Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chiropractor and MS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Chiropractor and MS

    My husband recently went to see a chiropractor for his back problem. It has helped tremendously.

    The chiropractor indicated he could help me with my multiple sclerosis during my husband's last visit with him. I am skeptical. I have never had back problems. Therefore I have never seen a chiropractor for care.

    What do you think about the use of chiropractors for multiple sclerosis?

    #2
    I saw a chiropractor for years. I was convinced it helped
    Then I watched a program on PBS about chiropractic care. Big problems. The famous neck cracking is something the researcher specifically talked about that I remember. He talked about severe damage that can rarely occur with neck movements. I remember him saying he would NEVER allow it to be done.

    Th researcher went on to describe typical things a chiropractor tells patients. He debunked them all...the one leg being a tiny bit shorter then the other is one I remember. I have never gone back and I liked her very much.

    I have always wondered about something....the use of Dr. In front of a chiropractor's name. Not a medical degree. Not a Ph.D.....so, what is a doctor of chiropractic and where do those degrees come from and why do chiropractors get to use Dr.
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      #3
      Chiropractors often have a Doctor of Chiropractic degree but it isn't an MD or anywhere near its equivalent. The title of "doctor" is just a name they've assigned to themselves. It's on the level of someone with a Ph.D. in some subject like English deciding that he/she can be called "Doctor." Some people with Ph.D.s, especially in education, like to be called "Doctor" but they're not really entitled to the title even though their degree is called "doctor" of philosophy. To be absolutely accurate, only an MD or DO is entitled to the title of "Doctor" in the US.

      The differences in training and qualifications are shown on this chart:

      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      Many people like chiropractors and go to them instead of MDs or DOs. A doctor of osteopathy (DO) is on a par with an MD in training and experience but a chiropractor isn't.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        I have always heard they were quacks, even though I have one in my family line now, I would never go to one.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

        Albert Einstein

        Comment


          #5
          A man I was dating, once upon a time, had a friend who was a chiropractor. Tom met him at his office one day and saw the before and after xrays on the wall. Tom was impressed. "You did that?" The chiropractors answer: "No, I bought those from a vendor that comes around."

          Turned us both off to the profession.
          ANN
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

          Comment


            #6
            ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

            There are probably plenty of quack chiropractors around, but my experience with them has been positive. My husband loved his chiropractor in England, who was holistic and treated the entire being, physically, spiritually, mentally. We've never had our necks cracked. All of our experiences were gentle movements, which did relieve our pain. That's just our experience, of course, for what it's worth.

            As with any medical professional, it's useful to get referrals from friends and family, who are satisfied with their providers. We were referred to our chiropractors by people, whom we trusted and who we knew wouldn't exaggerate their benefits from chiropractic treatments.

            agate ~

            We refer to our dentists as doctors, which I think is appropriate, as they have a DDS or a DMD degree (Doctor of Dental Surgery or Doctor of Medical Dentistry).

            I regard our Veterinarians as Doctors.

            I always referred to my college professors as "Doctor," because that was what was accepted in academia. Having witnessed what my former husband endured to get his PhD, along with fellow PhD students in his discipline, I felt that the title of Doctor was earned. The dissertation process, the oral exam, it can be a grueling process. And for whatever reason, academia decided that this process was equivalent to a doctor.

            Interesting what titles mean and how they influence our thinking and our view of others. Being called "Doctor" is a status symbol. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call our medical doctors "Healers." Or Shaman.

            Love & Light,

            Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

            Comment


              #7
              Right before I was diagnosed and was getting to the point that my balance was way off I saw a Chiropractor who was highly recommended. He did do some x-ray of my spine and said I needed aligning. (You know Howie, like a car) I made an appointment to go back but then broke it. I saw the Neurologist who diagnosed me instead.
              Virginia

              Comment


                #8
                agate ~

                We refer to our dentists as doctors, which I think is appropriate, as they have a DDS or a DMD degree (Doctor of Dental Surgery or Doctor of Medical Dentistry).

                I regard our Veterinarians as Doctors.

                I always referred to my college professors as "Doctor," because that was what was accepted in academia. Having witnessed what my former husband endured to get his PhD, along with fellow PhD students in his discipline, I felt that the title of Doctor was earned. The dissertation process, the oral exam, it can be a grueling process. And for whatever reason, academia decided that this process was equivalent to a doctor.

                Interesting what titles mean and how they influence our thinking and our view of others. Being called "Doctor" is a status symbol. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call our medical doctors "Healers." Or Shaman.
                We all bring different experiences here, I guess. When I was part of academia, way back when, you weren't called "doctor" unless you were an MD or, as you point out, a dentist or veterinarian--someone with a medical degree who can prescribe medicine and treat patients.

                It wasn't the difficulty of the training involved that made the difference. It was what the training entitled you to do.

                It would be confusing if every Ph.D. answered the call, "Is there a doctor in the house?"

                And pity the poor patient if that happened!

                Also, there are people with Ph.D.'s who take advantage of the "doctor" title by giving their name as "Dr. So-and-So" when making restaurant reservations, for instance. If restaurants give special treatment to MDs, it's because their work deals with life-and-death situations.

                A Ph.D. isn't necessarily a philosopher just because the degree is "doctor of philosophy," and that person isn't an MD either even though the title says so. The title is misleading.

                There's a gray area when it comes to epidemiologists and clinical psychologists with Ph.D.s but not MDs. They might be called doctor--I don't know. I should think that there the issue would be whether the person treats patients and prescribes medicine. Nowadays PAs can prescribe medicine, and so the whole picture is even muddier than it used to be.

                I'm probably behind the times when it comes to who gets called "doctor."


                When I was part of the academic scene, no professor I knew was ever called anything but Mr., Mrs. or Miss. A few professors trained in Europe were called "Professor" by very respectful students, but never "Doctor."

                It sounds as if things have changed since my day. Just saying what it was like back in the foggy mists of time.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #9
                  [QUOTE=agate;60374]We all bring different experiences here, I guess. When I was part of academia, way back when, you weren't called "doctor" unless you were an MD or, as you point out, a dentist or veterinarian--someone with a medical degree who can prescribe medicine and treat patients.

                  It wasn't the difficulty of the training involved that made the difference. It was what the training entitled you to do.

                  It would be confusing if every Ph.D. answered the call, "Is there a doctor in the house?"

                  And pity the poor patient if that happened!

                  Also, there are people with Ph.D.'s who take advantage of the "doctor" title by giving their name as "Dr. So-and-So" when making restaurant reservations, for instance. If restaurants give special treatment to MDs, it's because their work deals with life-and-death situations.

                  A Ph.D. isn't necessarily a philosopher just because the degree is "doctor of philosophy," and that person isn't an MD either even though the title says so. The title is misleading.

                  There's a gray area when it comes to epidemiologists and clinical psychologists with Ph.D.s but not MDs. They might be called doctor--I don't know. I should think that there the issue would be whether the person treats patients and prescribes medicine. Nowadays PAs can prescribe medicine, and so the whole picture is even muddier than it used to be.

                  I'm probably behind the times when it comes to who gets called "doctor."



                  When I was part of the academic scene, no professor I knew was ever called anything but Mr., Mrs. or Miss. A few professors trained in Europe were called "Professor" by very respectful students, but never "Doctor."


                  Hi Agate,
                  I am not sure of your experience. But, in the academic and professional world, people who got a PhD are indeed called Doctor. These are people who have extended their education by many, many years beyond the baccalaureate degree. Usually more years than it takes to get an MD.

                  People with a PhD do not answer calls for a "doctor in the house". That would be silly and out of context in a medical emergency.

                  In our current world which seems to disrespect learning and scholarship, I give a person with a doctorate his/her due. Without these experts in the world we would all have to rely on Tweets for scientific information. And what would that get us? Trumpism and its tricks with truth, knowledge and academic integrity..
                  Linda~~~~

                  Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I must be woefully behind the times. I received my Ph.D. in 1974, and that was a long time ago.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                      agate ~

                      My former spouse earned his doctorate in 1972, so we're in the same generation. Some PhD candidates take up to 7 years to complete their dissertation, but my ex was able to finish in 3 years (with quite a bit of assistance from me, by the way ).

                      We called all of our professors "Doctor," at the university where he received his PhD, and at the university, where he first taught, and I finished my BS in Ed.

                      In 1974, I would have addressed you as Dr. Agate (or, of course, your real last name). In fact, I will address you that way now! You earned that title and deserve it.

                      Here's what I found on Wikipedia ~ interesting the derivation of doctorate and doctor ~ Latin for "to teach" or "teacher."

                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                      Dr. Agate ~ table for two!

                      Love & Light,

                      Rose
                      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
                        ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                        agate ~

                        My former spouse earned his doctorate in 1972, so we're in the same generation. Some PhD candidates take up to 7 years to complete their dissertation, but my ex was able to finish in 3 years (with quite a bit of assistance from me, by the way ).

                        We called all of our professors "Doctor," at the university where he received his PhD, and at the university, where he first taught, and I finished my BS in Ed.

                        In 1974, I would have addressed you as Dr. Agate (or, of course, your real last name). In fact, I will address you that way now! You earned that title and deserve it.

                        Here's what I found on Wikipedia ~ interesting the derivation of doctorate and doctor ~ Latin for "to teach" or "teacher."

                        Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                        Dr. Agate ~ table for two!

                        Love & Light,

                        Rose
                        My husband also got his doctorate in 1974. He is a chemical engineer. He was on a small team of engineers that developed the fuel cell that powered the first Apollo moon shot. His students always called him Dr.
                        Linda~~~~

                        Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                        Comment


                          #13
                          :)After my Masters a friend told me about a University I could work on my doctorate mostly online. I did all the courses and made good grades. At the end I submitted my dissertation. I got no letter or anything back and the phone number for the counselor I had been using would only take messages. I wound up being out over $6000. for that year and got no PhD or anything. It turns out it was a scam and they use the dissertations they receive to sell them to other doctorate students.

                          Still it annoys me that my paper was used by someone else. Not too long after that I had to quit nursing anyway. I was a MICU nurse and I did not want to be the MICU supervisor so maybe that was meant to be. I tried through a lawyer and their state attorney to get someone imprisoned but I never really got anywhere. However I believe in Karma. When you do evil it comes back to you.

                          The computer I did the paper on kicked the bucket so I lost my copy of it. I wish I had printed myself copy. Jeanie :)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Dr. Howie. I don't know how you feel about it, but I think it has a nice ring to it!
                            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                            Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                              #15
                              ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                              Linda ~

                              Wow! Your husband is awesome! (You already know that, of course!) My dad was a mechanical engineer, and he designed a seal for a rocket in the late 50's, which solved a long standing problem. My dad regretted that he didn't get a patent on it, but he was working for a company, which took the rights from him. Did your husband get a patent on the fuel cell for Apollo? Dr. Lazarus seems fitting for your husband!

                              Jeanie ~

                              I'm so sorry that you went through all of that and lost so much money to a scam. I hope that scam was shut down. What a shame ~ so much of your time and energy, writing your dissertation, all of that work for naught and then to lose money too. That's just so wrong.

                              Dr. Jeanie, you earned the title.

                              Howie ~

                              What's your specialty, Dr. Howie?

                              Love & Light,

                              Rose
                              Attached Files
                              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X