Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(OT) Windows 10

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Often it's been a heavy East Indian accent. The problem may be not
    so much the accent as that some of the phone tech people hold the phone too close or maybe use cellphones that don't transmit the sound clearly.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #17
      I've learned the best time to call any big business like Microsoft, is weekdays. You have a much better chance of talking to an American, than weekends. I can't remember who it was I called one weekend, but I still have nightmares about the experience!
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        #18
        I've learned that too. They may say they're available 24/7 but they're not so available, really.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by agate View Post
          Sally, if your iPad is like mine, it does upgrades too, automatically and rather often. Or maybe yours doesn't?
          No Mine just keeps telling me I have updates.
          Love, Sally


          "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






          Comment


            #20
            I couldn't use an iPad. The screen is just TOO small. I can see using one for when you aren't at home and need to get online, but not to use one as your only way to get online. That little screen would give me a headache.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment


              #21
              You cannot turn off Cortana any more.

              You people who have turned off Cortana will find that once you get the Windows 10 anniversary update, which started a staggered update schedule in August, you are stuck with her.

              Once you get that update Cortana has moved in and set-up housekeeping. Actually, you can kick her out, somewhat, at least sort of lock her in the basement, but she is still around and will occasionally make herself known, slip out through a window or something.

              To knock her down, even a little bit, you have to go into the registry. You can google it. But MS wants madly to collect all that personal data that Cortana keeps reporting back to HQ, so they are making it harder and harder for you to lock down your computer and, as far as I can tell you can't totally lose her or shutdown her tattle-tale ways.

              BTW, I am not really a "member" here. I was googling for information on Windows 10 and this thread popped up. Looks like a good group of people here, sorry to be the bearer of bad news about Cortana.

              Comment


                #22
                Welcome, SteveII!

                We had a couple of people named Steve here in the distant past but it sounds as if you aren't one of them. In any case, thank you for registering and posting.

                I haven't disabled Cortana yet, and it seems that the anniversary update has already automatically installed itself on this PC. When I asked in the "ask me anything" window, I found this reply (coming from a Microsoft Website):

                • If you have Windows 10, the Anniversary Update will automatically download and install when it becomes available. After it’s installed, your device will be running Windows 10 Version 1607.
                • To see what version of Windows 10 your device is currently running, select the Start button, then select Settings > System > About.
                There must be a way to evict Cortana for those who don't appreciate her.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #23
                  As I mentioned, MS does not want you to disown Cortana. So, that easy peasy way to get rid of her disappeared. MS has not publicly said how many people did indeed get rid of her, but it must have been significant if they made her pretty much required in the anniversary update.

                  So, many, many people feel very reluctant to mess with registry settings -- and for good reason -- if you mess them up, you have just made yourself a nice new boat anchor, because you have totally screwed your system up. Having said that, if you are careful, it's not that bad. But, as I said -- and I don't pretend to be an expert at all -- even if you make the registry adjustments, she still lingers, just sort of hidden away -- out of sight, out of mind -- and still reports back data to MS.

                  Here is a link to one site that purports to tell you how to do it. The how-to geek site has somewhat O.K. ratings for their content, but I in no way endorse, condone or believe that what they are telling you in the following link is true, or will work. If you want to somewhat hobble Cortana, I suggest you do extensive research and cull information from a variety of sources and not just rely on something that some fool on the internet tells you to do, including me.

                  Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                  And, no I am not one of the old Steves from this site -- although I am 58, so I guess I am old. LOL! good luck.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    As I mentioned, MS does not want you to disown Cortana. So, that easy peasy way to get rid of her disappeared. MS has not publicly said how many people did indeed get rid of her, but it must have been significant if they made her pretty much required in the anniversary update.

                    So, many, many people feel very reluctant to mess with registry settings -- and for good reason -- if you mess them up, you have just made yourself a nice new boat anchor, because you have totally screwed your system up. Having said that, if you are careful, it's not that bad. But, as I said -- and I don't pretend to be an expert at all -- even if you make the registry adjustments, she still lingers, just sort of hidden away -- out of sight, out of mind -- and still reports back data to MS.

                    If you want to somewhat hobble Cortana, I suggest you do extensive research and cull information from a variety of sources and not just rely on something that some fool on the internet tells you to do, including me.

                    And, no I am not one of the old Steves from this site -- although I am 58, so I guess I am old. LOL! good luck.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Computer technicians have warned me to stay out of the registry. I try to do what computer technicians tell me.

                      Any tinkering I do with Cortana is going to have to wait until I find out more about how pesky she's being.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I still remember fondly the computer I had back in 1994 and the day I decided to mess around with the registry.

                        Unfortunately, that patient flat-lined and was never brought back. Ah, well, it was time for a new system anyway.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by SteveII View Post
                          As I mentioned, MS does not want you to disown Cortana. So, that easy peasy way to get rid of her disappeared. MS has not publicly said how many people did indeed get rid of her, but it must have been significant if they made her pretty much required in the anniversary update.

                          So, many, many people feel very reluctant to mess with registry settings -- and for good reason -- if you mess them up, you have just made yourself a nice new boat anchor, because you have totally screwed your system up. Having said that, if you are careful, it's not that bad. But, as I said -- and I don't pretend to be an expert at all -- even if you make the registry adjustments, she still lingers, just sort of hidden away -- out of sight, out of mind -- and still reports back data to MS.

                          If you want to somewhat hobble Cortana, I suggest you do extensive research and cull information from a variety of sources and not just rely on something that some fool on the internet tells you to do, including me.

                          And, no I am not one of the old Steves from this site -- although I am 58, so I guess I am old. LOL! good luck.
                          Those Steves weren't exactly old as I recall but this message board is venerable in Internet terms--there are people on here who have been with this board for over 15 years.

                          I thought you might be a former Steve because your user name--SteveII.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Howie View Post
                            I couldn't use an iPad. The screen is just TOO small. I can see using one for when you aren't at home and need to get online, but not to use one as your only way to get online. That little screen would give me a headache.
                            Howie, the newer iPads seem to have smaller screens. The iPad2 that I have isn't so tiny. The screen is 8x6"--pretty small and I prefer the regular computer screen but it's OK for something portable, and the text is easy to enlarge.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I.'m happy with my IPad. Just wish it was a bigger screen too.
                              Love, Sally


                              "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by agate View Post
                                Howie, the newer iPads seem to have smaller screens. The iPad2 that I have isn't so tiny. The screen is 8x6"--pretty small and I prefer the regular computer screen but it's OK for something portable, and the text is easy to enlarge.
                                Mine is 8 x 10 inches actually. Still too small!
                                Love, Sally


                                "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X