Insurance
Ann, I don't have a golden combo as you assume. I pay over $300 a month combined for Medicare as primary and GEHA as secondary. I kept my insurance coverage when I had to retire on a disability income which is not enough to even keep a roof over my head. If I was not married or if I become widowed I might not even be able to cover the cost of living. You might consider that you don't know anything about me either. You must be under 65 if your BCBS is primary and Medicare is secondary. You have the better combo of coverage. It doesn't work out the same either as you will discover when you turn 65.
Ann, You mentioned "Its good to keep in mind who you are talking to". There is no way for me to know who I am talking to as most people here have not filled in any personal information. I think it would be a good idea if everyone would fill in some information under the signature line such as medical, treatments, interests, hobbies, retired, working, etc. Just a thought........as it would give us a better idea who we are talking to.
For those who have Medicare as primary you know that they are the insurance that controls what is paid to the doctors and it doesn't matter who your secondary coverage is with.....Medicare is in control and you have to have Medicare as primary when you turn 65. It doesn't matter that you have paid for your other insurance for 45 years. Some doctors are dropping Medicare patients. I know what patients who only have Medicaid go thru as my Mother and Father through no fault of theirs (He became legally blind at age 40) only had Medicaid and lived totally on a SSDI in government housing after losing their house and everything he worked for over the years.
I got a good education in what happens to people who thru no fault of their own have to depend on public assistance. That is the reason I admire FDR and what he stood for even though he was a very wealthy man, he had sympathy for those less fortunate. I don't know what would have happened to my parents if it were not for the programs that were put in place so many years ago by him and the democratic congress. Our social security system was put in place during his time. He was responsible for bringing our country out of a deep depression by putting people back to work on government projects.
I have 3 sons, only 1 who still has insurance coverage with a $1,000 deductible. One son who moved to another state was dropped from Kaiser Permamente after 20 years of coverage because there are no Kaiser doctors in Tennessee. He couldn't get coverage with any other insurance because of a pre-existing condition and my other son lost his business and his insurance due to the economic downturn and 3 months later had a major heart attack. His house is in forclosure. I know how bad it can get.
What I was suggesting to Abby was to do some homework and find another doctor who will take her with whatever insurance she has if she is not satisfied with her current doctor. I changed doctors within the same practice after 10 years and the new doctor found the MG which is why I am getting monthly infusions which is being paid for by Medicare. I like my new doctor much better than the old one who wasn't doing anything for me. As long as he will accept my Medicare insurance I will stay with him.
Regardless of what you think, I am not a golden child from a priviledged background, I went to work when I was 16 and I worked until I no longer could work outside the home and since 1994 I've worked from home to provide an income for 2 others..... so I am still working, just not drawing a salary for myself.
Blessings,
Gabriella:angel:
Ann, I don't have a golden combo as you assume. I pay over $300 a month combined for Medicare as primary and GEHA as secondary. I kept my insurance coverage when I had to retire on a disability income which is not enough to even keep a roof over my head. If I was not married or if I become widowed I might not even be able to cover the cost of living. You might consider that you don't know anything about me either. You must be under 65 if your BCBS is primary and Medicare is secondary. You have the better combo of coverage. It doesn't work out the same either as you will discover when you turn 65.
Ann, You mentioned "Its good to keep in mind who you are talking to". There is no way for me to know who I am talking to as most people here have not filled in any personal information. I think it would be a good idea if everyone would fill in some information under the signature line such as medical, treatments, interests, hobbies, retired, working, etc. Just a thought........as it would give us a better idea who we are talking to.
For those who have Medicare as primary you know that they are the insurance that controls what is paid to the doctors and it doesn't matter who your secondary coverage is with.....Medicare is in control and you have to have Medicare as primary when you turn 65. It doesn't matter that you have paid for your other insurance for 45 years. Some doctors are dropping Medicare patients. I know what patients who only have Medicaid go thru as my Mother and Father through no fault of theirs (He became legally blind at age 40) only had Medicaid and lived totally on a SSDI in government housing after losing their house and everything he worked for over the years.
I got a good education in what happens to people who thru no fault of their own have to depend on public assistance. That is the reason I admire FDR and what he stood for even though he was a very wealthy man, he had sympathy for those less fortunate. I don't know what would have happened to my parents if it were not for the programs that were put in place so many years ago by him and the democratic congress. Our social security system was put in place during his time. He was responsible for bringing our country out of a deep depression by putting people back to work on government projects.
I have 3 sons, only 1 who still has insurance coverage with a $1,000 deductible. One son who moved to another state was dropped from Kaiser Permamente after 20 years of coverage because there are no Kaiser doctors in Tennessee. He couldn't get coverage with any other insurance because of a pre-existing condition and my other son lost his business and his insurance due to the economic downturn and 3 months later had a major heart attack. His house is in forclosure. I know how bad it can get.
What I was suggesting to Abby was to do some homework and find another doctor who will take her with whatever insurance she has if she is not satisfied with her current doctor. I changed doctors within the same practice after 10 years and the new doctor found the MG which is why I am getting monthly infusions which is being paid for by Medicare. I like my new doctor much better than the old one who wasn't doing anything for me. As long as he will accept my Medicare insurance I will stay with him.
Regardless of what you think, I am not a golden child from a priviledged background, I went to work when I was 16 and I worked until I no longer could work outside the home and since 1994 I've worked from home to provide an income for 2 others..... so I am still working, just not drawing a salary for myself.
Blessings,
Gabriella:angel:

Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

Comment