Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Just got an email that Michelle Obama’s new book..released today..will be in my mailbox by 8:00 pm today. Love Amazon’s preordering system!
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      Linda, I am jealous! I want to read that book and should have put in for it already.
      Virginia

      Comment


        Linda I ordered it, so at least I will get it I guess by the first of the week. I could have gotten it on Kindle and wish I had gone that route.
        Virginia

        Comment


          I got Michelle Obama's book. It's really good. Personal, heartfelt, close up to her life as a child, young woman, meeting Barack and then their campaign for president. I've read about 80% of it.

          Comment


            I sent it to my mom. She gets it tomorrow.

            ANN
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

            Comment


              I heard someone say on TV that she was the most popular of all Democrats. They said they thought it was because she was so real and honest and raw about her emotions.

              I might get my book tomorrow.
              Virginia

              Comment


                Sunshine, Michael Connelly's new book, Dark Sacred Night is out. I just bought it on Kindle. It is a Bosch and Ballard book. She is Rene Ballard.
                Virginia

                Comment


                  I finished Michelle Obama’s book....I am so glad I read it. Really, in the midst of so much to be sad and worried about in the direction of our country, remembering the bright and shining moment that led to the Obama administration buoyed my spirits and renewed me.

                  The book is long. I have trouble with my eyes. So, I bought the physical book and also bought it on audible. ( Michelle Obama reads her own book). So I read and listened. And that was a spectacular way for me. The listening was so good that when I opened the book to read I recognized where I was and what I had already read/listened.

                  One of my first thoughts was that there was excessive detail about her early life. Wrong. Oh was I wrong. This book is crafted to fully embrace the political whims and the country’s developing sensibilities over the almost 55 years of her life.
                  As she ‘beomes’ we also become. I can see my own growth and still glimpse the country’s growth during those years. No matter the slippage now....there is goodness and hope.

                  Rose and Cat and Ann and Agate, Sunshine, Virginia, Howie...etc...the book will put into full display the nefarious and
                  criminal backdrop of what happened. Your mind will go click as you get perspective on all the evil threads that have been there from the beginning...and put into the small hands of trump. Often as I was reading I saw connections and realized this all started way before Trump announced his attention to run. All the power brokers in the republican party set this in motion long before we noticed.

                  If it seemed shocking to hear McConnell’s pledge to make Obama a one term president it was shocking because I was blind. . The stage is set through this book and the reader simply needs to make connections. And never lose sight of how much kindness can blanket this earth. Michelle Obama has become great. Truly.
                  Last edited by Lazarus; 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM.
                  Linda~~~~

                  Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                  Comment


                    I look forward to reading it. Some years ago I read a biography of her--Michelle by Liza Mundy (2008).

                    Michelle Obama's father had MS.

                    I'm always impressed when a recorded book is read by the author. You'd think that many authors would be far too busy to spend time reading their book aloud and recording it for others to read. It's even more impressive that Michelle Obama has taken the time to do this because she must have far more demands on her time than most authors.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      It really is a good book so far. I am at about page 180, so I have just over half left to read. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
                      Virginia

                      Comment


                        I finished Michelle Obama's book. She is so honest, warm and human in every way. She is devoted to her family and friends and keeps her long time friends. She is especially an advocate for young people, and especially girls. But kids and young people are her real cause. Of course she also took on the Veterans at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, and her garden and many other initiatives.

                        She truly is a remarkable lady who just speaks the truth. We need to hear that now. There is so little of it. She tries always to remain optimistic, even in the worst of times.

                        I hope all who love to read will try to read this book. I can think of so many people I know who would benefit from reading this, but I cannot even mention that to them. It would cause so many problems.

                        While, the book is long, I did not loose interest at any time. Such an interesting life - even her growing up years were very interesting.
                        Last edited by Virginia; 11-24-2018, 08:51 PM.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          I look forward to reading it. The biography of her that I read a while ago didn't say much about her father--or his MS. Since she grew up in the same part of Chicago at almost the same time as my kids, I'll be especially interested in what she has to say.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            Mom finished it and says I must read it. She’s saving it for me.

                            ANN
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                              Sunshine, Michael Connelly's new book, Dark Sacred Night is out. I just bought it on Kindle. It is a Bosch and Ballard book. She is Rene Ballard.
                              Thanks for the heads up I got to get it!

                              Comment


                                Thanks for the book review, Lazarus! I wasn’t planning on reading it, but now I must read it. I have always admired Michelle Obama.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X