Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheelchair hunt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wheelchair hunt

    We went to wheelchair store today. They sell an easy to lift 20 lb with detachable big wheels. Made by Drive for $459,

    Medicare won't pay for it. He showed me what they will pay. It's too heavy to lift, about 50 lbs. and MORE EXPENSIVE.

    Is this Medicare way of saying, we only buy you a chair if you only leave it at home?

    The $459 I can swing that, but there weee no other chairs to try out for comfort. The seat was only 18x16 and I wished it were longer to offer more thigh support. It stops a few inches above the back of the knee.

    I found it hard to turn the wheels for more than a minute. It was on store carpet. He had none of that kind to rent to see if I like it.

    Comments?

    #2
    It's a beginning but sound like you need to see more wc's.

    When my father was home post-stroke, cancer and PAD surgery, my mother was having trouble transporting him. I told her about light weight wheel chairs. I called his doctor's office emphasizing the "lightweight" and "foldable" features that were needed.

    An hour later a durable medical equipment company delivered the very heavy wc that they use to transport patients around hospitals. Useless to my parents.

    ANN
    Attached Files
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-08-2017, 10:33 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

    Comment


      #3
      Does the $459 chair have smooth tires? Those are a b**** on carpet, or on anything but a smooth floor. You need tires with treads (which will add another $100 to your chair). I'm talking serious treads, not the smooth tires, or shallow treads.

      Medicare indeed will only pay for the clunky heavy models. Indeed, they don't expect you to go outside, or go on any surface but flat shiny floors. The 18x16 seat is standard on all models (from cheap to most expensive). Getting a longer seat will cost you more money.

      Moving any wheelchair with you in it is cumbersome, even the lightweight models. You gain strength over time, enabling you to push yourself further. I used to wheel independently across a huge parking lot. When I got out of bed 10 months ago I could barely wheel myself through the house. Over time I've gotten better, but still not back to the full parking lot yet!

      Spinlife.com has a chart you might want to look at, which gives you all the pertinent measurements for a chair -- foot rest angle and height, back heights, etc. And you'll get an idea about all the customization -- most of which cost extra -- that you might need to consider. Good luck!
      ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

      Comment


        #4
        Ok. I didn't know about treads. I will check.thanks. Will also check paying for longer seat.

        Seems like the local places have limited supply to try out different models.

        I liked spinlife website...but one cannot try it out.

        Comment


          #5
          I'm going to ask about wheels with treads too. I didn't realize that that was an option that would help. Thank you, Cat Dancer! These smooth wheels make travel on carpeting a real workout for the arms.

          Medicare/Medicaid paid for my original Everest and Jennings manual chair, which was pretty heavy (about 32 lbs.) and paid for this new chair about 6 years ago--a Breezy Ultra 4 (30 lbs.):


          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...


          The wheelchair sales rep did the measurements. I didn't try anything out either time but went with the wheelchair rep's recommendations. He seemed to know what Medicare would and wouldn't cover and dealt with getting the doctor's rx (the second time) as well. The first time I approached the doctor and discussed it with him, and he wrote the rx according to my specifications.

          This chair isn't nearly as lightweight as I'd wanted but after removing the easily removable parts (set, armrests, legrests, even the wheels sometimes) it's not so bad. The snap-on wheels mean that the main frame of the chair actually weighs a lot less.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            Turns out I hurt my back in May 8 at the wheelchair store. I tried to pick up the one Medicare covers, its 50 pounds. I don't know what I was thinking.

            So it's probably just a strained muscle, it's been slowly improving, luckily.

            Am thinking maybe it's a bad idea to use a wheelchair for now. Even with the 25 lb chair, it's a lot of bending and hoisting, and having to attach and detach the wheels in the 90 degree heat.

            If I get worse, I can skip right up to a motorized scooter.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by BBS1951 View Post
              If I get worse, I can skip right up to a motorized scooter.
              If you can skip, you don't need a scooter!
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

              Albert Einstein

              Comment


                #8
                What a shame, to have been injured in a wheelchair store while trying to lift one of those chairs that are usually heavier than you think they are.

                I'm finding the snap-on wheels daunting too. I've never snapped them on or off unassisted and wouldn't dare. I'm not confident that I could get the wheel back on because my vision isn't good enough to see what I'm doing on the inside of the wheel, where there's a (tiny!) pin that has to catch just right.

                I'm hoping my son can stand by while I give it a try over the weekend. With some practice I hope to get better at it.

                There's an illustration in the manual but I can't make out the detail, and it's NOT just my eyesight. The illustrations are all poorly done, muddy-looking.

                This whole mobility-aid scene could be a lot better than it is, at least for people with MS.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Agate, it is hard to learn all these things about mobility aids. Yesterday I used a cane to go into the Doctor's office and all I was carrying was my pocketbook and the cane and still I felt awkward walking. I think it is because I have become so clumsy.

                  I was thinking about a walker like the one Ann showed a picture of, but I think it weighed about 22 lbs. I am not sure I could carry that up and down my outside brick stairs, then put it in the car and get it out whenever I stopped. I don't know what the best solution is. I keep on trying to do without anything for as long as possible. If I used something like that it would be to go shopping, so then I would also have packages to carry and get back into the house along with the walker. If I did not have the outside steps it would help some, but would still be a problem if I bought very many items. I do wish I had a garage. I can see how one could help just to go for a walk in the neighborhood, but beyond that for my purposes I am not so sure.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Virginia, this is a hard question but is it time to think about living in building w an elevator and underground parking? Is that available there?

                    ANN
                    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Virginia,

                      Could you just leave the walker in the trunk of your car (if you have a secure trunk)? They fold up nicely and it isn't arduous to pull it out or put it back in, - a long time ago, I'd take my grandmother and put her walker/rollater in the trunk, then pull it out so we could run errands or go shopping together. It never felt like a real chore to get it in and out, it was like lifting a piece of luggage into or out of my trunk.

                      It seemed quite easy to manage getting it in and out. You could just go out to a mobility place and test folding it up and lifting it to trunk level to see how comfortable you are with it.

                      You'd still need to get your groceries into your house on your own, but at least you'd have it when you're out and about. The basket helps too to put your stuff in as you're walking around.
                      Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                      Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                      Comment


                        #12
                        That sounds like a good idea, SuzE-Q.

                        The rollator I have is said to weigh 20 lbs. but it weighs considerably less. It's 17 lbs. at most. I'm not sure I'd want to carry it up or down very many stairs because of the nature of the beast.

                        It's not just its weight. It's that I'd probably get tangled up in its legs or wheels somehow and go down. I wouldn't trust myself unless it was a very very good day.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Ann, I have looked at just such condos as you are talking about. In this area they are enormously expensive and would cost much more than I would clear from the sale of my townhome. I am not sure I am physically up to a move at this time.

                          Suze-Q good to see you back. I have thought of doing exactly what you are talking about. I would have to know that I could get it into my trunk and out. It would not help with anything other than going into stores, but not grocery store. I try to buy for a week when I can if I am at the grocery store. Then if I am feeling bad I don't have to worry for a little while. Once I am in the grocery store the cart I am pushing helps a little. I do not want to ride one of the carts that Howie uses because I am so awkward now that I can promise I would run into people and food and everything else. Maybe I should have practiced while I was in better shape, but of course at that time I didn't know what it would be like to be any worse. I guess I was hoping for the best and not preparing for the worse.
                          Last edited by Virginia; 05-12-2017, 01:12 PM.
                          Virginia

                          Comment


                            #14
                            ((((((Virginia)))))) ~

                            Would a stair climbing utility cart help you carry your groceries (and other items) up your stairs?

                            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                            My other thought is placing a ramp over your stairs, although that might require approval, if you have a homeowner's association.

                            Love & Light,

                            Rose
                            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Rose, it would require approval for a ramp. My neighbors and I have discussed this. We are not supposed to put one on the front and the back of my house is high and the ramp would need to go part way around the house and still would not reach my walk, so I would be on rough ground until I could walk to the walkway.

                              I like the rolling cart and think that I will order one. This would be mostly for carrying my groceries. The first one that comes up for $39.99 looks pretty good. If anyone has time take a look and see if you think any others might work better or be better to handle. I wonder if this bag is large enough. There is another one further down that cost over $100.00, but I am not sure how much better that would be. Maybe if any of you have had any experience with one of these and have time to look you might could tell me your thoughts.

                              Thanks so much for the ideas.
                              Virginia

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X