I'm reading Our Towns: A 100,000-Mile Journey into the Heart of America by Deborah and James Fallows--by a couple who spent several years traveling around to various towns in the US and writing about them. (James Fallows is the editor of The Atlantic.)
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Book Club: What are you reading?
Collapse
X
-
I just finished Strout’s book Abide With Me. Really good. As I was getting to the end I was so involved with the story that I could not stop reading. I just wanted to know how it would all play out.
(Abide With Me is an old hymn). Good reading about people you become interested in....real people living their own profound life confusions.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
Sample of the Strout book:
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
I'm intending to read Olive Kitteridge because I liked the movie, and now I'll be looking up Abide with Me.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
Coincidentally, a surfing friend gave me a book this week called The Patron Saints of Liars by Ann Patchett. I have just started it and so far so good. balancing it with finishing up the Robothon book of The Other Wife.Originally posted by Virginia View PostFinished The Dutch House by Ann Patchett. I am not sure who recommended it but I think it might have been Ssusan. Enjoyed reading it.
Comment
-
The book club I go to just sent me the Reading list for the next year. Maybe some of you know These books?
January 22, 2020
discussing: The Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve
(picking up: Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware)
February 26, 2020
discussing: Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware
(picking up: Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kiernan)
March 25, 2020
discussing: Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kiernan
(picking up: Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly)
April 22, 2020
discussing: Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
(picking up: Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson)
May 27, 2020
discussing: Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michelle Richardson
(picking up: The Library Book by Susan Orlean)
June 24, 2020
discussing: The Library Book by Susan Orlean
(picking up: The Two-Family House by Lynda Cohen-Loigman)
July 22, 2020
discussing: Two-Family House by Lynda Cohen-Loigman
(picking up: Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan))
August 26, 2020
discussing: Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan
(picking up: Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver)
September 23, 2020
discussing: Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver
(picking up: The Dinner List b Rebecca Serle)
October 28, 2020
discussing: The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle
November 26, 2020
No MeetingLinda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
Have fun reading, Linda! I don't know any of those books or authors except Susan Orlean. I've read one of her books--I think it was called The Orchid Thief, and I liked it. I've read some books by Barbara Kingsolver too but not that one.
Is it a discussion group focusing on women authors?
How are the books chosen? Do all of you vote on them?Last edited by agate; 12-05-2019, 01:38 PM.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
Just an ordinary book club at the town library which is one mile from my house. We call our group the “page turners”. We read whatever strikes our fancy but one of the librarians runs it and she picked these books. She has to be able to gather enough books from other libraries...many members need large print books.Originally posted by agate View PostHave fun reading, Linda! I don't know any of those books or authors except Susan Orlean. I've read one of her books--I think it was called The Orchid Thief, and I liked it. I've read some books by Barbara Kingsolver too but not that one.
Is it a discussion group focusing on women authors?
How are the books chosen? Do all of you vote on them?
We have been together for 20 years and meet at the library.Last edited by Lazarus; 12-06-2019, 08:35 AM.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
Oh my gosh...I am reading a great book. The Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve.
Wonderful plot incredibly good writing style and the most intimate look into ordinary marriages I have ever read.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment

Comment