Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Song of the Day
Collapse
X
-
I owned a couple of those Elvis Presley numbers on 45s--got them when they first came out ("All Shook Up" and "Don't Be Cruel"). I also had "Hound Dog" and a couple of others. I should have saved them but can't even recall what became of them.
Way back in high school, when you got together with friends, it was customary to arrive with a tall stack of 45s that were played during the evening. I have no idea where my stack of 45s went but it's long gone.
Last edited by agate; 08-03-2023, 08:36 AM.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
My stack of records are upstairs in a walk in closet. I have a number of Elvis's records. A couple were recorded shortly before. he died. I felt I could tell a difference in his voice from his earlier recordings. My cousin worked in a record store and got me a number of Elvis's records. I think I have over 90 records upstairs. I am not a collector of anything, but for some reason I have held on to these.
I have lots of different artist that date back a long time. I now only have a Bose player that plays only CDs. I guess I kept the big records because most all of them were bought by my husband. I wish they were worth something. They are in their original jackets.Virginia
Comment
-
I actually saw Elvis perform in person once. I happened to be in Maryland staying with a friend of my mother's who had a couple of teenage daughters. One of the daughters happened to have an extra ticket to an Elvis concert and asked if I'd like to go. I forget the name of the arena where it was held but it had a vast parking lot.
It was 1976, not long before he died. It was fairly sad though it was well attended. Sad because he wasn't looking like the youngster he was earlier. He was all decked out in a glittery outfit but clearly he was past his prime.I felt really sorry for him.
I left early and waited it out in the parking lot. I guess I just wasn't up to that much nostalgia at the time.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
agate, it's too bad about your 45s. I also remember listening to them when I was a kid. Mine have been gone so long I couldn't tell you where they went if I had to.
You are lucky to have seen Elvis, although I understand about the timing. I remember seeing him do a live performance on TV near the end, and you could see it coming. It was very sad.
Virginia, you might want to look at your LP collection and see if some of your records have become collectors' items. Many old LPs have. There has been a revival of interest in vinyl records, with some current artists having their recordings pressed instead of, or in addition to, selling their music on digital media. Many say the richness of analog recordings beats digital, which is fundamentally true. By definition, digital recordings only approximate sound waves.
But I digress. Beyond their sentimental value, your LPs could be worth more than you might think. If you are interested, I would recommend searching them on Ebay. That would give you a good idea of what your LPs are worth in their condition.
You could also buy a turntable to plug into your Bose system if you want to play your LPs. Your brother can probably tell you if your Bose system has the audio input jacks needed for that. The info should also be in the manual.
Last but not least, returning to Elvis, this is an excerpt from the movie, Jailhouse Rock. It is the full scene in which the song is played. Turner Classic Movies published the clip on their YouTube channel, which is more than lucky for Elvis fans.
Enjoy!
JAILHOUSE ROCK (1957) - Elvis Presley - Classic Movie Musical Numbers
Comment

Comment