Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    Finders keeper is a good book, the second in a trilogy. My guess is you read the first, Mr Mercedes. Enjoy! I am re reading 11/23/63

    I tried hard with Gentleman in Moscow, but finally quit on pg 150.

    Liked Girl on a Train very much!

    Comment


      #77
      Has anyone read And The Mountains Echoed, by the guy who wrot Kite Runner?

      Comment


        #78
        Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
        Has anyone read And The Mountains Echoed, by the guy who wrot Kite Runner?
        No. But I will look for it and get it since I like 2 other books he wrote. If I remember he is an MD but I forget what his specialty was.

        I am reading “Homecoming” by Yaa Gyasi. Interesting reading experience as an app for Audible popped up on my iPad and I looked up this book and started listening to my one free book. So I am reading AND listening! Sometimes I read a chapter and then listen to it and read along again...sometimes I am just listening to a chapter and sometimes I am reading and listening at the same time. It is interesting. It is easy and it is interesting.

        Anyway, the book traces the abduction and selling of slaves from Africa to America through many hundreds of years. The characters are clearly drawn and their life stories are compelling...and the chapters are short.
        Linda~~~~

        Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

        Comment


          #79
          Just finished Ashley Bell. Kind of took me for a loop near the end but I enjoyed it. I like when I can't guess what is really happening, makes it all the better. Now I have started Breathless by Koontz.

          I just can't get into biographies and autobiographies. I have read one and that was the really annoying, very controversial radio show guy I'll be danged if I can remember his name even though I can see his face.

          I have ready very few histories though I did read a few that involved the War of the Roses and The Hundred Years' War.

          Also true life murders I don't read. I know how bad people can be I prefer my horror to be fiction. My mother loved those even though they would leave her with nasty nightmares.

          Comment


            #80
            Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
            No. But I will look for it and get it since I like 2 other books he wrote. If I remember he is an MD but I forget what his specialty was....
            I looked up Khaled Hosseini, the author of Kite Runner:

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...


            Also Yaa Gyasi:

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

            Both spent their earliest years in other countries (Afghanistan, Ghana). The books sound interesting to me.

            houghchrst, I don't read biographies and autobiographies very often but I do read them if the person is someone I'd really like to know more about. I hardly ever read biographies of celebrities (movie stars, royalty, athletes) because the media has already given far more than I want to know about them.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #81
              That sounds very interesting Laz.

              Re biographies. Sometimes they’re interesting to me...I liked Walter Isaacsons book Einstein.

              Comment


                #82
                I like a lot of biographies and autobiographies, especially if they are about people who were important to history and maybe lived during my lifetime, and I mean early life.

                I almost hate to admit it but I am reading Fire and Fury. I am just over half way through and have been pretty bored by it. Really, just nothing in there that most of us who read the news or watch the news had not heard, but I will finish it. I know Cat and Sunshine say just stop a book you don't like, but there have been very few that I have stopped.
                Virginia

                Comment


                  #83
                  I'm regressing in age, rereading Cats Cradle, In went through a Kurt Vonnegut point in my teenage years, I figured I should give it another read 40 years later.
                  soul

                  Comment


                    #84
                    That was one of my absolute favorites!


                    Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                    Comment


                      #85
                      I never read it! Thanks for posting it ;)

                      Comment


                        #86
                        I've heard of Cat's Cradle, but can't remember if I have read it. I will look it up.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #87
                          I haven't read it but have read several other works by Vonnegut, especially Slaughterhouse Five. I'd like to read Cat's Cradle too.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            Virginia, I hate putting down books midway through too. I also figured I'd heard all the highlights of F&F in his interviews or on the news that I wouldn't bother reading it.

                            Absolutely loved Kite Runner, will have to read more of his works.

                            Can't recall if I've read Cat's Cradle either.

                            I only thought Girl on the Train was so-so...when I'm asking myself questions in my mind because things don't seem to be really adding up, it's not a good sign. I was hoping it was going to go in a different direction than it did because I thought it started off strong.

                            Nothing new on my plate, will pick up one with good feedback from here!
                            Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                            Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                            Comment


                              #89
                              I just finished reading Brooklyn. Not bad, but had kind of a quirky ending, however upon reflection I can't see any other way for it to end. One of those things where I sort of feel that I was left in mid air.
                              Virginia

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Originally posted by SuzE-Q View Post
                                Virginia, I hate putting down books midway through too. I also figured I'd heard all the highlights of F&F in his interviews or on the news that I wouldn't bother reading it.

                                Absolutely loved Kite Runner, will have to read more of his works.

                                Can't recall if I've read Cat's Cradle either.

                                I only thought Girl on the Train was so-so...when I'm asking myself questions in my mind because things don't seem to be really adding up, it's not a good sign. I was hoping it was going to go in a different direction than it did because I thought it started off strong.

                                Nothing new on my plate, will pick up one with good feedback from here!
                                My book club discussed Girl on the Train yesterday. It was a lively meeting...ran over our time limit even.
                                I started by saying I really understood and appreciated the descriptions of the main character’s drunken feelings of hazy recollection/confusion. It was frightening for her to not quite be ‘with it’. Sounded just like brain fog to me!

                                That started the discussion which was great and ranged over the whole book. We also discussed the book’s style with people noticing how the murderer said the same thing to different women he was trying to destroy...to weaken their confidence. Very Hitchcock like. The more we shared the more we liked it. I brought up the observation that I read somewhere...the only time the girl went anywhere was when she got off the train. Nice paradox.

                                Just started amy Bloom’s “Lucky Us” by Amy Bloom.. so far it is interesting. Two sisters...bad parents all around. The two daughters are independent and strike out on their own. So far, so good.
                                Linda~~~~

                                Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X