Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

June 2021 Chit Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Well, there went the toppings! Cats seem to develop a ravenous appetite whenever food is sitting anywhere within their reach. And their reach is astonishing. Sounds as if they even managed to get the box open.

    ANN, you can eat anything you want again? It's been a long road back, I think? How did you achieve it? Or did it just gradually happen?
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #47
      Agate, Jack (the tuxedo cat you’ve seen in pictures) is part Siamese and is very smart. Too smart. He did get the box open.

      it has been a long road back. Two or more years and 39 pounds. I still think it was gastroparesis. I had other MS symptoms at the same time. It gradually got better but very slowly.

      ANN
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

      Comment


        #48
        I know that social etiquette requires one to first address the person to whom you are talking and show interest in their problems before starting on your own. But if I do that I never will get around to updating you about me. Please know I'm not ignoring anyone and I'm interested (that's why I read even when I don't post).

        A week ago Saturday I wasn't feeling right. I thought I had been eating too much seasoned foods so I decided to let my stomach rest. Sunday I was better and went with my sister to a rummage sale and out to the cemetery where my parents were buried. We place flowers on the grave. On the way back we stopped for lunch. I ate half a steak sandwich and had a root beer. I had meant to bring the other half home but accidentally threw it away. Still felt full in the evening so ate only a hand full cherries. (I didn't want to take my pills on an empty stomach).

        In the middle of the night (literally) I woke up with severe pain in my chest. I tried the nitroglycerin tabs under the tongue. When the 2nd offered no relief, I woke my husband up to take me to the ER. There they gave me several low dose aspirins and more nitroglycerin. CT scan. Results indicated gallstone pancreatitis. I was admitted to the hospital. I was hooked up to serum and antibiotics. Wednesday they decided that the pancreatitis was calm enough to operate to remove the gallbladder. Possible flush the next day if more gallstones needed removal.

        After the surgery I had problems with mucus and nasal drip. I couldn't get my throat cleared of it. I kept gargling water trying to remove it. Couldn't cough deeply enough to dislodge it. Miserable all day. Finally given medicine to try to relieve it and slept the night.

        They really need to work on their communication. After the surgery I understood a flush would not be needed. But about 4:30 the next morning they took away my water because there would be a procedure. Later in the morning when I expressed my confusion they put in a call to the doctor. Just before lunch I was given the okay to eat. We saw the doctor again early afternnon and went home.


        Comment


          #49
          Ann, it sounds like your trip to Pennsylvania was a successful. You saw your mother, helped her with chores & errands, and had a good meal.

          Spinach pie does sound good. I used to hate spinach but I learned that it’s how it’s made.

          The thought of flying doesn’t appeal to me at all. It was bad enough before 9/11. 9/11 made all the security too stressful for me. I expect that we’ll be flying to Iran next year but I’m not looking forward to it.

          Have you seen the video of the cat opening the fridge door then eating the food inside? Perhaps we need locks on the refrigerator?

          Agate, the hot burner catastrophe is a common one I believe which has different variations. I knew someone who had a stove with a glass cover for prep work. She either forgot to turn off the burner before putting down the cover or put it down too soon before it cooled. The glass overheated and exploded.

          Sunshine, good luck on your surgery. Speedy recovery so that you can get back into the swim of it.

          Howie, I have almost everything on autopay. Then I just have to keep a close eye on the accounts.

          Virginia, I empathize with your brother. One broken rib is horrible, but 6? Oh voy!


          Comment


            #50
            Parsi, what you've been going through sounds very miserable! And it sounds as if the hospital hasn't been listening to you carefully enough. I've had the impression you need to scream at top volume in that situation or maybe have a large group of people screaming on your behalf. Not easily arranged for many of us.

            But you're home now? Where you can recover in peace?

            Hoping you'll be able to rest up and get well. You're amazingly lucid considering what you've just been though!
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


            • Parsi
              Parsi commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I'm home. I didn't let myself think about it. For the most part just rolled with it. After a few hours of little mucous relief did put me in a confused state because of the frustration but once it was relieved and I slept the night I was much better. As the pain (low levels and limited area) eased I regained the desire to do things again. Don't worry. I'm not tempted to lift, pull, or push anything.

            #51
            Hi Parsi! Continued healing to you. What an ordeal. I hope you will be on your feet and eating well soon.

            The flying was fine. Two parts are difficult:
            1) Security is still a rat race

            2) App Rides (Uber, Lyft) can’t drop off at the curb at Logan. They must go to Central Parking. It’s quite a hike with luggage from there. I understood that if you have a disability they can take you to the departures curb but our driver would not.

            There are not many App Ride drivers right now because of unemployment benefits. This was a problem getting to the airport. We could not get an Uber or a cab. Fortunately, Peter thought of Lyft. On the way home, we had to wait ten minutes in the heat - usually they are right there. The driver said he was only working because of a $400 bonus if he did 20 rides that day for Lyft.

            This also makes getting to PT appts on time difficult. I can not predict if a ride will be available. In before times, App Rides came in seconds there were so many drivers in the city.

            ANN
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

            Comment


            • Parsi
              Parsi commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry to hear about the transportation. I'm really glad I'm not flying.

            #52
            Ann, I too am upset that the app rides have to park so far from the door at Logan. I think that is true for The Ride, as well.

            Comment


              #53
              Parsi, sorry about what has been going on with you. Pancreatitis is a very painful thing from what I have heard. I am glad you are now home and getting some rest and feeling better. By the way, you are as important as any of the rest of us here so when you have something wrong please do not hesitate to let us know, good or bad.

              Ann, I would expect a dog to be able to do what your cats did. But CATS! and feral ones at that. I have a feeling they have been tamed and spoiled by now. But then when you wanted the rest of your pizza didn't you get the least bit irritated.

              Was woken very early this morning by my older brother's wife. She explained to me what happened to him. He is on very strong pain pills. I wish they had kept him in the hospital because I am concerned about two things 1) pneumonia 2) a couple of the cracked ribs are so close to the lungs that they could puncture his lungs. They have a sleep number bed where the head and feet go up and down, but he finds it very uncomfortable. The chair is a lift chair and it swivels and also reclines. So far that seems to suit him best, but she talks like he is in terrible pain. He is very congested also. His kids are all worried. None of them live where he is, but he has 4 who live here in N.C. He talked to each one one time, but they could tell he was not really able to talk. He enjoys getting e-mails and text that he can just sit there and read without having to respond. I plan to e-mail him tomorrow.
              Virginia

              Comment


              • Parsi
                Parsi commented
                Editing a comment
                I really wasn't up to writing anything until out of the hospital and home.

                I did find the chair more comfortable than the bed and I was in less pain than your brother is. Congestion sucks. I too worry about the ribs so close to his ribs. With the congestion he might try to cough to relieve it.

              #54
              Virginia, that really sounds miserable.

              Ikoiko, have you called anyone or researched the disability/Massport situation. That is just plain wrong. I almost could not do it.

              ANN
              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

              Comment


                #55
                I don't live in Mass. like your guys do, but I remember years ago going in and out of that airport. I was so mad by the time I got to the car. My MS at this point would not allow me to make it, back then I barely did with the luggage I was carrying and everything else. I remember saying I never wanted to fly through there again. It was miserable. Trip was to Cape Cod and it just about ruined it.

                I am washing linens this morning, but that is all I plan to do today. Laura is here and I hope she will get on the ball and do the rest. She is very slow this morning. I will change my bed and fold the towels, etc but I don't want to do the rest.

                This morning when Laura came in she noticed a bird flying into my front door. I have a new wreath and wreath hanger on that door and it cost over $200.00. She looked and they had already laid their eggs in the nest. This has happened to me before. The first time it of course ruined the wreath and the door almost never came clean. The second time I took the wreath and hung it under the light fixture which was on the side of the house. It ruined the light fixture which I had to replace and also pay someone to come and install a new one. So, I didn't put up a wreath after that, but
                they came and got inside the light fixture and ruined it again. Birds will ruin your porch, door and house if a nest is built in the wrong spot. I had Laura gently lift the nest from the wreath this morning and put it in a live bush beside my porch. I hope it works out for them. They have so many bushes around my house, I just don't understand why they head for my fake door wreath which I happen to think is pretty and they will ruin it. Guess I will not put it up again next year.
                Virginia

                Comment


                  #56
                  Ann, I never did talk to Mass Port about the drop off/pick up situation. There are signs up that say, if you are disabled, call this number, or something like that.

                  Another problem at Logan is that the Southwest gate is a 1/4 mile from the ticket counter! So, I always have to get a wheelchair. (Which speeds you through security as a bonus.) But, I think Southwest has recently relocated to a closer location.

                  Comment


                    #57
                    Thank you, Ikoiko. After this heat wave breaks, I hope to make some calls to look into it. That Southwest gate is a hike. I’ve never flown them.

                    Virginia, glad that Laura showed up. I hope she gets her mojo working.

                    PT was good. After Peter picked me up we went to a super-chilled grocery store. It was like a treatment! Maybe this is why Virginia’s grocery trips are so long.

                    ANN
                    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                    Comment


                      #58
                      Actually Ann, my grocery trips are long because I can't walk well enough or fast enough to make them any shorter. Still, I do like to pick out my own groceries. I found some pretty nice fresh strawberries yesterday. Enjoyed having some last night and also with cereal this morning.
                      Virginia

                      Comment


                        #59
                        ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                        Virginia ~

                        Your brother must be in so much pain with 6 broken ribs! As we age, our bones are more fragile, of course. I'm truly sorry for him, and I will pray for his complete healing.

                        The pressure against his back on any surface must be awful, which may be why he can't find a comfortable position. Turning side to side would be difficult. He has to be careful getting up and walking, especially since he is on pain meds. The last thing he needs is to fall again!

                        I hope your SIL is in touch with your brother's doctor updating on his condition. I'm concerned about his congestion.

                        Prayers for your SIL, who is caring for him, their children, and you and your entire family.

                        Parsi ~

                        What an ordeal you have endured! It's good that you had it attended to immediately. How are you feeling now? Do you have home health care? Sending prayers for your complete healing too ~

                        ANN ~

                        That is great that you can eat whatever you want now! And you are enjoying your harvest from your garden, which makes it even better.

                        Your experience at the airport is among the dozens of reasons why I will not travel again. Accessibility. A long trek from the parking lot to the terminal is infeasible for many people, including me.

                        This has to be an ADA violation. Has anyone looked into that possibility?

                        John invited me to join him at a Dodgers' game in September. Among the many obstacles for me was walking from the parking lot to the stadium, then to the seats, then up and down stairs, when I needed to go to the bathroom.

                        Many places claim to be accessible, but upon closer examination, they are not.

                        Prayers and positive, healing energy to all ~

                        Love & Light,

                        ❤️❤️❤️❤️

                        Rose

                        *Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!


                        THANKS!
                        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                        Comment


                        • Parsi
                          Parsi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm okay now in general. No home health care. Healing is proceeding forward, with only a few temporary backsteps.

                        #60
                        Thank you Rose for wishing my brother and family well. I had a text from SIL this evening with two pictures of him. In one he was sitting in his chair blowing on the thing for his lungs and in the other he was walking with a rollator. He does not look well at all. I have felt nervous, anxious and emotional today. I guess there are several reasons for it. I am glad Laura was here today. I did end up doing the two vanities and toilet in my bathroom. She cleaned the shower and mopped the floor. She helped me make my bed today. We did it together. Of course she did other work before she left, so I don't have a lot left to do.
                        Virginia

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X