Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entirely Offtopic: Amazing Facts About and Experiences Of Me!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    That reminded me that I talked with Walter Cronkite at a benefit for quite awhile. He was interesting. Then later we had our picture taken on the dance floor. He put his arm around my waist and pulled me over and said he was always happy to have his picture taken with a good looking lady. His wife was right there.

    I didn't have my picture in a Chicago paper, but when I was either 16 or 17 I was in our local paper. There were a couple of other people in the picture, but I was featured. I was President of my Distributive Education class and was being honored for that.

    Later when I was about 24 I was on the front page of the hometown newspaper of Collierville, Tn. I was working in an office that had just opened there and they featured me as being the only lady in the office.

    Not much - maybe something else will cross my mind.
    Virginia

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
      I waltzed with John Kenneth Galbraith in the Harvard Boat House one December.

      Dancing, I miss you.

      ANN
      Ann,
      In Northampton MA there is a wonderful Indian restaurant. The owner’s father was Galbraith’s chef! I do not remember all the details but I think I have the main one right!
      Linda~~~~

      Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Howie View Post
        Well, let me see if you are a late nighter.....like me!
        Not me...in my thirties I was always up til 1 or 2 am. Now I am abed by 9pm and the first one up in the household around 4 or 5am.
        ---------------------------------------

        I'm really glad others are celebrating memories and experiences in this thread :) Walter Chronkite !!!!! ( I feel that my swooning here is not unmanly, not at all)
        *another random thought *

        Comment


          #19
          Really nice, Virginia! You made an impression on Walter Cronkite, who probably wasn't easily impressed.

          When in high school I had to go downtown with a group of other seniors to have our photos taken for the yearbook. We were in one of the big office buildings in Chicago where there was a photography studio that did class photos. As we were milling around in the hall of that building, someone passed the word around that Charlton Heston was right there in the hall.

          We all stood there and gaped. Some people might even have had the nerve to ask for his autograph--I don't recall. But there he was. I wasn't a big Charlton Heston fan but certainly knew who he was.

          That was my one fleeting moment in the vicinity of a famous person.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #20
            One thing I learned from being so handicapped is that there are no ordinary people. I have had time to chat with otherwise invisible people, the grocer, the downtrodden surfer, pretty much anyone, and some of them have had amazing adventures, and some have had very interesting things happen in their past.

            People look ordinary, but there is no such thing. They may have done an act of incredible kindness or bravery that no one else would’ve done, and they don’t talk about it, unless someone takes an interest in them. People tell me about their lives because i take the time to listen, and I don’t bring the conversation back to myself I guess.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Sunshine 2 View Post
              People look ordinary, but there is no such thing.
              This is, in my opinion, a moving and powerful contribution to this thread! Thank you
              *another random thought *

              Comment


                #22
                Some folks seem to be running low on amazing facts about and experiences of me...

                Since the 1990's I have been building/assembling/refurbishing my own computer systems. Even with limited funds, this allows me to operate a more powerful than necessary for home use, albeit dated, device. I delight in how responsive my machine is...like driving an old sports car.

                Often called upon to assist family members and their friends when they experience hardware/software failures I am sure to repeatedly issue disclaimers as I am entirely self taught and quite incompetent !

                This incompetence and self taughtedness permeates my existence: furnace not working? I'll take a look...dishwasher? Water well? Car? Plumbing? Wiring? Wireless network? I have fixed them all. I have enough confidence that I can "figure it out" to do an adequate if unprofessional job on almost anything. When people inquire as to my occupation (I look so "able") I often tell them, "I fix things.". This is, as I'm sure many know, very helpful when existing at or near the poverty line.

                I have resisted cell phones for years as they were obviously "for rich people". When my youngster entered school we acquired a pre-paid flip phone for emergency contact and kept it active over the years. Only recently have I gone full bore "smart phone" (used of course) with a regular service plan (just like the rich people!). My 17 year old helps me with it; she being the typical young person has an innate ability to operate technology and my abilities seem to be dying off a little!

                ----------------------

                When I say " You know, I've been thinking..." or "I have an idea" my wife says "Oh, Gawd!" in a nervous but charming southern accent
                Last edited by RandomThought; 12-16-2020, 05:08 AM. Reason: I make a lot of mistakes!
                *another random thought *

                Comment


                  #23
                  Agate's Charlton Heston story reminded me that while I was working at the Pentagon one day about mid afternoon, having gone without lunch, I took a break and went up one floor to a little snack bar. When I came out I looked up and there just a few feet away was John Wayne walking down the corridor with a Colonel. I was the only one around and could have walked up to him but didn't. I heard them talking and his voice was just as it was in the movies. Then other people started seeing him and rushed up to him wanting autographs. One asked for it but apologized for doing so. He said in his deep voice "That's alright, that's what I am here for". I thought that was nice of him.

                  When I got back down to my office I told a couple of people that I had just almost walked dead into John Wayne. One lady grabbed some paper and a pen and ran out of the office. She came back with his autograph for her children.

                  Back then famous people were always coming to the Pentagon. Mostly they would be down on what we called "The Mall", but this little snack bar was kind of on a corridor that was away from everything important. They might have been on their way to the Mall.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                    Agate's Charlton Heston story reminded me... I looked up and there just a few feet away was John Wayne walking down the corridor with a Colonel. I had just almost walked dead into John Wayne.
                    Now those are some prime run-ins with famous people !
                    *another random thought *

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Howie View Post
                      Well, let me see if you are a late nighter.....like me!
                      Wait a minute, Howie. That post was 4 days ago. Here come the hens.... I can just pluck them out of RandomThought's Profile where he has conveniently posted a pic:

                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        While we are waiting for Howie and his cat to turn up... Here is another amazing and mildly interesting experience of mine:

                        I have had on a couple of occasions the pleasure of interacting with the woman who as a child gave voice to the character "Lucy" in the Charlie Brown specials. I found her very pleasant and helpful. Guessing she may have grown weary of going over her iconic role with everyone she encountered I never mentioned it. She in return,kindly, never called me a blockhead!

                        (thanks for the hens Agate )
                        *another random thought *

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Agate, our resident detective, found the hidden chickens! Bonus points!

                          ANN
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Actually, I think that was a very kind thing to do Random Thoughts. Those people do sometime get tired of people asking about things like that. Maybe though she thought you didn't realize who she was.

                            By the way, in case you didn't know you can't hide anything from Agate.

                            Do you raise hens?
                            Virginia

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Okay, this is a true story - every bit of it!

                              I have a certificate that says "Let it be Known that Virginia Joyce ascended into the sky in a HOT AIR BALOON This memorable occasion took place in Wake County on the 15th day of November 1987." Then it is certified by two different people and of course has the name of the balloon I flew in and the company it was owned and operated by.

                              Now for the unusual part:

                              We lifted off about 20 miles east of Raleigh, which is where I live. Another balloon took off just before us. They went to the right of us and had no problems. We went left and about the time we wanted to come down there was no where to land. We were looking down at the top of cement buildings. I began to get nervous, but kept my mouth shut since I knew the pilot was aware he was in trouble and I didn't want to make it worse. We had gone down low, just barely above tree tops so if he saw some grass he could land. We flew over a subdivision and it was one that my then best friend lived in. She and her daughter ran out of the house and her daughter was taking pictures. I was waving and yelling at her and she not knowing we were in trouble was yelling "Virginia it's beautiful".

                              My friend didn't know it because she had come out her back door, but two police cars were driving slowly in front of her house. It is against the law to fly over neighborhoods like that. The pilot had told us to be ready to bend our knees. We crossed some railroad tracks and he saw just a small area of grass and he yelled "Now" and took it down. The police were waiting for us. I went over and talked to them to try and divert them away from giving the pilot a ticket, but they gave him a ticket anyway. By the way, to add to this horror story we were about a block or two from some power lines and flying straight for them when we landed.

                              I will never fly in another hot air balloon. They gave me and the person I was flying with a bottle of champagne and we uncorked it right there.

                              My friend thought I purposely was flying over her house so she could she me.
                              Virginia

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                                Actually, I think that was a very kind thing to do Random Thoughts. Those people do sometime get tired of people asking about things like that. Maybe though she thought you didn't realize who she was.

                                By the way, in case you didn't know you can't hide anything from Agate.

                                Do you raise hens?
                                Agate is quite the sleuth I say.

                                When my youngster was about 7 years old we raised a small flock of chickens and found the fresh eggs delicious. Sadly, her favorite chicken, "Chickers", suddenly took ill and passed away. My daughter became a vegetarian that day and remains devotedly so to this day. Eventually, when the chickens were all gone we replaced them with ducks ! (the photo is of free range chickens which we dubbed "visitor chickens" that wandered in one day).

                                I love your balloon story
                                *another random thought *

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X