Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor callbacks etiquette

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Doctor callbacks etiquette

    The doc likes me to message him through patient portal. So, on Sunday, I did so re what should I do about Baclofen causing bad constipation. I was asking if I should cutback Baclofen since there was no problem on the lower dose before. But Baclofen is tricky, you cannot just stop it, so I needed guidance on how to cut back.( In the meantime, I have Miralax but I don't know if that's one of the meds you cannot use for an extended period of time)

    I never heard back Monday and suspected a technology glitch. So I called this morning, Tuesday. I spoke to his nurse and she said I could call back again if I didn't hear from her by 4 PM

    So I called at 4 PM and left message on her voicemail. It's nighttime now, and no call back. Obviously I will call them tomorrow morning.

    Do doctors or their staff typically call back same day? Or is that too much to expect? I don't want to be a pest, but this has really gotten me pretty uncomfortable.

    And he is out all next week on vacation.

    #2
    I usually get a call-back within 24 hours, from the nurse. Only rarely has the doctor called directly. I'm not comfortable dealing with health questions for which I need an immediate answer, by using email. Too much of a risk that it doesn't get transmitted. If you can't get an answer in the morning, You should really raise heck...

    I probably would have called Monday afternoon, and asking..did you get my message, here's my issue...
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

    Comment


      #3
      Try using stool softener daily instead of laxatives. Senna is the product I use. Works for me and I use baclofen plus the chemo causes constipation. I also start each morning with a cup of coffee which the nurse practitioner told me to do and it works. Drinking enough water is important. Hope you can stay away from tricky laxative drugs and this information helps.
      Linda~~~~

      Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

      Comment


        #4
        Don't be afraid to harass them until they do what they're supposed to. They're not afraid to ignore your calls are they?


        Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

        Comment


          #5
          Someone should return your call. I usually get called back by the doctor's assistant or nurse, sometimes by the doctor.

          But in my experience it's quite difficult to get responses from any providers between from about mid-December to after the first of the year. Offices are short-staffed, doctors tend to take time off. But do keep at it. Someone is supposed to be on call taking care of issues that come along.

          Increasing diet fiber can work wonders for constipation, IMO. Prunes or prune juice are the obvious thing but there are many other high-fiber foods.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            ((((((BBS1951)))))) ~

            It's probably the holiday season delaying the doctor's response.

            Constipation has been an ongoing problem with my sons, so we've tried everything. I agree with others suggestions, so I will be repetitious.

            Water ~ drink plenty of it. Bowels and bladder compete for water, and when you're constipated, not enough water is going to the bowels.

            Prunes, Prune Juice, Dates, Papaya, bran ~ high fiber content, and high fiber content can also result in producing gas.

            Green leafy vegetables

            Oil ~ extra virgin olive oil, or any kind of vegetable oil in your cooking, salads, etc.

            We used Fruit-Eze:

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

            But you can probably make your own, or make a smoothie with the ingredients.

            Milk of Magnesia ~ Good old fashioned MOM. Unless it is contraindicated with your medications, it is the gentlest laxative and usually is effective within a few hours. Take with lots of water.

            Avoid constipating foods ~ bananas, rice, cheese, dairy products, red meat (hard to digest).

            Glycerin suppositories ~ softens stool in place

            Enemas ~ Not the most fun, but then neither is constipation. I highly recommend that you put the enema bottle in a cup of warm water prior to using it. Warms up the solution, which is more comfortable during application.

            Activia ~ This is supposed to help regulate the bowels, so it might be something to consider eating on a daily basis.

            As for the laxative alternatives, my sons both had terrible gas with Miralax. As I said, too much fiber isn't a good thing. Most laxatives (and other medications and OTC stuff) have Propylene glycol in them. We try to avoid those products. No one can convince me that it is good for us:

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

            I'm sure that we've all consumed a ton of it in our lifetimes. But when it's possible, I try to avoid it.

            Try treating your constipation in the most natural ways possible to see whether anything is effective, so that you don't have to use chemical alternatives. Once you get going again, try to maintain a regimen of eating properly and drinking plenty of water to keep the momentum going.

            Strive for regularity through diet and exercise as much as you can. Movement is important to good intestinal health, which is why my boys suffered from day one from constipation. Jon is bed-bound now, so it's a real challenge to keep him regular. He also can't tolerate real food. So it's MOM, suppositories, and enemas to the rescue.

            Sending healing energy your way for relief very soon ~

            Love & Light,

            Rose
            Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 12-20-2016, 04:54 PM.
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

            Comment


              #7
              My diet is amazing in terms of plenty of liquid, veg and fruits. Adding figs and prunes did nothing. Miralax is helping, maybe I should change to Senna?

              I will call them this morning again. And that's twice I struck out using the portal, which I had been told to use by the doctor. I think I will ditch the portal useage

              Comment


                #8
                My diet is amazing in terms of plenty of liquid, veg and fruits. Adding figs and prunes did nothing. Miralax is helping, maybe I should change to Senna?

                I will call them this morning again. And that's twice I struck out using the portal, which I had been told to use by the doctor. I think I will ditch the portal useage

                Comment


                  #9
                  Coffee works very well for me, even though I know I need to add more water.
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Coffee did nothing for me. I used a product called Enemeez for years.. Small, easy to insert, basically glycerine suppositories. Now with a colostomy I don't need anything..more often than not, I have very loose stool.
                    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

                    Comment


                      #11
                      :) The Sennosides like Sennalax etc, are very gentle and work well. Publix puts out a generic. Coffee also works for me. If I get diarrhea I use Immodium. I do the best when my bowels move daily. Jeanie :)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The secretary read his note. First was the sdvice to increase water and fruits and vegetables, like I am an idiot and never thought of that.

                        Then was advice to try to cut back to 40 mg day of Baclofen spread across three doses: 10, 10, 20

                        So, reading between the lines, this gives me the green light to reduce the dose. I reduced it to 50 yesterday. Will stay at that dose and see if spasms are still under control and whether comstipation eases. Then could reduce to 45 and finally 40 depending on spasm incidents and constipstion (i.e. Gut motility)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          BBS, didn't you know that they teach them in med schools that all patients are idiots?
                          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Duuuuuh.....I'z a patient....duuuuuh.....an I'z shmart!
                            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                            Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by SuzE-Q View Post
                              BBS, didn't you know that they teach them in med schools that all patients are idiots?
                              That explains it!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X