Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercise and Stretch Thread: December 2016

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    Linda, how wonderful! It will be a time to make many memories!

    I had to shovel snow yesterday. Never thought I could even do it, but I lasted longer than I thought.

    Then suddenly, I became dizzy and I developed tremors, my hands were tremoring, I could feel the skin crawling on my legs. Very weird. My fingers felt tingling like they were frostbitten.

    I had a warm bath to see if warming myself up would help, at least the tingling and tremoring in my hands, but the heat only impacted me physically and I couldn't even stand straight. Even after my body temp went back down to normal, I was limping and had to hold onto furniture to avoid falling.

    Today, I woke up and I sure feel my muscles! Still limping along, so haven't yet rebounded to whatever my general health state is. Usually overnight, I am back to usual state, but not this time.

    So, Tylenol3 and bed for the rest of the day.

    But I was so proud of myself yesterday, I never thought I could even do what I did!

    I don't mind "paying" for it in muscle soreness. But I sure DO mind paying for it in worsening neurological functioning.
    Great job! I am hoping we only get 2" tonight. The possibility is 5" or more but opinions are that it will turn to rain. I am hoping!
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      #47
      SuzE-Q, long before I knew what was wrong with me but I knew a lot of things were going haywire, snow shoveling was THE hardest thing for me. After a session of shoveling I'd come indoors and just stay in bed for a day or two, shaking and unable to eat. Electric shocks ran up and down my body most of the time, very uncomfortable.

      I don't know how far it's good to push ourselves.

      Hope you looked at the link to the MS Focus article by the former member of this board--she's discussing a special type of snow shovel.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by agate View Post
        SuzE-Q, long before I knew what was wrong with me but I knew a lot of things were going haywire, snow shoveling was THE hardest thing for me. After a session of shoveling I'd come indoors and just stay in bed for a day or two, shaking and unable to eat. Electric shocks ran up and down my body most of the time, very uncomfortable.

        I don't know how far it's good to push ourselves.

        Hope you looked at the link to the MS Focus article by the former member of this board--she's discussing a special type of snow shovel.
        I know, I WISH I would have had that device!!
        Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

        Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

        Comment


          #49
          I'm listening to the plows rumbling past our house right now. Brrrrr.


          Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

          Comment


            #50
            (singing) It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by BBS1951 View Post
              Pictures please Agate!
              I took a photo but haven't got around to "processing" it yet, and maybe this will do though it doesn't show how they fit on the walker. They fit on the rear legs.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #52
                Those are awesome!

                My legs settled down yesterday evening. So, I went for a half mile swim today, @25 minutes. It went well. My legs are no worse. Am very grateful they settled down last night. It was pretty sudden, like a light switch. Maybe some key lesion in the cord healed.

                Comment


                  #53
                  BBS, that would be great if a lesion healed - sure wish the rather large one in my spinal cord would heal.

                  Half mile swim sounds good.

                  Suze-Q shoveling snow is hard. You really got some exercise in.

                  Agate, when you walk all the four floors in your building I assume this means you walk up all four flights of stairs and all around the halls. Sounds like a lot to me. That would be very good exercise.

                  Howie, having to stretch for a beer must be very tiring. Couldn't you teach Sam and Seven to get them for you? Or would they drink half before they got to you?
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Yes, Virginia, Howie is probably one worn-out dude from the effort of having to stretch to reach the beer. I agree that it's time those cats made themselves useful but they seem to be confirmed layabouts.

                    I do walk up and down all the stairs in this building and down each hall. There are people here who do this several times a day but I'm doing well if I walk around once, in the evening when there are fewer people around. If I run into someone and start talking, I get tired of standing.

                    I don't take the walker with me on these walks. I can't manage the walker on stairs well at all. I don't think most people can. They're just not made for stairs.

                    Today I did a load of laundry and spent a bit of time on my feet wrapping gifts and dealing with a yarn problem and changing bed linens--and flipping the mattress.

                    I turn the mattress every two months. There's a way of doing this without lifting it but it still takes a bit of strength.

                    The last time I did this I misjudged and knocked over a plant stand, sent several potted plants crashing to the floor, ruining three cherished glazed terracotta pots but rescuing the plants.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Those are some useful looking pads for a walker. I have a walker, 4 canes. and my Hoveround, and don't use any of them. For that I'm very thankful. But the day could come, when I'll need help to be mobile, and I'll be prepared.

                      Sam fetching me a beer? Hahahahahaha!!! They would get to me empty, or half empty. No, the exercise does me good!
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Agate, between your potato fiasco and the plant debacle, you are a menace! But really, that is quite a lot of exercise :)

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Agate, I find flipping the Queen sized mattress too much strain. Peter with his wide wingspan does it for me. Walking around your building sounds like very good exercise.

                          ANN
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                          Comment


                            #58
                            There is NO WAY I could flip my queen size. I have a cuddle ewe over the top and I flip it every week. Agate, that is very good exercise when you are walking up the stairs and all around the building. Just don't ever fall.
                            Virginia

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Well today - cleaning since my 2 hour every other week maid does not come this week.

                              Cleaned master bath, dusted all over downstairs, cleaned glass top table in living room (this means I have to get on floor to do bottom), cleaned glass top dressing table in bedroom (no getting on floor), changed linen on bed, have done 3 loads of wash and will do another one. I can't remember if I did anything else. I know my back has been hurting between shoulders, but that is not new.

                              I stretch my cleaning chores out when I am telling ya'll because I am not doing much else. So I have to make it look good!
                              Virginia

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by Howie View Post
                                Those are some useful looking pads for a walker. I have a walker, 4 canes. and my Hoveround, and don't use any of them. For that I'm very thankful. But the day could come, when I'll need help to be mobile, and I'll be prepared.

                                Sam fetching me a beer? Hahahahahaha!!! They would get to me empty, or half empty. No, the exercise does me good!

                                Howie,
                                The first person With MS who became my friend after I was diagnosed taught me the same lesson you just mentioned. She always told me to "get it before you need it". I learned her lesson and it has turned into good advice...
                                Linda~~~~

                                Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X