Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
    I just started “Wicked” for my book club selection. I was surprised by the colorful and imaginative first 4 pages! I think I will enjoy spending time in this OZ with Dorothy being described as a leader, a Mighty Girl. Hope it continues being entertaining.
    Who wrote Wicked?

    Comment


      Gregory Mcquire. I am one degree of separation from him. Peter's Best Man takes care of Mcquire's computers.

      ANN
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

      Comment


        Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
        I was loving your droll comment, “except that so far it doesn't seem likely to have an actual plot.”
        Well, I'm on the 10th and last section and still no sign of a plot. There's been mention of a mugging though, and that just might turn into something resembling a plot. You never know.

        Several characters were introduced, and there are some details about them, but then they're left dangling. I keep hoping Cusk will tell us more, and maybe that will still happen.

        If it doesn't, the book looks a lot like some assorted travel notes the author jotted down during a trip to Greece and decided she could make them into a novel. The story takes place in Greece.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          What keeps you reading the book?

          Finally , End of the Night by John McDonald arrived on inter library loan. Stephen Kong said it’s the best crime novel ever.

          I started it and it is very good so far! And I didn’t care for his Travis mcghee novels. This one is different. Not wisecracking or tongue in cheek. A stand-alone study of character, capital punishment.

          Comment


            I've heard a lot about John McDonald and am glad you mentioned this title. I should definitely try one of his books. I'm looking into crime novels--I'm on one by Ian Rankin at present but so far have no opinion.

            The book by Rachel Cusk that I mentioned (Outline) turned out to have something to say by the end. There is a plot in a way--a woman who agrees to go on a boat ride, and then another, with a man she's met on a plane and knows little about. She and the man are alone on the boat, and he's in charge of the boat. It would strike most readers as a precarious situation for an unaccompanied woman but she reports it matter-of-factly. Later on, her attitude seems to change.

            \
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              I spent over an hour, I think almost 1 1/2 hours on chat line with Amazon today. I have been having trouble downloading my books. They use to just zip to me. So she said tell me what kindle you have. I said where do I find that. She told me where and I told her what I had. She said there was an update I needed. I said is this safe because I had to deregister my device and then register it, and the kindle told me that if I did it I might loose everything I had saved (over 200 books). She said I could always go on Amazon and download them if anything happened. So I deregistered and then registered and didn't loose anything. It took a long time because on a small keyboard like that my tremor gets worse and I have a problem hitting the right keys.

              Then I downloaded a book by David Baldacci. I had not read one by him in a long time. This is his latest and the name of it is The Fallen.
              Virginia

              Comment


                Virginia, I'm so glad you didn't have to lose all of those books!

                A new library audiobook came today--What Happened by Hillary Clinton. I requested it so long ago that I'd forgotten I asked for it.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  For terrific crime novel agate, try The Poet by Michael Connelly.

                  Comment


                    Sunshine, I read that, like all his books and I do remember it being good. I will admit that sometimes they run together when I am thinking back on them.
                    Attached Files
                    Virginia

                    Comment


                      I haven't read this but since it's a novel about someone with MS by an author who has MS, it might be of some interest--So Lucky by Nicola Griffith. The reviewer found it "original but disappointing," and I probably won't read it but wondered if anyone else has read it?

                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        Hadn’t heard of it. Thanks for the heads up Agate.

                        I enjoyed End of the Night very much. An excellent study of character, evil. So much better than his Travis McGee books,

                        Am reading The Girl in the Glass by Susan Meissner. So far it is good. I love The page before the novel starts: “Everything you can imagine is real”— Pablo Picasso

                        Comment


                          Bill Gates recommends:

                          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                          Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                          Comment


                            Those all look interesting! Thank you

                            Comment


                              I saw only a third of the program about this but went to the Website to vote. PBS-TV has an ongoing arrangement where you can vote for your favorites from a list of 100 novels chosen in a national survey as the novels most loved by Americans. Voting continues until October 18, and you can vote once a day. You can vote for the same book every day during that time, I believe.

                              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                              Comment


                                Agate, this is a good way to remind yourself of books you might want to read. I voted for about 8 of them. Thanks for the link.
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X