Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    It's a short form of "microwave," I think. I've seen recipes that say "zap" or "nuke" instead. The length of time you microwave might depend on the wattage of your microwave. Maybe jingle will let us know what microwave wattage is meant for this recipe?

    I've never made candy. I've had the impression that it's pretty tricky but jingle's recipe at least makes the ingredients look easy enough.

    jingle, your peanut brittle looks so tasty that I'm getting hungry just reading it.
    Last edited by agate; 09-10-2023, 09:49 PM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #17
      'Wave means microwave. Put the dish back in the microwave and cook it some more minutes. I'm sorry Virginia, if I knew how to make post corrections I would do it there.

      Comment


        #18
        Good morning agate -- you are right! Thank you. I don't know the wattage on my current microwave but I'm made that recipe many times in many different microwaves and it's always worked. I've always been fortunate enough to have a built-in machine. And I've always had a big, nice glass, 8 cup measuring cup with a handle. That handle makes it easy to work with a hot dish.

        Comment


          #19
          Thanks Jingle and Agate. My brain just wasn't operating.

          I am going to write all this down and try it. Jingle it kind of sounds like to take to a church gathering or if I try it for our family reunion next month, that it might take a couple of batches. Guess I'll see when I make it.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #20
            Virginia - It might be difficult to find raw peanuts at this time of year and I use only the kind that have those brown "skins" removed. So I always have to buy my raw peanuts online. And if your humidity is high the peanut brittle will be a bit sticky.

            Comment


              #21
              I often buy peanuts in the shell and just press them open and eat them. Maybe you could get raw peanuts that way if all else fails. Those red skins just slide right off.

              Would that recipe yield about 10-20 pieces of peanut brittle? If I remember peanut brittle, it doesn't usually get cut into squares but is just broken off. Maybe the number of pieces you get depends on how hungry people are.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #22
                This recipe calls for RAW peanuts. The peanuts you buy in the shell are usually roasted. If they are raw the package is clearly marked. Peanut brittle can't be cut into squares, it can't be cut at all. You just break it into pieces and it comes out in all sizes and shapes. I SUPPOSE you could use regular, salted, roasted peanuts that come in a jar. I haven't tried that yet.

                I do use so many pecans in candy and cookies that I buy them inshell in 5 or 10 bags and shell them myself. I keep bags of them in the freezer ready to go.

                Comment


                  #23
                  A, I listen to books on my iPhone and purchase them through Apple. It is getting to be expensive, because I have listened to so many since July.

                  V, my migraines are quite disabling. I had them almost daily during the winter and spring. They have been much better during the summer, but I had to skip my August Botox appointment due to COVID and they are back. I am getting Botox on Friday!

                  I use Botox for migraines plus many other things.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by jingle View Post
                    I SUPPOSE you could use regular, salted, roasted peanuts that come in a jar. I haven't tried that yet.
                    Sorry to butt in here, but just a word on dry roasted peanuts from a former connoisseur.

                    Be sure to buy your favorite brand, not the store brand. I don't know what choices might be available anywhere else, but that means Planter's around here. Yes, they cost more, but there is a world of difference between them and the generics.

                    Salt. I don't know if the salt be a good addition. Planter's does have a low-salt offering, but you're still stuck with some. I don't know of any brands that have a zero-salt option.

                    Just my 2¢

                    Carry on. Lol

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Ikoiko View Post
                      A, I listen to books on my iPhone and purchase them through Apple. It is getting to be expensive, because I have listened to so many since July.

                      V, my migraines are quite disabling. I had them almost daily during the winter and spring. They have been much better during the summer, but I had to skip my August Botox appointment due to COVID and they are back. I am getting Botox on Friday!

                      I use Botox for migraines plus many other things.
                      Ikoiko,

                      There are boatloads of free audiobooks on YouTube. You might be surprised by what you can find there.

                      Here is a YouTube search link from my bookmarks library: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                      You can also search for titles, of course. This is just a starting place.

                      Hope this helps.


                      Almost forgot: Migraines. I hope you find relief soon.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I saw this in the news tonight.

                        Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                        In this case the right diagnosis was tethered cord syndrome.

                        Maybe someday, ChatGPT or something like it will help others, such as the people who used to post on MS forums about being caught in what they called "limbo" concerning their diagnosis. According to what I have read lately in Momentum magazine, the problem persists.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          F, thanks for the link.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            It's 48* this morning. 48*!! I think 48* is COLD. Oh, I dread winter.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              I am also dreading winter. This past one was awful for me.

                              I have lost a lot of weight, so I am now very sensitive to cold weather. I feel cold all the time in winter, even indoors. Just thinking about it makes me shiver and want to get under the covers.

                              As for 48°, that's not cold. That's FREEZING. lol

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Does exercise help, flatcap? I dislike winter too but then I also have my problems with summer. I do love fall and spring when the weather is so mild that I don't have to depend on a heating or cooling device.

                                One really great feature of the climate I live in is that spring and fall are often fairly long seasons, compared to the Midwest, where sometimes there didn't seem to be any spring at all. One day it would be 30', and the next day we'd be in the 90s.
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X