Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIOTIN -- lets blog our experiences here on Biotin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    BIOTIN -- lets blog our experiences here on Biotin

    Turns out the Biotin from NobleElephants is made in China, so I pitched it out. Plus it is only 1% and not 100% powder.

    So, I went to the FB page agate kindly spoke about, on Biotin for PPMS. Very informative!

    I just ordered a two months supply of 100% Biotin powder, not capsules from pure bulk.com

    The capsules I was taking from my local vitamins store gave me lots of gas. So that was a nonstarter. Who needs to take capsules with all the filler in it?

    I though I could post my thoughts and experiences here on this thread.

    The research on PPMS and Biotin just presented at AAN is stunning. Very compelling. As long as the powder doesn't contain heavy metals and insect wings, I think I have nothing to lose by trying it for the next eight months.

    It's about $26 month at pure bulk, I bought two months supply to start. Shipping over $49 is free.

    #2
    Are the AAN results these?

    Presented at the annual AAN conference, April 21, 2016 (Vancouver, BC):

    Quote
    S49.004 - 24-Month-Treatment with-MD1003 (High Doses of Biotin) in Progressive Multiple Sclerosis: Results of the MS-SPI Trial Extension Phase

    Ayman Tourbah,1Christine Lebrun-Frenay,2Gilles Edan,3Michel Clanet,4Caroline Papeix,5Sandra Vukusic,6Jerome De Seze,7Marc Debouverie,8Olivier Gout,5Pierre Clavelou,9Gilles Defer,10David Laplaud,11Thibault Moreau,12Pierre Labauge,13Bruno Brochet,14Frederic Sedel,5Jean Pelletier15

    1Reims, France, 2Nice, France, 3France, 4Toulouse, France, 5Paris, France, 6Lyon, France, 7Strasbourg, France, 8Nancy, France, 9Clermont Ferrand, France, 10Caen, France, 11Nantes, France, 12Dijon, France, 13Nimes, Cedex 4, France, 14Bordeaux, France, 15Marseille, Cedex 5, France

    Disclosures

    A. Tourbah: I have received consulting and lecturing fees, travel grants from Biogen Idec, MedDay Pharmaceuticals, Sanofi-Genzyme, Novartis, Merck Serono, and Teva Pharma.. C. Lebrun-Frenay: None. M. Clanet: ; Consulting fees and scientific advisory boards from Teva, Merck Serono, Sanofi Genzyme, Biogenidec, none, none, none, none, none, Biogenidec grant to my department (salary resarch technician). C. Papeix: teva, Novartis, servier, roche. S. Vukusic: Bayer-Schering, Biogen Idec, Genzyme, Novartis, Merck Serono, Roche, Sanofi Aventis and Teva Pharma, Bayer-Schering, Biogen Idec, Genzyme, Novartis, Merck Serono, Roche, Sanofi Aventis and Teva Pharma. J. De Seze: None. M. Debouverie: Biogen-Idec, Genzyme, Merck-Serono, Novartis The organizations mentioned in this statement did not participate in any aspects of the design, execution, analysis, or write-up of this study. O. Gout: O.Gout received consulting and lecture fees from Allergan, Almirall, Bayer-Schering, Biogen Idec, Genzyme, Novartis, Merck Serono, Sanofi, and Teva Pharma. P. Clavelou: Travel : Genzyme, Teva, Novartis Scientific Advisory Board : Almirall, Genzyme, Novartis Speaking : Novartis, Teva, Biogen. G. Defer: Dr Defer received personal compensation for scientific advisory board from Sanofi-Genzyme and Teva pharmaceutical Industries Ltd and has received funding for travel and/or speaker honoraria from Merck, My institution received grant from Novartis and Merck Serono for helping epidemiological and clinical research in MS. D. Laplaud: Yes, honoraria from Biogen, Novartis, Roche, Genzyme and Merck-Serono, grants from Novartis and Genzyme for financial support in basic science. T. Moreau: I report receiving consulting fees and speaking fees from Biogen Idec, Sanofi Aventis, Genzyme, Teva Pharma, Bayer Schering, Merck Serono, Novartis and Almirall., I received personal compensation as Editor in Chief for the journal entitled La Lettre du Neurologue. P. Labauge: None. B. Brochet: consulting, serving on a scientific advisory board, speaking: Biogen, Novartis, Teva, Genzyme, Merck Serono Roche, Bayer, Unconditional grants from Biogen, MedDay, Novartis, Teva, Genzyme, Merck Serono Roche, Bayer. F. Sedel: CEO of MedDay Pharùaceuticals, CEO and chairman of the board of MedDay Pharmaceuticals, shareholder, co-founbder and CEO of Medday pharmaceuticals, Yes, shareholder, co-founder and CEO of Medday pharmaceuticals. J. Pelletier: consulting, serving on a scientific advisory board, speaking: Biogen, Novartis, Teva, Genzyme, Merck Serono Roche, Bayer, Unconditional grants from Biogen, Novartis, Merck Serono.

    Objectives:

    To present the results at 24 months of the MS-SPI trial

    Background:

    High dose of Biotin, a co-enzyme for acetylCoA carboxylase, a potentially key-enzyme in myelin synthesis was investigated in progressive MS in a randomized placebo-controlled trial (MS-SPI).

    Results at 12 months demonstrated improvement of a significant proportion of patients (p=0.005), decreased mean change EDSS (p=0.014) and stabilisation of the clinical global impression of change (p<0.0001).

    Methods:

    MS-SPI is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled (2:1) trial of oral biotin 300 mg / day in patients with secondary (SPMS) or primary (PPMS) progressive MS.

    Duration of the placebo-controlled was 48 weeks. The blinded phase was followed by a 12-months pre-planned extension phase where patients under placebo were switched to receive MD1003.

    Patients and physicians remained blinded to the treatment administered during the first phase of the study.

    Results:

    The last patient will complete the study in December 2015. The database will be locked in January 2016. Full statistical analyses will be available by March 2016. Results of clinical endpoints will be presented and discussed in the context of other trials in progressive MS.

    Conclusions:


    The 24-month results of the MS-SPI trial will be discussed in the context of development of high doses of pharmaceutical grade biotin as a novel treatment for progressive MS.

    _________________
    Study supported by MedDay Pharmaceuticals

    And this paper by the same research group?

    S49.005 - Effect of MD1003 (High Doses of Biotin) in Chronic Visual Loss Related to Optic Neuritis in Multiple Sclerosis (MS-ON): Results of a Pivotal Randomized Double Masked Placebo Controlled Study


    Ayman Tourbah,1Carl Arndt,1Alain Vighetto,2Véronique Deburghgraeve,3Jean Pelletier,4Caroline Papeix,5Christine Lebrun-Frenay,6Pierre Labauge,7Michel Clanet,8Ahmed Toosy,9David Laplaud,10Patrick Vermersch,11Thibault Moreau,12Marc Debouverie,13Pierre Clavelou,14Olivier Heinzlef,15Jerome De Seze,16Gilles Defer,17Frederic Sedel,5Olivier Gout5

    1Reims, France, 2Lyon, France, 3Rennes, France, 4Marseille, Cedex 5, France, 5Paris, France, 6Nice, France, 7Montpellier, Cedex 4, France, 8Toulouse, France, 9London, United Kingdom, 10Nantes, France, 11Lille, France, 12Dijon, France, 13Nancy, France, 14Clermont Ferrand, France, 15Poissy, France, 16Strasbourg, France, 17Caen, France

    Disclosures

    [see Disclosures for the abstract above]


    Objectives:

    To report the results of the MS-ON study evaluating the efficacy of MD1003 over placebo in relapsing remitting or progressive MS patients with visual loss related to optic neuropathy

    Background:

    MD1003 (High dose of Biotin) has recently demonstrated efficacy in decreasing progression and improving walking disability in patients with primary and secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (MS)

    Methods:

    This is a randomized, double-blind, multicenter, placebo-controlled (2:1) trial of oral biotin 300 mg / day in MS patients with visual loss related to optic neuropathy. All patients had at least one eye with visual acuity ETDRS score ≤ 72 for at least 6 months.

    We included patients either with visual loss following an optic neuritis relapse (ON relapses, n=62) or patients with chronic progressive optic neuritis (progressive ON, n=31).

    Treatment duration was 24 weeks. The primary endpoint was the mean change in 100% contrast visual acuity at “month 6” from baseline of the selected eye (defined as the eye with the worst visual acuity and showing worsening during the past 3 years). Other endpoints included visual evoked potentials, automated visual field perimetry, optic coherence tomography and patient reported outcome measures.

    Results:

    The last patient completed the study in August 2015. The database was locked in late September 2015. Full statistical analyses are awaited.

    Baseline characteristics:

    93 MS patients (62 with [optic neuritis or ON] relapses and 31 with progressive ON) from 19 sites across France and UK were randomized. Results of primary and secondary endpoints will be presented during the meeting.

    Conclusions:

    Results will be discussed in the context of development of high doses of pharmaceutical grade biotin as a novel treatment in MS.
    ________________
    The study was supported by MedDay Pharmaceuticals

    There was also this article in Multiple Sclerosis News Today (April 27):

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...


    Last edited by agate; 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #3
      BBS1951, what are you going to mix the powder in?
      Virginia

      Comment


        #4
        My plain fat free yogurt I eat every breakfast.

        Comment


          #5
          Here is a link. Might be same study but it's a different set of results
          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
          Last edited by Sunshine; 04-28-2016, 02:37 AM.

          Comment


            #6
            Not on it. Maybe should be.
            Love, Sally


            "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by SalpalSally View Post
              Not on it. Maybe should be.
              Yes. Fifteen per cent of people with PPMS got significant improvement versus 0 per cent of those on placebo. Maybe we will be in the lucky 15%!

              Comment


                #8
                The powder arrived. Now I gotta order either a scale to weigh each dose or a "smidgen" spoon measurer which measures 1/32 tsp. Take that dose three times daily for a year and see what happens.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Measuring out 1/32 of a teaspoon would be tricky. Could you ask a pharmacist about the best way to do that? Good luck with it!
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I just ordered a digital scale as well as a smidgen spoon, which will assist me in getting an exact dose. I imagine after a month it will be so practiced I may not always need a scale if not at home

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Wow, there really are measuring spoons for 1/32 tsp.! Of course there would be, come to think of it--I just never saw one before.

                      I found some on Amazon.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        BBS1951, this is going to be an interesting experiment. I will be awaiting the results. Just hope they are good ones.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I've been taking close to 100mg/day for a bit now. Will be buying it in bulk soon too so I can increase my intake.

                          My nails and hair are growing nicely.
                          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I got mine at Purebulk.com. The stuff from Noble Elephant is made in China, and I try to not consume stuff made in China. Course you don't always know if you are taking a pill made in China, but ...


                            BE SURE to order it 100% Biotin, not 1%

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think I'll ask if I can get it here.? Any side effects?
                              Last edited by SalpalSally; 05-02-2016, 08:09 AM.
                              Love, Sally


                              "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X