I just started John Grisham’s latest novel called The Guardians. I read a couple of his years ago, but nothing recently. This one looked interesting and is starting off good.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Book Club: What are you reading?
Collapse
X
-
Originally posted by Virginia View PostAnn, I read The Women in the Castle. I think your Mom will enjoy it. I have Next Year in Havana (mostly because it appeared to be pretty long), but it will be awhile before I start it. I am half way through one and then I have to do my taxes.
I really liked The Women in the Castle. Well researched and fascinating look at those times from a whole different perspective of the people on the periphery of horrors.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
I was listening to a book on audible. Really did not like it. So I scrolled to the end so it would show as finished in my library.
When they asked me to rate it I put one star in each category.
Immediately audible sent me a message saying they were removing the price I paid from my account AND that I should pick another book as a gift. I picked a book by Malcolm Gladwell and it was downloaded for free.
Pretty good service!Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
No specialist account. Just good business practice by amazon which owns audible.Originally posted by agate View PostThat sounds like something they don't do very often--could you be in a special category, a Highly Valued Customer or some such?Last edited by Lazarus; 01-25-2020, 11:58 PM.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
I finished The Guardians by John Grissom. It was pretty good because I liked the main character. He was a lawyer who got on a merry-go-round as some do and had a breakdown. While recuperating he found God and became an Episcopal Priest. Then he found his true calling when he started being an attorney for the wrongfully accused. He remained a Priest as far as when it suited his cause he would get his collar out, but he actually mostly acted in the capacity of attorney.Virginia
Comment
-
I am reading Malcom Gladwell’s “Talking With Strangers”....it is non fiction and very goood. Gives you lots of informed analysis of how we react to people who are talking to us whether we are simple folks like us! Or government officials in positions to act on information they gather. It is well told and reads like stories so entertaining and thought provoking.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
A delightful listen. James Taylor has a book that just came out on audible only it’s called great shot. It’s a memoir of his first 21 years. It is him playing guitar and singing all through it with the story life. If you’d like sweet baby James or that are of James Taylor it is wonderful.I love memoirs when the reader is the author.
And it is free.Last edited by ssusan; 02-03-2020, 07:36 AM.Be the person your dog thinks you are
Comment
-
Originally posted by ssusan View PostA delightful listen. James Taylor has a book that just came out on audible only it’s called great shot. It’s a memoir of his first 21 years. It is him playing guitar and singing all through it with the story life. If you’d like sweet baby James or that are of James Taylor it is wonderful.I love memoirs when the reader is the author.
And it is free.
60 Minutes had a long piece last night with him and mentioned the audible book. He is a very interesting fellow. When a teen he was quite distraught and spent time at McLean (sp) hospital near Boston .....you might be able to watch the CBS story online. I got it by going to the CBS site. Actually it may have been on CBS Sunday morning. One of those two shows anyway.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
Just started 'Where the Crawdads Sing' by Dehlia Owens.
For years, rumors of the "Marsh Girl" have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life--until the unthinkable happens.
Where the Crawdads Sing is at once an exquisite ode to the natural world, a heartbreaking coming-of-age story, and a surprising tale of possible murder. Owens reminds us that we are forever shaped by the children we once were, and that we are all subject to the beautiful and violent secrets that nature keeps.
Comment
-
Audible gave it as a freebie along with the 2 audible originals they give each month. I am pleased to have it tucked away for when I finish listening to Malcolm Gladwell’s Listening to Strangers which is not only interesting but a very timely book since listening to others is no longer a viable skill we all possess.Originally posted by Lazarus View Post60 Minutes had a long piece last night with him and mentioned the audible book. He is a very interesting fellow. When a teen he was quite distraught and spent time at McLean (sp) hospital near Boston .....you might be able to watch the CBS story online. I got it by going to the CBS site. Actually it may have been on CBS Sunday morning. One of those two shows anyway.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
Nuthatch, you are in for a treat if you are just beginning the book. I read Where the Crawdads Sing and thought it was good. I am just now starting Caleb's Crossing. This was set in the late 1600s. I am not sure yet if it is good or not. It is long and written differently so I am trying to take it all in, but I am just on page 30.Virginia
Comment

Comment