and have had no issues with it. I've not experienced the orange screen, though, or the extremely long update process. I do have my computer set to update automatically as it is being used. Only occasionally have I turned it on to have it tell me it has to finish updating, and then it's only been for no more than a few minutes.
                Of all the microwave updates I've found 10 the easiest to adjust to.

                As for cortana, I shut her off early, and just do my own searches. It only takes a couple of clicks at settings to do that.

                Comment


                  #9
                  They want to control our lives... Muahahahaha!
                  Love, Sally


                  "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                  Comment


                    #10
                    This computer updates automatically too. That's what it was doing but it surprised me by doing so in two separate stages--one in the evening when I was shutting it down (I'm very used to that) but the rest of it came along the next morning when I turned it on.

                    It might have been because the computer is new and has to settle in. Like a new pet in the household, maybe. I can get along with computers if I just keep in mind that they're only glorified typewriters.

                    Yes, Windows 10 seems very user-friendly. I'm amazed at how so many problems fix themselves now! No more Dr. Watson or need for ScanDisk or DiskDefrag if anyone remembers those.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Scary,!!!!
                      Love, Sally


                      "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                      Comment


                        #12
                        Sally, if your iPad is like mine, it does upgrades too, automatically and rather often. Or maybe yours doesn't?
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Doesn't scare me at all. In fact, saves me a lot if time and grief, not having to manually do the updates, or the defrag process.

                          Agate, I also have turned on the computer in the morning only to have it tell me it needs to finus updates. But I never have seen the orange screen, and the updates never have been longer than 10 minutes, max.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Uppitycats View Post
                            Doesn't scare me at all. In fact, saves me a lot if time and grief, not having to manually do the updates, or the defrag process.

                            Agate, I also have turned on the computer in the morning only to have it tell me it needs to finus updates. But I never have seen the orange screen, and the updates never have been longer than 10 minutes, max.
                            There's been a connectivity problem here. After much tinkering and phone discussions with CenturyLink, I believe they've finally adjusted the throughput speed settings correctly, and maybe I won't be getting any more strangeness.

                            And on the positive side the last tech support person I dealt with at Century Link was a very nice young woman whose speech was easy to understand.
                            Last edited by agate; 09-10-2016, 02:24 PM.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              No HEAVY Chinese accent? That's becoming rare these days.
                              Last edited by Howie; 09-10-2016, 03:26 PM.
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X