Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

October chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Agate, in the beginning, DEVO was a post-punk band, post-punk being a subgenre (or extension) of punk rock. Much of punk rock was aimed at taking down classic rock. Classic rock was said to have become pompous, part of the establishment. The over-produced, 10-minute-long songs were particularly disdained and ridiculed. DEVO and the rest of them — e.g., Sex Pistols — took their shots. Some of those were satirical covers. As in DEVO's case, some were simple covers. Often, the songs were "originals." (No three-chord pop song can be said to be "original." The underlying structure is always the same.)

    I have only a minor interest in punk rock music today. Specifically, I have only 64 MP3 tracks in my collection. For me, these songs date back to a particular phase of "the good old days." I have been reluctant to post any punk rock songs because most are pretty rough around the edges, one way or another. I doubt they would go over well, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone or cross any boundaries with respect to the TOS. I posted the DEVO cover because it breaks no such limits in my view, and there was an opportunity to inject a little humor into the topic.

    I first saw DEVO play (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction live on SNL. You would have thought it was part of the act. I didn't fully realize until later that DEVO was a serious band. However, it should be said they later sold out and became a vanilla, garden-variety, synth-pop band. It should also be stated that, without their cover of (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction on SNL, almost no one would have ever heard of DEVO in the first place. I don't know if they ever played on SNL again. I watched SNL a lot over the years whenever I had a TV, but much of the time I did not.

    Today, I only watch Weekend Update clips on the SNL YouTube channel. As far as I can tell, Weekend Update is the best part of the show these days. Most of the skits are boring, although some of the cold opens are pretty good. This was particularly true from about 2015 through around 2021.

    But I digress.

    It is interesting to note that pop music in general is repetitive in nature. It always was, going all the way back to drums and chants. I think it is a reflection of our heartbeats. Nonetheless, I am sometimes surprised, disappointed even, when I go back and listen to an old favorite only to find it sounds so repetitive. I usually post it anyway for sentimental reasons.

    As for official polls, you are not seeing one because there isn't one. I didn't even know there was such a thing. I gather you can start an official poll, but that was not my intention. It was a joke.

    Also, it seems you can opt out of seeing user signatures here in User Settings | Account. This would not explain, however, why you can see them on your iPad but not your PC. If it is a browser setting, I don't know where you might find it. I don't think there is a setting in Windows for it, and I doubt it is your machine. Sorry I can't be of help, but look on the bright side: If it's happening on other sites, you literally don't know what you're missing and don't have to worry about whatever that is. LOL
    Last edited by flatcap; 10-17-2023, 03:47 PM.

    Comment


      #62
      On Music

      I will not make a long story out of this one.

      I will just say that if you haven't seen it, you should.


      Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory

      Comment


        #63
        Also, it seems you can opt out of seeing user signatures here in User Settings | Account. This would not explain, however, why you can see them on your iPad but not your PC. If it is a browser setting, I don't know where you might find it. I don't think there is a setting in Windows for it, and I doubt it is your machine. Sorry I can't be of help, but look on the bright side: If it's happening on other sites, you literally don't know what you're missing and don't have to worry about whatever that is. LOL
        A while back an effort was made to fix this issue. Several members and I think some of the admin people were involved, but the problem was never fixed. Guess it's unfixable.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #64
          All that (un)fixing made me think of a phrase once popular long ago: "I'll fix your wagon." Ever heard that one? It always makes me laugh, but I admit having a dark sense of humor sometimes.

          Comment


            #65
            I have heard that though I recall it as "I'll fix your little red wagon."

            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #66
              That's even funnier.

              Comment


                #67
                My 7th grade math teacher sometimes threatened pupils with "I'm going to turn you over my checkered apron in a minute."
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Many years ago in my rural area you heard, "I'm sorry I ruined your cow."

                  Comment


                    #69
                    jingle, I've never heard of that one. Is it a little like "Sorry to rain on your parade"?
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      I don't know, agate, I've never talked to anyone outside that small area who has heard it. My sister says it's "I'm sorry I murdered your cow".

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Saying about cows can be puzzling. Maybe a person needs to know more about cows. There's another one that goes like this: "He can keep doing that until the cows come home." Do cows come home on their own from the pasture? I always thought someone went to get them and guided them home. Or maybe the saying means that cows never come home on their own. Maybe you could clue me in, jingle.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Yes -- in the late afternoon the cows came home on their own. Their udders were full and needed to be milked soon. I remember the cows always came home. But I do have fuzzy memories of the three little girls going out to get the cows. I have no memory of an adult getting the cows.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Ella Fitzgerald & The Ink Spots - Cow Cow Boogie

                            Comment


                              #74
                              OK, so we covered the jazz scene.

                              Here's my favorite country swing song with the word "cow" in the title and lyrics.


                              Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Milk Cow Blues

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Liked "Milk Cow Blues." The kind of music I heard quite a lot of as a child.
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X