Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheelchair hunt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Virginia, look them up on amazon. Read the reviews.

    This is a good idea to help w the groceries but doesn't address balance and stability.

    Good luck,
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

    Comment


      #17
      I think you're talking about a rollator? How much I could carry in it was a big issue for me. I found out by looking at just about every rollator on Amazon that the detachable baskets tend to be small.

      When I got the actual rollator I realized that there's a reason for that. If you load too much onto the cart, it gets off balance and can tip over. However, I can trundle a washer load of laundry along with a medium-size bottle of liquid detergent to the laundry room here by putting them on my rollator. The bottle goes into the basket and the laundry bag goes on the seat.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #18
        Call your NMSS chapter they may have grant $$$ for this. It's only a phone call.
        Jan
        "never let it be too late"

        Comment


          #19
          Agate, I am thinking about the rolling cart just to get groceries into the house. I almost always have to make at least a couple of trips out to the car to get the groceries in. So that is all I want it for. Or possibly any small packages that I might have picked up at the drug store when I go there as well as grocery store. By the time I get my groceries in sometime I am almost crawling my legs are so heavy. If I have a couple of errands and then the grocery store it is hard. Also I usually stop at my mailbox and pick up my mail and I am always dropping mail and things coming up the walk because I try to carry more than I should to keep from making more trips than I have to out to the car.

          Ann, that's a good idea about looking them up on Amazon. I like to order from there anyway. I can get reviews.

          Thanks Jan, I don't bother with our NMSS. They do not have the reputation of helping people who really need it and I can afford the cart, so I wouldn't want to take something that could go to someone who could not afford something like this.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #20
            Well, I just ordered a trolley dolly pull cart from Amazon. Some good and some bad reviews, but seem like they all had that. I will receive it in two days so that is not bad. While I was on there I could not resist buying another kindle book. I got a brown bag for mine.
            Virginia

            Comment


              #21
              Virginia, I wouldn't be separated from my shopping cart for very long or I'd suffer from withdrawal problems. It's more or less like this but a little bigger. It folds up.

              Attached Files
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #22
                Agate, I considered one that was more like that, but ended up getting one that has the stair climber wheels. It has 3 wheels on each leg the best I can remember from last night. I just hope it is light weight and easy to fold and that the bag that comes with it opens wide enough to get all my groceries and packages in.

                I have to hold on to the banister with one hand when going up or down stairs, so this will hopefully free up one of my hands to do this.

                I can just see my neighbors watching and probably saying to one another "She finally figured it out". Little will they know that it was the people on here that gave me ideas.
                Virginia

                Comment


                  #23
                  Why do I love the motorized carts like I use at the grocery store so much? I wouldn't use the carts like you guys seem to like.

                  I used the normal carts at the store, until I fell one time. It was embarrassing to say the least. So I use the motorized ones now.

                  But, I still walk back into the house, and again, I fell once. I did the butt crawl to get back inside. I would toss the bags ahead of me, then as I caught up to them, toss them again, until I made it indoors.

                  Now, I break up my grocery shopping to 2 small trips instead of the marathon 1 trip for everything. Since changing to this strategy, I've had no problems at all.

                  Where there's a will, there's a way!
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Good strategy!
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Virginia, great idea!

                      Please let us know how it works out, if it fits the need!
                      Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                      Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Thanks Suze-Q, I am looking forward to doing my first big grocery run and then coming home and instead of making 3 trips to car and back, just putting all my stuff in the bag on the cart and rolling it easily down my walk, up my stairs and into my house. This is pretty much how the write-up for the dolly trolley went so naturally everything always goes the way the ads say.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #27
                          All my adult life I wouldn't have been without a shopping cart. An ordinary 4-wheeled one can be dragged up and down stairs though it can be a project if it's a heavy load. I couldn't have survived without a shopping cart. And hauling a cart several blocks through snow isn't easy but it can be done--it's just much slower.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I received my shopping cart today. It is light weight and was easy to put together. I like the bag that hangs on it, assuming it is big enough for everything when I come in from the grocery store. I think that it is. I have not yet tried it going up and down steps. It was hot here today and I did not go out. I have to go out tomorrow and I am hoping that I will feel up to grocery shopping while I am out. I need to replenish some things. Will let all of you know how it works. Agate it is not nearly as large as yours, but then it is shaped differently. I do not need one for laundry, since my laundry room is right here on my downstairs floor. The only thing I can think of that I need it for is carrying my groceries and other packages in.
                            Virginia

                            Comment


                              #29
                              ((((((Virginia)))))) ~

                              I hope that your new cart works perfectly and meets your needs. I will look forward to your update. May you have cooler weather for your shopping trip tomorrow.

                              Love & Light,

                              Rose
                              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Thanks Rose for the wish for cooler weather for my shopping, but it didn't happen.

                                Anyway, I had to go to two grocery stores and I had nine plastic bags of groceries. A number were double bagged because they were heavy. I stopped on the way in and picked up my mail (first time this week) so I was loaded down with catalogs and other things. I would have needed one trip just for mail. Anyway, I got my trolly dolly out of the trunk and proceeded to load it down. I ended up having to carry part of my mail, 1 bag of giant size cheerios, which do not weigh much and my pocket book. The cart was weighted down, so when I got in front of my steps I took the cheerios, mail in my hand, and pocket book and put it inside the house. Then I went back out and pulled the cart up the stairs. I pulled it by walking backward and holding on to he banister. It was still easier than if I had had to carry them by hand from the car.

                                I had quite a few heavy things today and quite a few bulky things. So all in all I was quite satisfied.

                                Before I started on my rounds I received a package from UPS just left on my porch. It was very large - larger than the one my cart came in and much more heavy. It should have gone to a house a couple of doors down from me, but to get to it you have to walk down my sidewalk and then turn and go two doors
                                down. I could not have carried the box (I thought it was something like Howie would get). It was for a motorcycle. Anyway, I just pushed my bag to the back of my cart and set the box on the tray at the bottom and wheeled that box down my stairs, over to their house and dumped it off.

                                I told the girls in the Dentist office about it today and they looked them up on Amazon. They liked the one I got and one girl is ordering one for her Mother-in-law. I do like mine.

                                Thanks everyone for thinking of it.
                                Last edited by Virginia; 05-17-2017, 08:07 PM.
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X