Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
    Are they all grim?
    I wonder why they chose Pachinko. I know three people who read it and none finished it!
    I finished it. I was glad I did. Turns out it is memorable if flawed.
    As with any book club the books are all different
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      I've started reading David Grann's "Killers of the Flower Moon."
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        Originally posted by agate View Post
        I've started reading David Grann's "Killers of the Flower Moon."
        Great! I will have to follow what you think of it.

        The short stories in “ what it means,,,,,man falls from the sky”. Are really interesting. I might not have realized were it not for the discussion I follow on Facebook. You can locate questions and discussion on your book on the now Read This site.
        Linda~~~~

        Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

        Comment


          I will finish Educated tomorrow. It has been intense. I have loved seeing the author’s evolution. It is not a straight line however. It moves kinda like the stock market. It goes up and up and plunges at fear of ...
          Be the person your dog thinks you are

          Comment


            I also finished Pachinko and actually enjoyed it.
            Virginia

            Comment


              Ok, that’s good, because I couldn’t figure out why it won awards. Clearly it speaks to lots of readers. I might be in the minority.!

              Comment


                I am reading a great book, All Over But the Shoutin by Rick Bragg
                I highly recommend it. He grew up in soul crushing poverty in Alabama and honors his mother for her strength and fortitude. He became a famous journalist, write for the NYT, beautiful essays on the forgotten , the traumatized, on his time in Haiti, on the South etc.

                Anyway, I can imagine him writing a story about many of us here. Who struggle but maintain their honor and dignity.

                Someone once said Bragg lent dignity to his subjects. He refuted it and he essentially said he highlighted the dignity that was already there.

                I highly recommend the book, if you like to read. It’s in my Top Ten books I’ve read in the last 20 years.

                Comment


                  Earning The Rockies by Robert Kaplan. ( How Geography Shapes America’s Role in the World.). He is telling the story of America’s power in this non fiction readable journey through the country..So far, that’s what I got! Impressive.

                  This is what I copied from the PBS website about the book:

                  It “is a mix of road trip, memoir, history and political analysis by Robert D. Kaplan, a geopolitical thinker and bestselling author of 18 books on foreign affairs and travel. Through the lens of landscape, the book examines where we’ve been as a country, where we are today and where we may be going.

                  In a review of the book in The New York Times Book Review, Jonathan Rauch, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, wrote that “Earning the Rockies” was written prior to the 2016 election, but “there is more insight here into the Age of Trump than in bushels of political-horse-race journalism.”

                  In the coming days, we’ll post discussion questions for the book, an annotated excerpt, and writing advice from the author.
                  Last edited by Lazarus; 09-02-2018, 03:48 AM.
                  Linda~~~~

                  Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                  Comment


                    13 Stradomska Street: A Memoir of Exile and Return by Andrew Potok.


                    I had read another book by this author years ago. At the time the Seattle-area Talking Books library had its own radio station, and you could get a radio on loan from them and listen to its programming. Sometimes books were read. You'd listen each day at a certain time for the next installment of whatever books you were interested in. Or maybe it was Dick Estell, whose book readings were offered on a local radio station each evening, who read this book. In any case I had read (=listened to) another book by this author back then--Ordinary Daylight : An Artist Comes to Terms with Loss of Sight. He tells about his experiences with his diagnosis of retinitis pigmentosa, a rare genetically related disorder that causes a slow decline into blindness.

                    In 13 Stradomska Street, written when the author was 85, he discusses his involvement in a piece of real estate in Poland that should have been his. His family had left Poland (or stayed to face concentration camps) during the Holocaust. The real estate issue is far less important in the book than is his account of his life and his reflections on many different topics. This book has been well worth reading.

                    Some information about him here:

                    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      Loving ,’Cutting for Stone’ By Abraham Verghese
                      Be the person your dog thinks you are

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by ssusan View Post
                        Loving ,’Cutting for Stone’ By Abraham Verghese
                        Great ."I read it and liked it a lot too.
                        Linda~~~~

                        Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                        Comment


                          People call it one of the great books. I tried it, but couldnt get into it. Strange to have such different reading likes!

                          Comment


                            I recently finished this book.

                            David Grann is the author, and the title is Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI (2017).

                            Part of eastern Oklahoma was given to the Osage nation when they were "resettled." It was very poor land, and then oil was discovered. Suddenly every member of the Osage nation was rich. The wealth was a very mixed blessing, and this book discusses a series of suspicious murders of Osage people in the 1920s, murders motivated by greed. The FBI, then in its infancy, was instrumental in tracking down some of the killers.

                            It's a very sad but true story.

                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              OMG! I am on page 100! It’s no literary prize, but it’s a fascinating true story.i am stunned to learn about the Cruelty to Native Americans,

                              Comment


                                I am still waiting to read a book that I have had in my Kindle for a long time. Face is definitely better, so maybe I can start it in another week. I am still uncomfortable enough that I can't read yet.
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X