Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phones

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Phones

    Well, I think when my current cell phone plan, which I pay for yearly, runs out in June I will get an iPhone. Any input on what kind of smart phone each person has and how easy they are to use would be appreciated. I know all of you that have them can do anything with them, but I am talking about just learning to get around for someone who is smart phone challenged. I do not have anyone here to teach me, so I will have to set it up myself and learn on my own. I need the GPS on it.

    Any thoughts?
    Virginia

    #2
    iPhones start at around $700 each unless you buy into a plan where you pay for it over time on your monthly bill. My daughter got an iPhone 2 years ago after years with Android smart phones so that she could use the parental control program provided by Apple to keep track of her son's whereabouts and texts when he first got a phone. She says that the Androids are so much easier and have more useable features than the iPhone does and once she no longer needs it for kid tracking she would go back to a Samsung Android in a heartbeat. I have had Samsung for years and love it. They are 25%-30% of the cost of Apple.

    Comment


      #3


      There was a link to a ridiculously technical Wikipedia article in this space but I tried to replace it speedily with a New York Times article about 5G technology. Some people have probably used up their New York Times page views for a while, as I have, and so that link wouldn't have been very useful. Sorry.
      Last edited by agate; 05-20-2019, 05:41 PM.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        Cherie, Consumer Cellular has iPhone 6plus and iPhone 7 s for $300.00 to $400.00. I assume they are new because it does not say refurbished. Guess I need to check into that. The plan that I would get is only $15.00 per month. I talked to one of their reps this afternoon and asked her which phone they sell would be best for someone who had never used a smart phone of any kind and would be learning from scratch. She recommended that I get one of these.

        Agate, that article is way over my head. Anyway, I can't wait too long and keep the phone I've got because I think it is going to run out of minutes and I don't want to pay them for a year again. I can no longer access my account from my phone and I tried from my computer and they locked me out.
        Virginia

        Comment


          #5
          Virginia, I have an iPhone (8plus). I started w a flip phone and just used it for calls when I wasn’t home. Now, I use my phone for everything: phone, recorder, camera, video, podcasts, radio, alarm, email, on-line shopping, reading news, sending texts and following GPS maps and summoning Uber.

          We gave my mom an iPhone for her 93 birthday. She uses phone, texts, camera, weather app, alarm and YouTube. She had no prior computer experience.

          They are comparatively expensive. Samsung’s are rated just as good or better.

          I recommend that you get the phone you want and works for you. If that’s an iPhone, I’ll help with your questions. Your brothers can probably help.

          New iPhones are X (ten). They did not make a nine.
          ANN
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Virginia View Post
            Well, I think when my current cell phone plan, which I pay for yearly, runs out in June I will get an iPhone. Any input on what kind of smart phone each person has and how easy they are to use would be appreciated. I know all of you that have them can do anything with them, but I am talking about just learning to get around for someone who is smart phone challenged. I do not have anyone here to teach me, so I will have to set it up myself and learn on my own. I need the GPS on it.



            Any thoughts?
            I use a flip phone from consumer cellular. But I need to switch to smart phone also. No contracts. Good prices. Go to their website. I just looked. Apple iPhones for $400.00 and another for $500.00. My flip phone is Doro and I think they also have a smart phone.

            You can call them and always get help. Better than that, just go to YouTube and you will find videos showing you what to do. I do not subscribe to YouTube I just click on it by doing a google search. It is a gold mine.
            Linda~~~~

            Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

            Comment


              #7
              Ann, thanks for the offer of help. I am sure I will need it. I have a brother who has an iPhone 10, which I think he paid a lot for. However, he doesn't share information much with me. He is too busy with kids, wife and dogs. When we were at dinner last night I was watching him use it and it looked almost too big for me.

              I must be looking at the wrong prices on Consumer Cellular because the iPhones like 6Plus and 7 appeared to be less than the Samsung. The first day you get a chance will you look and tell me if I am looking at it right and if they are new. It doesn't have to be right away. I can wait a little while. I know my flip is good at least until sometime next month. As Linda said I can call them and get more help, but I was going to try to do that when I set mine up.

              By the way, I know you are a whiz on your phone, but can't help mentioning that you have had Peter's help. Lol I couldn't help myself. Howie made me say it.
              Virginia

              Comment


                #8
                The funny thing about that, Virginia, is that I often tell Peter how to do something. For instance, when you turn the phone horizontally, the photos turn. His was stuck. I unstuck it. Simple fix.

                ANN
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                Comment


                  #9
                  Virginia,
                  Yes.phones are new..

                  John and I have consumer cellular phones. Unlimited calling. I have texting on mine....anyway, we use them all day long. I use the alarm on mine to remind me what to do at certain times each day....etc. the actual bill I get is $54 a month for everything with both phones. Even though it is a flip phone I get FM radio if I want....there is no contract. I am sure that it will up the cost when I switch to a smart phone but you can control the price somewhat. By the way, the Doro phone is a great phone and maybe easier for us older folks! It is made somewhere like Denmark....or Sweden....?
                  Linda~~~~

                  Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Linda, it looks like they have $15.00 plans for 250 minutes and I think that covers iPhones or any phones. Maybe not, but I thought it did. You are probably paying about $25.00 per month plus taxes for each phone, which I think is a good price.
                    Virginia

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                      Cherie, Consumer Cellular has iPhone 6plus and iPhone 7 s for $300.00 to $400.00. I assume they are new because it does not say refurbished. Guess I need to check into that. The plan that I would get is only $15.00 per month. I talked to one of their reps this afternoon and asked her which phone they sell would be best for someone who had never used a smart phone of any kind and would be learning from scratch. She recommended that I get one of these.

                      Agate, that article is way over my head. Anyway, I can't wait too long and keep the phone I've got because I think it is going to run out of minutes and I don't want to pay them for a year again. I can no longer access my account from my phone and I tried from my computer and they locked me out.
                      They are up to iPhone 10 now so these are older technology and likely refurbished. If new, they may do well but even at this price are well over the cost of the android smart phones we have purchased over the years.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Good job Virginia on getting your Medical Alert working. You are a great self coach :)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Mom’s phone is my old 6 plus w the same operating system that I have on my 8 plus iPhone. So I know that would work.

                          Also, you may need a plan with minutes, for calls, and “data” for when you are using an internet function.

                          ANN
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Ann, you are dreaming big for me. Already got me going on the internet on my cellphone. I like that. I am thinking I might get the 6sPlus.
                            Virginia

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I just use my phone to talk. CVS will sent me a text message when my meds are ready, but as far as getting online, my laptop computer does that just fine. I never carry my phone anywhere. I'm not important enough that I can't be out of contact for a little while.
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X