Formal exercise is great and a real mood lifter, or at least for me....however, note that the title of the thread is Keep on Moving—- not keep on exercising!!
And one of the examples is moving from side to side for bedridden. Anything that keeps the body from being inert is great. Doesn’t have to be formal exercise for sure....and lets not judge ourselves: this is just something to keep in mind, not to beat ourselves up for !!
This past week, I have been using the rollator more rather than R2D2 whenever possible. I don’t walk independently as much out of concern that a spasm could throw me to the ground and break a bone or fracture my skull. Thats ok, I love my Drive Rollator. I try to stand up straight, not hunch over so as to put less pressure on the back.
So, I walked 40’ to water my pool deck plants,I swept the kitchen and bathroom floors, I made a salad and some scallops, cleaned up the kitchen dishes etc., took out a trash bag, maybe did about 400 steps total, if that. Spent a lot of time on the phone managing doctor visits, call backs with docs and their nurses— too many specialists and tests in my life right now for sure.
I work very hard at trying to stay in the moment and only spend time planning for that day and the next so as to not be overwhelmed with all that has to be done medically over the next 2 weeks. It is overwhelming otherwise. Hoping all the MD appts settle down at some point....
Meditation and my cursory understanding of Buddhism has settled down my mind and helped with my pain. I highly recommend it. If at all curious, first read Breakfast with Buddha, a fiction book that will tantalize you. Then, come back and I can point to some nonfiction reading that can give you some ideas....am glad that this old dog can indeed still learn new tricks!
And one of the examples is moving from side to side for bedridden. Anything that keeps the body from being inert is great. Doesn’t have to be formal exercise for sure....and lets not judge ourselves: this is just something to keep in mind, not to beat ourselves up for !!
This past week, I have been using the rollator more rather than R2D2 whenever possible. I don’t walk independently as much out of concern that a spasm could throw me to the ground and break a bone or fracture my skull. Thats ok, I love my Drive Rollator. I try to stand up straight, not hunch over so as to put less pressure on the back.
So, I walked 40’ to water my pool deck plants,I swept the kitchen and bathroom floors, I made a salad and some scallops, cleaned up the kitchen dishes etc., took out a trash bag, maybe did about 400 steps total, if that. Spent a lot of time on the phone managing doctor visits, call backs with docs and their nurses— too many specialists and tests in my life right now for sure.
I work very hard at trying to stay in the moment and only spend time planning for that day and the next so as to not be overwhelmed with all that has to be done medically over the next 2 weeks. It is overwhelming otherwise. Hoping all the MD appts settle down at some point....
Meditation and my cursory understanding of Buddhism has settled down my mind and helped with my pain. I highly recommend it. If at all curious, first read Breakfast with Buddha, a fiction book that will tantalize you. Then, come back and I can point to some nonfiction reading that can give you some ideas....am glad that this old dog can indeed still learn new tricks!

Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.
Comment