Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Has anyone read Philip Roth’s book, The Human Stain? It was referred to in something I read. It said it was his magnum opus

    Comment


      #47
      Library just called. Gentleman from Moscow is in now! Am looking forward to reading it !

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by BBS1951 View Post
        Has anyone read Philip Roth’s book, The Human Stain? It was referred to in something I read. It said it was his magnum opus
        I haven't read the book but did see the movie, which was interesting as I recall.

        I now have a recording of the Amor Towles book from the library and will be starting on it as soon as I finish Mansfield Park.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #49
          It looks like BBS and Agate will be reading the book A Gentleman in Moscow at the same time. You both have a treat in store. I can attest to that because I have read it.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #50
            Yep. Just picked up the book after an “event”at the library.
            Last edited by Sunshine; 01-09-2018, 12:00 PM.

            Comment


              #51
              I think some of you would like books by Catherine Ryan Hyde. No swearing, no overt sex, good stories, with a morality about them. And questions for discussion or thought at the end. I've read most of them. I think they're probably available in most libraries. Many of them are done as talking books, too.

              Comment


                #52
                Thanks for the tip! Sounds like my kind of book,

                Comment


                  #53
                  I will certainly take a look Cat! Thanks for telling us.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Boo! Howdy folks :) I just recently go back into reading and am reading on my favorite subject, Star Wars I'm reading book #3 of a 10 mini book series called "Jedi Quest". These books take place between movies 3 and 4 when Anakin Skywalker is just a padawan.

                    Great idea for a thread btw ;)
                    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                    Question: What's wrong with my account?

                    Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

                    It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

                    Step 1 - log in
                    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

                    Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

                    Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Started A Gentleman in Moscow. Right off the bat the narrator says, “A man must master his circumstances or be mastered by them”, (I assume he also referring to woman” .

                      That is a nice way to describe what we are all trying to do. Master our circumstances

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Book lagging around p. 75 ish. Putting it down for a day In favor of something with more kick. It’s like putting down the steak for some Thai curry dish

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Sorry BBS, because if you go a little further it will really get good.

                          I finished Evict. Good book but not nearly as good as A Gentleman in Moscow.
                          Virginia

                          Comment


                            #58
                            I have this rule: if the book doesn't catch my interest in the first fifty pages, I stop and go on to another. Life's too short to spend it reading a book that doesn't interest you!

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by Catdancer View Post
                              I have this rule: if the book doesn't catch my interest in the first fifty pages, I stop and go on to another. Life's too short to spend it reading a book that doesn't interest you!
                              Yes, I have the same rule. Maybe Inwill break it in Virginia’s advice that air picks up and gets really good. Maybe skim the next 25 pages, looking for the part that really gets good

                              Comment


                                #60
                                I've started A Gentleman in Moscow--so far, it seems interesting and well written.
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X