Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tongue bitting,age and MS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    tongue bitting,age and MS

    I have a friend with a family history of MS and they wanted to know if it was possible for tongue bitting to be a symptom? Also can you get MS at any age?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

    #2
    Yes, you can get MS at any age, and having a family history of it might increase your chances of getting it......at least according to some researchers.

    Tongue biting: probably not a symptom, but the tongue is a muscle....so if it is weakened because of nerve damage, or the face or jaw weakened, difficulty eating nor swallowing could lead to tongue biting, I suppose

    Comment


      #3
      Maybe if one of those jaw muscles was going into spasm, it would cause tongue-biting?

      There's been quite a lot of attention to MS in children recently. For a long time it sounded as if it almost never cropped up in anyone under about the age of 20 but they've been finding out that kids can have MS too. And people over 40 or 50 or even beyond can develop MS.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        I was 44 when Dxed.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

        Albert Einstein

        Comment


          #5
          What uppity cats said!
          Love, Sally


          "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






          Comment


            #6
            I have had tongue-biting problems and swallowing problems too. The problem isn't as bad these days but I did just bite my tongue in this past week. Does feel like a spastic jaw tightening thing and I do not feel a lot of pain it is just a nuisance and weird to me.
            DAR
            R/R 1993
            Draw close to God and he will draw close to you. - James 4:8

            Comment


              #7
              DAR, that's good you don't have a lot of pain when you do it because I've accidently done it a few times in my life, and it HURTS!
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

              Albert Einstein

              Comment


                #8
                Can you get MS if you are over 65? THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES!
                Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
                  Can you get MS if you are over 65? THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES!
                  It would be very unusual to develop MS at that age, but it is possible.
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I am not sure you develop it at that age, however it is possible to have it and not be diagnosed until you are that old. I was 63 when diagnosed.
                    Virginia

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I thought I remembered hearing about some people who were diagnosed at around 65, and in a few seconds of Google search I found a site where at least one person was diagnosed at age 65.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Maybe it's a whole new classification of MS like, "Late Onset MS".
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I've bitten my tongue several times but never associated it with MS. In fact I think it was prior to suspicion of MS.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Well, there's a statement at the top of the page when you visit this board--a description of MS:

                            The disorder is most commonly diagnosed between ages 20 and 40, but can be seen at any age
                            Parsi, I've bitten my tongue quite a few times but thought it was just my somewhat misaligned jaw that was responsible. If funnylegs is talking about someone whose tongue-biting happens often--once a day or so--that might be a symptom of something. In any case it would be annoying.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I googled tongue biting dementia and came up with severe hits. I did that because I vaguely remembered someone talking about that at a lecture. Most if the dementias star at older ages, with a few exceptions, and tongue biting and other mouth movements seem common in them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X