Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by agate View Post
    I'm trying another mystery--this time by Peter May, The Blackhouse.

    And I'm going to try Elena Ferrante again. I gave up on the first book of her series of novels when I was not even halfway through it.
    It's called My Brilliant Friendand is the first of four novels with the same characters and the same story unfolding over time.
    I gave up too! I even bought the book on audible thinking at least I would get through it for my book club. Nope. I couldn’t even get through listening to it. Is it HBO that has it playing now?

    I just finished The Women in the Castle..by Shattuck. One of the best books I have read in a long time.

    All I can say is that in these cold, dark days, the books I read make me very �� happy.
    Linda~~~~

    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

    Comment


      Breakfast withBuddha, a delightful lfincion book about a food editoraccidentally traveling with a Buddhist monk, guru, and learned about himself and more.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
        I gave up too! I even bought the book on audible thinking at least I would get through it for my book club. Nope. I couldn’t even get through listening to it. Is it HBO that has it playing now?

        I just finished The Women in the Castle..by Shattuck. One of the best books I have read in a long time.

        All I can say is that in these cold, dark days, the books I read make me very 😊 happy.
        About Elena Ferrante, I've heard so much talk about her books, and am aware that now there's a movie, that I thought maybe I should try harder. Also, I've heard that one of the two women who are at the center of the story disappears, and I keep wondering if she ever is found.

        Then there is the question about Ferrante herself. The name is a pseudonym but it's believed that she's a translator, and some have even said that her husband might have written her books, or large parts of them. She keeps insisting that it doesn't matter who she is.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          Originally posted by agate View Post
          About Elena Ferrante, I've heard so much talk about her books, and am aware that now there's a movie, that I thought maybe I should try harder. Also, I've heard that one of the two women who are at the center of the story disappears, and I keep wondering if she ever is found.

          Then there is the question about Ferrante herself. The name is a pseudonym but it's believed that she's a translator, and some have even said that her husband might have written her books, or large parts of them. She keeps insisting that it doesn't matter who she is.
          Yup...Ferrante has a mask of mystery wrapped around her but I still am not going to go back to that anchor of a book.��
          By the way, the book starts with the disappearance of one girl which is the girl as an adult who leaves on her own and the book focuses on the son and friend left wondering. I think. Then the book turns around and follows the two girls through unrelenting small detail about their lives growing up...

          I am sure that I was supposed to pay attention to something...the society, the economics of their lives....the paths from childhood to adulthood and the dumb luck that determines our paths....I just did not care enough to live with or within the book to follow the characters.��
          Linda~~~~

          Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

          Comment


            Breakfast with Buddha is changing my life incrementally

            Comment


              I finished The Women in the Castle which Linda recommended. It was an historical novel, during and right after World War II. I too enjoyed this book a lot. I think Linda already told what it was about and reviewed it for us.

              When I start another book I am going to be reading a book set in the South. Ssusan recommended this one and reviewed it.

              I have gotten some really good tips on here about reading material.
              Virginia

              Comment


                While not feeling well over the week-end I started a book by Sue Monk Kidd. The title is The Invention of Wings. Ssusan first mentioned it on here and I remembered the author so I got it on kindle. It really is a very good book. Very well written.

                It is about a girl in the early 1800s who, at the age of 12, is given a slave about her age. They become friends. However, as the book progresses they are separated by distance for long periods of time. She had taught the slave to read even though it was against the law, so occasionally they correspond. The main protagonist goes on to become a well known abolitionist and speaks in Philadelphia, New York and New England against slavery. Then she and her sister begin to speak on Women's rights. Oddly enough, the women's rights was more frowned upon than the anti-slavery at that time.

                I just highly recommend this book. It is really a good read. I chose a good time to read it since I was not feeling well and it somewhat took my mind off that.
                Virginia

                Comment


                  That does sound like an interesting story.

                  I'm back to Elena Ferrante and have already got farther along in it than the first time. I'm still on the first of the 3 novels. It's a total of about 45 hours of listening (for all 3 of them).
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    I am reading “the Wife”......good. Well written and tightly woven ...I like it because it keeps me alert. I have to notice everything to gain insight into the real relationship. Like all relationships....complex.
                    Linda~~~~

                    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                      I finished The Women in the Castle which Linda recommended. It was an historical novel, during and right after World War II. I too enjoyed this book a lot. I think Linda already told what it was about and reviewed it for us.

                      When I start another book I am going to be reading a book set in the South. Ssusan recommended this one and reviewed it.

                      I have gotten some really good tips on here about reading material.
                      Which book did SSusan recommend? Was it -Educated-? That was really good also.
                      Linda~~~~

                      Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                      Comment


                        I am reading Uncertainty by Pema Chodron. It is illuminating. It sheds light on Buddhism. Helps me cope.

                        FInished Breakfast with Buddha, a terrific novel.
                        Now wil start Lunch with BUddha.

                        Hard to read with this new cataract surgery eye until I get proper glasses.

                        Comment


                          Linda, I read Educated and I agree it was good. However, the one Ssusan recommended was The Invention of Wings, which is the one I just finished.

                          I will look up The Wife and see what I think.
                          Virginia

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                            Linda, I read Educated and I agree it was good. However, the one Ssusan recommended was The Invention of Wings, which is the one I just finished.

                            I will look up The Wife and see what I think.
                            The wife is the one that is a movie now with glen Close. Meg Wolitzer. The public television/ NYTimes book cl is reading it now.
                            Linda~~~~

                            Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                            Comment


                              Has anyone seen or read the book Sunny Days a true story about a weather reporter woman who is diagnosed with MS.

                              Comment


                                Would it be this one?

                                Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X