I just looked it up, and IF I understood it, duh, I am getting SSDI. I became disabled before 65.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
OT December Chit Chat
Collapse
X
-
When you reach age 65 the disability check automatically becomes regular social security. The amount doesn't change because SSDI, like social security, is based on earned income. Raises each year are based on an obscure monetary table of figures that really don't match reality, like cost of housing, gas, etc. across the country and with no accounting for regional differences.Originally posted by Howie View PostI just looked it up, and IF I understood it, duh, I am getting SSDI. I became disabled before 65.
Then, if you pay for parts c and d of social security, often those charges increase more than the raise on parts a,and b (the two primary parts that most people have) so you end up losing money. Neither I nor Tom Cat will get any increase this year -- which is better than last year, when we lost money...
Comment
-
SSI is needs-based. There are people receiving SSI who are under 65. You're luckier if you get SSDI usually.
SSDI has no connection to the amount of money you have. You've paid into the system by your earnings. People getting SSI haven't done that--or haven't paid enough.
Maybe Cat Dancer will correct me if I'm wrong. I believe her occupation involved knowing a lot about Social Security.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
Well, I was wondering about the amount changing after I hit 65. It's good to know it's staYing the same. I was on the bed awhile, but got up and made coffee. I want to hit the store as early as possible, and get that sweet dear Sam her turkey. THEN THEY CAN SHUT UP!!!
"Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."
Albert Einstein
Comment
-
You are correct. SSI is needs based. It, like Medicaid, is usually what sustains low income disabled people. If you have worked for enough years...the last I studied it, it was 10 years...and paid into the social security system, then become disabled, you'll get SSDI. SSI and Medicaid are needs based; SSDI is not. With SSI and Medicaid, ALL the people in the households income, your savings, retirement, assets, all are determined, and if you have too much mondy, you're not eligible. Children with disabilities are an exception. I don't know much about how that part of the program works. SSDI, on the other hand, is granted without regard to any other income in your household, or what other assets you may have (property, savings, etc.) SSDI also allows you opportunity to get earned income, but only a limited amount. Anything over that amount is deductedfrom your SSDI check, and after you start earning too much, you are no longer eligible for SSDI.Originally posted by agate View PostSSI is needs-based. There are people receiving SSI who are under 65. You're luckier if you get SSDI usually.
SSDI has no connection to the amount of money you have. You've paid into the system by your earnings. People getting SSI haven't done that--or haven't paid enough.i
Maybe Cat Dancer will correct me if I'm wrong. I believe her occupation involved knowing a lot about Social Security.
I don't know if you worked prior to becoming disabled, Howie. If so, and if you did indeed work long enough to pay into the system for 10 or more years, then you had SSDI, which, as I said, automatically turns into regular social security upon reaching 65....I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o
Comment
-
Agate, thanks for the "Greetings". Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays to you also!!! I received the card and I did not have any problem with mine as far as opening it and reading it. The only problem I have had is that last night after getting in from family Christmas I kept playing the game over and over and then I have played it this morning. It really is addictive. I usually get to level 9 and it tells me I am "snow slow". However I did win one or two games last night. Thanks for thinking of me and for keeping my mind a little occupied. I wonder what I find addictive about that.
We had nice get together last night. My nephew picked me up and carried me and brought me back home. I was so glad he did. I thought it was very thoughtful of him when he called and said he was not too far from my house and when I told him I could make it, he said he "wanted" to pick me up and bring me back home. It actually was going to be hard for me. I had carried the gifts out to the car, but I had a 9x13 dish I had made that was heavy which meant I was not going to be able to hold on as I went down the outside steps and it was misting rain a lot yesterday, so everything was wet. The meal was great and I brought leftovers home. We did not draw names, but each took a gift and played the Chinese thing where you can steal someone else's or have yours stolen. I think everyone enjoyed it.
Jeanie, you are waaay smarter than I am. You have just been going and going. Having company, then going to the motorcycle get-to-gather, then going out again today. I know last week you worked all week getting everything in your house ready. I am glad you and everyone enjoyed it. I guess that is what makes it worthwhile.
I know Ann is glad to be back with Peter and I hope they enjoy their Christmas with her Mother.
Howie, has your Sister mentioned bringing over any food later today? Last year she bought so much. I think it fed you for about a week. She even bought eggnog.
Cat, I hope you and TC have a very good Christmas with lots of good food. Has his eye cleared up, so he can see better? When is he due to go back for other one?
SuzeQ, I hope your Christmas is just wonderful.
Sally, I feel sure your family would be there today or yesterday.
I am staying by myself today, which is good after going out last night and then coming home and playing Agate's card until late. I have my leftovers that I brought with me for tonight, so all is well.Virginia
Comment
-
Anyone who'd like an e-card that is a holiday greeting in the form of a little game can send me an e-mail address by private message and I'll be happy to send one. I didn't mean to exclude anyone here but didn't have e-mail addresses for everybody.
I probably shouldn't have sent them to anyone unless I could send them to everyone. I apologize!
Where has Dar (Jen's Solitude) been lately, for instance? For years I had her e-mail address but lost track of her and no longer have it. There are several others as well.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
Agate, that's a pretty sad story, but here is an even sadder one. I have not heard one word from my brother or sister in two weeks. Nothing. But I can take it...sniff...it doesn't bother me...sniff...they can just be that way....WAHHHHHHHH!
"Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."
Albert Einstein
Comment
-
:) Howie I wish you were close to here. I have a lot of left overs and they are all good. I hope your sister and brothers come through for you.
Andy and I went up to Jim's for a 2 PM brunch. It was nice but I am exhausted. My neighbors began playing a loud bass beat at 8 this morning. Not able to sleep so I got up. I am going to wear ear plugs tonight so I can sleep.
I hope you all had a nice day. Jeanie :)



Comment
-
Howie, just a thought here. Isn't your sister on Facebook? And I believe she's one of your Facebook friends? You could check her page, see what's happening with her, and either post a message to her on the page or send her a PM via Facebook, or no?SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment


Comment