Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(OT) Time for baby birds!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    I keep forgetting to check out this nest during daylight hours, since the nest is in Virginia and it's 3 hours later there. It's a bluebird nest with 5 eggs nearing hatch time.
    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    May the bluebird of happiness drop a full bunch on you . . . of happiness, that is!

    Comment


      #32
      One of Sally's favorites, the storks!
      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      and I,m not sure what this bird is, but it looks like a chickadee
      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      This is a Great Grey Owl with several eggs, nesting in an outdoor nest in Montana.
      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      Three baby barred owls in Indiana
      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

      Comment


        #33
        The blue birds seem quite active tonight and it is 11:30P.M.
        Virginia

        Comment


          #34
          Those baby blue birds are eager to be on their way, I'm guessing.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #35
            It's 11:35 p.m. here, and it's 2:35 at the bluebird nest and the babies are alone! Where's mom, and what is she doing out at this hour?

            Comment


              #36
              They're alone now too--8:30 AM here, 11:30 AM there. Maybe mom is out scrounging for food for them.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #37
                :) I have never seen the Mom. Every time I check the babies are alone. Jeanie :)

                Comment


                  #38
                  Looked in on the bluebirds just in time to see mom stick her head in and feed the kids. Feeling relieved! Eyes are open today.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Yesterday a flock of small, beautiful and colorful birds showed up to eat last year's leftover mulberries. I was in awe. Many small birds w yellow across their squared off tail. Some red somewhere and white on the top of the wings. They came back again today. I have been looking in my books and I think they are Cedar Waxwings or close to it.

                    Unfortunately, the tree, a two- leader tree, is scheduled to come down on Thursday. ;-(. My neighbor thinks it's ugly.

                    I have just 2 days to teach her to see beauty in the imperfect!
                    ANN
                    Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-02-2017, 01:44 PM.
                    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Lucky you, to get to see Cedar Waxwings. They are beautiful . . . so smooth looking! They used to come in flocks to our persimmon tree only when the fruit was ripe. They love fruit. I didn't see them except at the time. A neighbor of ours had a mulberry tree and used to pick the mulberries. She would sometimes bring us some. I don't think most people harvest the fruit to consume. But birds love it. Mulberry trees can be pretty messy when the fruit starts dropping, as can any fruit tree.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Tree droppings are messy and another reason neighbor wants the tree down. She has a zen garden and a very large koi pond but she doesn't see the waxwings!

                        There was another mulberry tree across the street. Those neighbors ate berries off the tree and made pies.
                        ANN
                        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                        Comment


                          #42
                          I guess I don't understand this zeal for taking trees down. I watched a beautiful horse chestnut tree being taken down some years ago because people objected to the seeds (large round balls) that lay on the ground sometimes. They were said to be a danger to people walking.

                          Of course if they're kept raked up, they're not a danger.... And then there's the undeniable fact that it takes a long long time to get a tree to the point where it's an established lovely shade tree, as this one was.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Thank you, Agate! I get those spikey balls on my patio. I never knew which tree they came from as the trees are very tall.
                            ANN
                            Last edited by stillstANNding; 05-03-2017, 07:13 AM.
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                            Comment


                              #44
                              When you said spiky balls, my first thought was a liquidambar tree. We had one when I was growing up and I can tell you they are murder on bare feet! The trees are beautiful!

                              Comment


                                #45
                                There are horse chestnut trees near the library, here in Anacortes. My 2nd husband picked up one of the seeds, years ago and got it started, but when he put it outside to get some sun, the deer pruned the branches. That wasn't it, they also ate my pansies. lol
                                s
                                Jendie
                                I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X