Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exercise and Stretch Thread: December 2016

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Exercise and Stretch Thread: December 2016

    MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move. Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can egg each other on.

    Yesterday I swam a half mile and went up and down five flights of stairs (not all at once!), and walked five minutes at the grocery store. Today will be recovery day.

    How did you move today?

    #2
    I do some exercises early in the morning for the minute I count out for eyedrops to "settle." The exercises are done with my eyes closed, and so they're more of a challenge. I do the same routine in the evening, and at that time I do the 10 squats I'm supposed to do, plus 10 sideways leg lifts on each side, plus 20 tiptoe stands (to the count of 5 or 6).

    Yesterday was the day for 10 arm exercises involving a door and exercise band, and 40 weighted foot lifts and a couple of other exercises I'd have trouble explaining. One involves a tied exercises band around my legs at the knees. One involves a medium sized exercise ball. And then there are the pelvic tilts--20 of those daily.

    These don't take much time. I walked the halls on Tuesday and should have done that yesterday but I'd done laundry. Just a few trips to the laundry room add up to quite a few steps.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      That's impressive agate!

      Comment


        #4
        There are also the backbends that have to be done daily--a total of 20. Not really impressive backbends but just hands-on-hips bends backwards as far as I can go, which isn't very far.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #5
          I had my neuro appointment today a brought a 20 pound box of local grove oranges. It was like about a 50 yard hike with that heavy box. I have string arms from surfing. But the added weight took a toll on my ankles, feet and shins. No other exercise other than the 5 flights.

          Comment


            #6
            Not feeling well today, so no movement for me to report.
            Virginia

            Comment


              #7
              Sorry you are not feeling well, Virginia.

              BBS, what did you and neuro decide?

              ANN
              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

              Comment


                #8
                Continue IVIG. Increase Baclofen dose. MRI shows some minimal demyelination on cord. Told me that MRai doesn't do a good job picking up the tiny lesions on people's spinal cord, hence, needs to be more substantial damages to visualize the MS on the cord.
                START Biotin and stay on Lipoic Acid pills.
                He said likely will not become disabled or need a wheelchair based on my 20 year history and MRI progression. Likely

                Comment


                  #9
                  BBS, that is really good news from the neuro!
                  Last edited by agate; 12-02-2016, 12:57 PM. Reason: typo
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Swam a half mile today. Lots of walking in the parking lot at Publix because I forgot where the car was. That was a rookie move.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I swept and mopped the two floors and did a load of laundry. I did my exercises but didn't do much walking.

                      I had a bad spell in the middle of the night. Got up as I do several times a night but my legs were out of control again. Never had this happen before when getting out of bed--it's always been while walking around for a bit of a distance.

                      I very nearly pitched into a standing mirror, then very nearly went sprawling. Luckily I know this place by now and know which things I can safely grab onto. I was grabbing onto them in a big way, and I did not fall, I'm happy to say, but it was unsettling enough for me to take it easy today.

                      I moved the mirror today so it won't be in my way if this happens again.

                      I probably just need more exercise.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Oh no agate. Maybe you need Less exercise for the next day or so? Was it that your legs lost strength, causing you to pitch forward? Or spasm? I doubt it was caused by insufficient exercise.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                          Not feeling well today, so no movement for me to report.
                          You feeling any better today? Is it the MS, or is it a virus?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'm hoping that the whole problem is gone for now. It was like what I was experiencing while walking for many months after I fell in March except that it was never this bad when getting out of bed.

                            Last night I was very very careful every time I got out of bed, hung onto walls and went slowly.

                            I've found that if I can just remember "heel-toe-heel-toe" while I walk, things go ever so much better. Some muscles must still be a bit out of whack.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Why don't you try every other day to exercise. See how you feel, and if not better, you can easily start them daily again. You see the exercise machines on TV, and they all recommend every other day. It gives the muscles time to rebuild and get stronger.
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X