Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I currently have 16 books in recorded form from the library. They aren't due for nearly a year and so I have a while to read them but I've already decided not to bother with a couple of them because they didn't appeal to me once I got into them a little.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      Originally posted by agate View Post
      I currently have 16 books in recorded form from the library. They aren't due for nearly a year and so I have a while to read them but I've already decided not to bother with a couple of them because they didn't appeal to me once I got into them a little.
      Oh, dear!! Agate, you just gotta' give a book a chance. I remember sitting in a restaurant just starting my first Fredrik Backman book. It seemed like nothing - just boring, usual, same things. Then after a few paragraphs I burst into tears ......... sitting in a restaurant I was bawling hard. The dear waitress came carrying a handful of napkins and said, "Good book, huh?"
      Now I buy every Backman before it's in print and can't wait for the next. Boy, that man can write!!

      Comment


        Oh, I do give them a chance, jingle. Sometimes I'm halfway through them before I give up on them.

        Books that make you laugh or at least smile are nice too.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          Jingle, I am so glad you brought this up. I am about to get one of Fredrik Backman books on my kindle and I can't decide which one to get. I was looking at "The Winners" when I found that it is his last book in a series of 3. I know it is very long. Should I read the other two books first or will 3 be overkill about the same people. Have you read any in this series?
          Virginia

          Comment


            Originally posted by Virginia View Post
            Jingle, I am so glad you brought this up. I am about to get one of Fredrik Backman books on my kindle and I can't decide which one to get. I was looking at "The Winners" when I found that it is his last book in a series of 3. I know it is very long. Should I read the other two books first or will 3 be overkill about the same people. Have you read any in this series?
            I've read every word he's written. I did enjoy his earlier books more. And I sure didn't see his las three as a "series" .... all three are good separate books. But if I had to start over I would look at his early books first. Did I make any sense?

            Comment


              Yes Jingle you did make sense. However, I already bought the first book of the 3 trilogy series. I decided I would read them in line with the way they were written. But, if I am a little tired at the end of book one I will remember to go back to one of his earlier books and then maybe read book 2 of the series.
              Virginia

              Comment


                I read parts of Why I Read: The Serious Pleasure of Books by Wendy Lesser. The author makes a strong case for reading. She includes a list of 100 books she's particularly attached to.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  I finished the first of the Beartown books by Fredric Backman. I did enjoy it, Jingle. I have already got the 2nd book in the series. However, I am going to read an easy read in between. I will read another Nicholas Sparks books and then go back to the much longer Fredric Backman book.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    I have a Beartown book in my house! I will have to read it.

                    Comment


                      I highly recommend it Ikoiko. I have been busy trying to get my Rebif and haven't started another book yet. So when I do start one I will decide if I should read the 2nd Beartown book, the Nicholas Spark book or the Michael Connelly book. All 3 are sitting in my Kindle waiting for me.
                      Virginia

                      Comment


                        I finished all 3 of the Fredrick Backman books in the Beartown series. I really did. enjoy these books. The last one "The Winners" was a long book. I like long books if they are good and all three of these were.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          V, you are a fast reader!

                          Comment


                            Ikoiko, I am a fast reader, but I also have been devoting all my spare time to these 3 books. They kept me sane (or at least partially so) while dealing with the id theft debacle. I am not much of a TV person.
                            Virginia

                            Comment


                              Instead of reading before bed I have been listening to podcasts. Unfortunately it has really cut into my reading time.

                              Comment


                                I have listened to a few podcast. A couple were good, but I decided I had rather read. Maybe I am not very adapt at choosing podcast.
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X