Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

September Chit/Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #76
    :) I went out to get the can and a neighbor came running and she pulled it back up the driveway. I had her come in and I gave her my phone number and got hers. Their yard is always beautiful.

    I called a lawyer about the insurance denial of my aide bills. They said it was not a case they would handle. They gave me the bar number and said try that. Jeanie :)

    Comment


      #77
      I hope it goes well Jeanie!

      Comment


        #78
        I've had some really good news.

        About 3 months ago I had routine blood work done, and the potassium was low. I've had this happen before, and each time I've managed to bring it back up. This time that hadn't worked, and the doctor was concerned enough to make some other suggestions but I wanted to give the diet approach one more try.

        So for the last 3 months I've been consulting lists of potassium-rich foods and trying to eat them. I happen to like a lot of potassium-rich foods, and so it wasn't difficult except for having to keep more careful track of my diet.

        The other day I went for the lab work that was going to indicate whether I had succeeded. The results came in over the weekend, and the potassium is now normal.

        The doctor is pleased, and I'm particularly pleased--because over those months I've noticed a very gradual improvement in a couple of problems I'd been having.

        I now have far less trouble with leg cramps in the middle of the night. And the episodes where my back would suddenly go out have pretty much disappeared.

        I'm pretty sure that those problems must have been caused by that low potassium. I used to get heart palpitations as a sign of a low potassium level. I didn't have those this time.

        I've been celebrating.
        Last edited by agate; 09-10-2019, 03:36 PM.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #79
          That really is great news Agate. I am glad you don’t have to take potassium supplements. I like a lot of potassium rich foods so I doubt that I would have a problem, but mine is never checked. My Mother had a problem with low potassium so I am a little familiar with it. Also my Mother-in-law had that problem for years. I remember her saying she had begun to hate orange juice.
          Virginia

          Comment


            #80
            I do have to take potassium supplements. I've been taking the maximum dosage of them for many years. That was the problem--even with that maximum dosage, I had a low potassium level some months ago. The doctor suggested that I could exceed the maximum dosage but I didn't want to risk that. So we decided to go the diet route.

            My potassium is low because I take hydrochlorothiazide in large quantities. It's to prevent kidney stones, which I most definitely don't want to have any more of.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #81
              Aren't bananas rich in potassium?
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

              Albert Einstein

              Comment


                #82
                ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                agate ~

                Jim takes Lasix daily with a Potassium chaser. He has a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel every 2 weeks with his blood draws, along with a CBC. Low potassium is associated with other medications also. And it can be tricky to keep it at a good level. I'm so happy for you that your diet changes brought your level up.

                I'm curious about the diet changes you made, because Jim does have to deal with it too. What did you change, include or exclude from your diet?

                Jim has a banana every day with his breakfast, because, as you said, Howie, it's a good source of potassium. We also drink a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice every day. However, these fruits contain sugar, and Jim's glucose has been on the rise. He also takes steroids, which affect glucose levels.

                I'm celebrating with you! It's always wonderful, when something goes your way, especially after you've diligently worked at a successful result. Congratulations!

                Virginia ~

                I think a visit to your physician may be a good idea, with your itching, but also to have some blood work, like a CBC, CMP (you'll know your potassium and sodium levels with that), thyroid, adrenal glands, the whole enchilada. You know how you take your car into have a full service, tires rotated, etc.? Well, you're the car.

                Healing prayers for all ~

                Love & Light,



                Rose
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                Comment


                  #83
                  Rose, a daily banana has been part of my routine for many years. I check every food I eat for potassium content (though it's not always listed) and try to choose whichever one has more of it.

                  I've added more broccoli, almonds, raisins, potatoes, tomatoes, and dried apricots--as well as prunes.

                  Some time ago I found that low-sodium (Original) V8 juice is loaded with potassium compared to many juices. I have a 5.3-oz. can of it every day too.

                  I'm still consulting those lists and trying to include the highest-potassium foods in my diet. It's an ongoing process.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    #84
                    IVIG all day today. Yesterday had morning doc visit, so no opportunity to swim, as I swim before DH goes to work in the mornings.
                    My cooktop blew a burner yesterday: freaky and a bit scary, waiting to see if the smoke alarms would go off, quick opened up teh doors and let the Florida hot air and bugs into the house. They didn’t go off, YAY! Cuz I dont know how to turn them off and the ceilings are so very high, as they are in modernist homes.
                    IVIG will give me a relief hopefully, and no spasms today hopefully...

                    Comment


                      #85
                      Good luck with the IVIG, Sunshine. I’m glad you are getting it on schedule.

                      Good work, Agate.

                      Husband is safely home from Austin. Color me happy!
                      ANN
                      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                      Comment


                        #86
                        Sunshine, so glad you’re still getting your IVIG in hospital. Hope you get a big jolt of energy and have some really good time out of it with no spasms.

                        Rose, you mentioned taking my body in for a checkup the way I do my car. That wouldn’t work for me because I don’t take my car in except once a year when I have to get it inspected. I have a recall on my front air passenger bag and they have been notifying me for about a year to bring it in and I still haven’t. Obviously I don’t let anyone ride in that seat. Hate to admit it but I am bad about upkeep on my car unless it is something mechanical and might leave me stranded.

                        I need to get better about my car and my body.😀

                        Had a call this morning about setting up a time for a Rebif shipment. The man committed on my accent. Told me he liked it. We were just talking about this recently. I am going to call Nuthatch one day and see if she can understand me.😁
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          #87
                          One more major goofup on my part. Or on somebody's part. I goof up and quite often it's because I haven't heard right. That's what I think happened this time. It's scary.

                          Weeks ago I set up an annual appointment with the neuro. I thought it was at 12 on Friday but today there was an automated call telling me it is 12:30. I called the office and found out that it is indeed 12:30. Two transportation possibilities have to be changed. Because it's late for making changes, I will probably have pretty bad transportation arrangements.

                          All because (I'm guessing here) I probably didn't hear 12:30 when I was told. I heard 12:00.

                          And I have hearing aids that are doing as much for me as can be done, probably. I really dislike not hearing well. I've been spending quite a lot of time and energy just patching up situations where I've misheard.

                          Since this particular office has been less than efficient in the past, it's possible it was their mistake, but this time I think it was mine.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #88
                            [B]:) Agate that is great you got your potassium up with food.

                            I am doing my exercises more often and I definitely want to go to the class reunion on the 21st. I am going to make a reservation for the Holiday Inn near the restaurant. I am hoping Jim will keep Lacy while I am gone.

                            I want to visit with my sister in law and my brother on the way back. I have started taking apple cider pills to try to lose some weight. It is harder as I am not as active.

                            I talked to a lawyer yesterday and they won't take the case. My supplemental policy does not cover aides. If I had Medicaid that would. Now that I have spent most of my savings I may be eligible for Medicaid. Jeanie :)[/B]

                            Comment


                              #89
                              Jeanie, I'm so glad I've been able to be on Medicaid all along. It seems to work so much more efficiently than the different private insurance plans. I go in with my Medicaid number or card, and that's the end of it so far as having to deal with bills is concerned.

                              Sometimes I owe a small amount. Sometimes I'm told I owe a copay but I don't, and need to settle that. But it usually isn't a long drawn-out process.

                              I go to doctors and get rx's and pay only small copays on the rx's. I see a statement each month showing what has been paid out but usually I just file that away.
                              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                              Comment


                                #90
                                Jeanie, have you talked to Andy about driving you to your reunion? Is that the plan? I sure hope you get to go. You have waited and worked so hard for this.

                                Agate, could you just keep your same appointment and sit in the waiting room with your iPad or a book and wait the extra 30 minutes. Seems like a lot of trouble you have to go to for 30 minutes. Or is it not that simple?
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X