Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tic Chic, I also read all of the Sue Grafton alphabet books. I enjoyed them.

    I did start rereading the follow up book to The Kitchen House last night. I decided it had been long enough that it would not spoil it for me. I usually don't read a book twice.
    Virginia

    Comment


      agate,

      i found this short article on wikipedia about the band amy tan played in. it's on hiatus right now, but the other members of the band are surprising

      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      y'all might enjoy reading this!

      jeannie (tic chick)
      WE ARE BT!
      "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
      "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
      "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

      Comment


        Yes, the Rock Bottom Remainders! The band's name seems like a good choice.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
          I use audible and the readings are quite good. Just finished The Dutch House and tom Hanks was the reader.

          Is there a monthly fee, or just a fee to “buy” the audible? And do you have to listen to it on your iPad?

          Comment


            There is a monthly fee. I believe it’s 14.95 a month. I can’t remember how it works. I think there are different plans. You can also buy an additional 3 books for $35 or something like that.
            Be the person your dog thinks you are

            Comment


              Sunshine, I haven't tried Audible but according to its Website,

              [COLOR=rgba(20, 20, 20, 0.65)]Enjoy your titles on iOS (Apple iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad), Android, Sonos, Kindle and Alexa-enabled devices. And when you switch a device, pick up right where you left off.[/COLOR]
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                I download books in my IPad and iPhone . I can listen to books on either but generally use my phone because of ease.
                Be the person your dog thinks you are

                Comment


                  Originally posted by agate View Post
                  Sunshine, I haven't tried Audible but according to its Website,
                  Sunshine, in addition to the info SSusan gave @15$ a month, I keep getting audible credits somehow and I purchase book with the one free credit I get fairly often. I did recently buy 3 additional credits because that gives me books for about $11 . In addition audible produces original material and once a month you get to pick two of them for free.

                  I listen on my 2 iPads and it follows from one iPad to the other seamlessly.
                  Linda~~~~

                  Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                  Comment


                    I just finished The Arthur Trulov Story. I really liked it. Short but sweet. Now I have to choose another book.
                    Virginia

                    Comment


                      The Brail Institute has an audio book program that's free. My mother used it. My older brother would pick out books for her from a list regularly.

                      After my stint in the hospital I was set up with visits from a home health agency (fully paid for by Medicare). A couple of days ago I had 3 visits by the home health agency, a RN who monitors my health, an occupational therapist who checks out things in the home and makes suggestions to help in daily living, and a medical social worker who offers and educates me and helps set up the programs available to me through Medicare.
                      The medical social worker tells me that because of my double vision, I am eligible through the Brail Institute for their free audio book program and asked if I would like it! Yes, yes, yes!
                      She is going to set it up. After her next visit I will update you all on how this goes.

                      I googled the Brail Institute audio book program. Sounds like anyone visually impaired or disabled can get audio books free. Here is info. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                      More in depth info. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                      Requirements and how to sing up. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                        I just finished The Arthur Trulov Story. I really liked it. Short but sweet. Now I have to choose another book.
                        I have Arthur Trulov downloaded. It is waiting for me.
                        Linda~~~~

                        Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                        Comment


                          Last night I again stayed up way too late finishing the book I was reading. The name of it is The Stars are Fire. It was good and I enjoyed it. Got it off Linda’s book club list.
                          Virginia

                          Comment


                            nuthatch/Joan, the Braille Institute you linked to seems to be one of the regional branches of the National Library Service (NLS) Talking Books program and that particular branch is for California people in certain counties only but anyone in the US will have a regional branch of that service and it will have access to the same materials and use the same system and equipment. In California there seem to be the Braille Institute as well as the Braille Talking Book Library. They are in different locations and serve different parts of the state.

                            List of the California regional library branches:

                            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                            It can get confusing at times but the blindness industry is VAST.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              I just sent my mother four books. Several were recommended in this thread.

                              The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

                              The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

                              Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger

                              Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton

                              Thank you for sharing what you read. I’m still spending my time watching YouTube videos. Linda, I love Charles Dowding!

                              ANN
                              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                              Comment


                                I'm starting in on several novels by Dawn Powell. I'm halfway through the first one, Dance Night (1930).

                                Most people won't have heard of her but she was writing in the 1930s and 1940s.

                                A little about her here:

                                Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X