Originally posted by SuzE-Q
View Post
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Book Club: What are you reading?
Collapse
X
-
I never thought about what happened worldwide on 9/11....when all air flights into as well as within the country were stopped. This book shows the generosity and care of heroic everyday people/societies.
The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by James DeFede (sp)Last edited by Lazarus; 04-30-2019, 11:27 AM.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
Nuthatch: Totally can relate to the snail watching. I have hours upon hours alone in my house now, and find that very small things now capture my attention and put me in a new world. Like watching a plant. Or watching a lady bug make progress.
So many worlds out there.
Laz, i want to read that book too.
I live next to a small community airport which is plagued by small flight school flights all day. IT was gloriously quiet during the 9/11 flight black outs.Last edited by Sunshine; 04-30-2019, 07:35 AM.
Comment
-
That was a great book, Nuthatch. I really enjoyed it.Originally posted by nuthatch View PostI'm reading The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey, and throughly enjoying it.
"While an illness keeps her bedridden, Bailey watches a wild snail that has taken up residence on her nightstand. As a result, she discovers the solace and sense of wonder that this mysterious creature brings and comes to a greater understanding of her own confined place in the world."
Who knew snails were so interesting? People don't take time to observe and appreciate the little things!
ANNThere comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK
Comment
-
Originally posted by stillstANNding View PostThat was a great book, Nuthatch. I really enjoyed it.
ANN
I read that book several years ago. A customer brought it to me and said I HAD to read it! Great.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
As most of you who follow this thread know, I always finish all of my books. However, I am reading one now that I am having a hard time doing that. It is through my book club. They brought it to me so I will finish it. It is short and I should have read it in a day, but it is just so boring. The name of it is The Optimist Daughter by Eudora Welty. It says on the back cover it is her best book. The daughter of a former Judge goes home when her father becomes ill. He has remarried a young very silly girl after his first wife dies. One chapter was about her family coming for the funeral and it was like trying to read a chapter of "The Beverly Hillbillies" for those of you who are old enough to remember that TV series.
A neighbor told me this past week that she got a call from a member of the book club asking if she was going to read the book. She said this lady was laughing because it is nothing they would have chosen. My neighbor said she had read one chapter, but would probably not read the rest. I will force myself to stick with it to the end.Virginia
Comment
-
I ordered a book that several of you have said you enjoyed "The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating" on my kindle. I ordered it a couple of days ago and I can't get it to come through. I also can't find a place on Amazon that I can talk to a live person. I want to start reading it and I am frustrated. I have been through all their self help stuff and can't figure it out and I need a real live person on the other end of the line. This drives me nuts.Virginia
Comment
-
I haven't tried Kindle at all but I have noticed that "online chat" often isn't working on weekends on some sites. If you've been trying today, that might be the problem. You might be able to send an e-mail to them and even get a prompt response though.Attached FilesSPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
I got my book. I called Spectrum and told them my wyfi was not connecting to my Kindle and the man just walked me right through getting it connected and my book came through immediately. I knew it had to do with the wyfi, but I wasn't sure what it had to do with it because I am supposed to have built in wyfi on my kindle. However as long as I have it I am fine. I don't know if my kindle will now work anywhere but here in my house, however I usually don't have a lot of reason to take it too many places.Virginia
Comment
-
Virginia, I dont finish all the books I start. I will give a book 50-70 pages, and if it isn’t good in some way, I just stop: life is too short to spend time on bad books....
Then there are bad books that I do want to know the gist of the book or how it ended (typically bad mystery), so I will just scan through the rest of the book, or simply go to the end of the book.
Comment
-
I'm pretty sure I read "The Optimist's Daughter" but it was so long ago I can't remember it. I keep notes on books I've read but at some point lost them in a computer meltdown years ago, and the notes on that one must have been among the lost data. I've read and enjoyed some of Eudora Welty's other novels but that one hasn't stuck in my mind.Originally posted by Virginia View PostAs most of you who follow this thread know, I always finish all of my books. However, I am reading one now that I am having a hard time doing that. It is through my book club. They brought it to me so I will finish it. It is short and I should have read it in a day, but it is just so boring. The name of it is The Optimist Daughter by Eudora Welty. It says on the back cover it is her best book. The daughter of a former Judge goes home when her father becomes ill. He has remarried a young very silly girl after his first wife dies. One chapter was about her family coming for the funeral and it was like trying to read a chapter of "The Beverly Hillbillies" for those of you who are old enough to remember that TV series.
A neighbor told me this past week that she got a call from a member of the book club asking if she was going to read the book. She said this lady was laughing because it is nothing they would have chosen. My neighbor said she had read one chapter, but would probably not read the rest. I will force myself to stick with it to the end.
Anyone remember the e-mail client called Eudora--named after her? I used it for years.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
Maybe I have a special fondness for Eudora Welty because she's one of the writers who give a lot of detail about what life in the south is or has been like. She and Carson McCullers and especially Flannery O'Connor.
Oh, and William Faulkner, though there aren't many of his books that I would read again. My favorites are the Snopes trilogy (The Town, The Hamlet, The Mansion) and As I Lay Dying. I like Intruder in the Dust too but the rest of his fiction just leaves me cold.Last edited by agate; 05-18-2019, 09:34 PM.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
I know it is frustrating. I do not have kindle but do have Amazon Prime. I just wanted to say that sometimes I have trouble remembering where I found the one darn right spot where I can click and find how to do something. The print is small and I am convinced the pages switch things around periodically!Originally posted by Virginia View PostThanks, but I can't even find how to do that. I use to be able to get them by phone or e-mail, but since I went to prime I have not been able to.
I do have audible through Amazon Prime and I had made a mistake and erased a book and I was able to contact them online and they put the book back in my library! I hope you are able to find the way to contact them because the service I get through all of Amazon is really good service. Check and see if there is a way to contact them from the ?Last edited by Lazarus; 05-19-2019, 03:29 AM.Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment

Comment