Yes, I agree Ann there is something wrong with this weather. It was in the low 70s here. Just not natural. I hear wind and rain moving in. Supposed to be real heavy from about 2AM until sunrise, but sounds very heavy already. Then tomorrow it is to be as warm or warmer than today. I don’t like it.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
January Chitchat (oh, and it's 2020 now)
Collapse
X
-
:) I don't like it either. We tied the record for this date at 84. Having to use AC. It is going to stay in the 80's all week.
I went to hear Andy's band and they were really playing well tonight. I think having an audience helps. Another friend of theirs from school came with his girlfriend and played bongos and then played the drums for the last set. Andy has written several songs and I really like one called Evermore.
My dash brake warning light came on on the way there and on the way home. I put it in neutral at stop lights so the brakes could cool. I will go to the mechanic on Monday. I hope it just needs brake fluid.
My Canadian friend comes Wednesday night at 8 PM. I am anxious to see her. She will be here 13 days. The county fair is here and the Norton museum has a huge Georgia Okeefe show on. I am up at 3 AM because I cannot sleep. Climate change weird weather seems to be everywhere. My friend in Tulsa has tornado warnings and she has all her supplies in the middle bathroom and gets in the tub. I hope they miss her. She is Andy's wife's mother. Jeanie :)
Comment
-
I understand about your low tunnel and needing to release the heat. I had to spray water on some plants even though the soil in the pots was wet but some plants need the humidity I provide with spraying lightly. So cloudy days are welcome once in a while to give me a break!Originally posted by stillstANNding View PostNice that you treated yourself, Virginia.
I did grocery shopping w Peter and MIL today and lunch at a small Thai restaurant that used to be a gas station. I had Ginger Chicken, of course, a really good version.
At TraderJoe’s I bought a pot of hyacinths because they will feed my soul:
“If I had but two loaves of bread, I would sell one and buy hyacinths, for they would feed my soul.”
— Mohammed
It was 70 in Boston today, January 11th. Something is terribly wrong with that. I need to open my low tunnel tomorrow to let out heat.
ANNLinda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
Comment
-
Low tunnel? I have no idea what you speak of! I assume heating systems are different across the country and I'm on the other side of the continent with quite different weather, humidity, etc., but I agree that the weather is out of whack these days. It scares me!
My husband reported to me that a potted miniature rose we have had for many years, appears to have died. Daughter's boyfriend at the time, gave her that rose way back in '95, when she was a junior in high school. That poor rose has struggled back through heat, frost and plain neglect but a recent heavy frost was just too much. Or maybe it was just it's time? What is the lifespan of a miniature rose?
Speaking of frost, we have some ornamental plants in the front yard called Society Garlic Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... It's called that because when you break a leaf, it smells like garlic.
The Saturday after Christmas we got up to heavy frost. The kids all departed between 8 and 10 and we went out in the icy cold to see them off. When we went out the door we were hit in the face with a very, very strong garlic smell! I guess the heavy frost really set those plants off! I've never smelled it so strong, you'd think we were in a field of garlic during harvest time.
Funny, that makes me think of Gary . . . wonder how he's doing. Cherie too.
Jeanie, I'm so glad you're able to resume many of your activities now. You're one resilient lady.
I can't imagine living where there is so many tornadoes, like your friend. I count my blessings every single day.
Last night I listened to a podcast about the homeless problem. It's worse than ever, or maybe it's just more visible. I was not surprised to learn that CA has 1/3 of the nation's homeless population. The cost of living here is a big problem but the weather is better if you have to live without a roof over your head. Having worked in schools for years, I know that there are whole families living out of cars. Most people don't recognize that. It's very sad.
They talked about the problem in Paso Robles, just a couple of miles from my home. Here is a link to the podcast if anyone wants to listen. You don't need to register or anything to listen.
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
I'll quit rambling for now. Feeling stronger each day but I start coughing if I talk much. Off oxygen all day! See the doc's NP tomorrow morning, them home health comes in the afternoon.
Comment
-
Congratulations, Nuthatch, on being off O2 fora whole day. Progress.
A low tunnel is usually a poly sheet over hoops to keep frost off a garden bed and to warm up the soil. It extends the growing season at both ends. It. Might have been a preventive for the miniature rose. Here’s an internet picture:
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
Well, a link to a picture then.
Hope your day is good.
ANNThere comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK
Comment
-
Nuthatch, glad you are feeling better and getting stronger. It is good that Home Health is being brought in. I hope they come more than one time per week. Guess DH would be happy to have them too.
I did nothing in house last week other than clean my bathroom a little and change the linens on my bed. So, today I am trying to do a little housework and I am hoping Laura will come this week. She did not last week.Virginia
Comment
-
Jeanie, since you had to pay such a whopping price, they certainly should have provided a comfortable waiting area! In fact, they ought to have brought you a meal. with them picking up the tab.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
:) They had a nice waiting area with free Kuerig coffee. A few doors down was Dunkin Donuts and I got a soda and sandwich there for lunch. At 6 PM the assistant manager told me it would be another hour or more. About a block away was KFC so I went there on my scooter and had dinner.
They finished avout eight and the AM came out and moved my van to the handicap space and put out my ramp. Then he went in and got some spray cleaner and cleaned my windshield which was covered in something that made it look fuzzy.
I am glad I went there as my mechanic would have probably kept it overnight and with Kim coming I need it here. i was glad to get home and Lacy was happy to have me home and some lights on. Jeanie :)
Comment
-
Dump, bank, and store day. I got everything, even things I don't usually get. I did make a list, but a few things I thought of in the store.
I got in, and made a bowl of coleslaw while my coffee was brewing. I'm all done until next week. Sipping on my coffee, and Sam is planted on my lap where she always is.
Everyone have a great day!"Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."
Albert Einstein
Comment
-
I got through the apartment inspection on Monday and spent yesterday getting over the experience. There are so many details to take care of when they have these inspections, and having to be all dressed with everything shipshape by 9 AM isn't so easy for a creaky retiree who's in the habit of easing into days slowly.
I'm trying to get out to the dumpster with the trash regularly but there's been some snow, including some that I just learned is called graupel:
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
The photo in the article isn't a very good picture of it because it's graupel on top of snow. When I've seen it, it looks like small pellets all over everywhere, and I always thought it was just some strange kind of hail, but it isn't exactly.
With snow still in the forecast, there may not be a grocery delivery on Thursday, and there may need to be an Instacart order instead, if the Instacart people aren't also incapacitated by the weather.
--Yesterday I learned that the study I've been taking part in for nearly 2 years is coming to an end. I was told it was to be a 3-year study and was glad for the extra bit of income but it turns out it's ending early for some reason. On the up side, I'll be relieved not to have to wear their watch/pedometer (the watch has a dial I can't read, the pedometer on it doesn't work, and it's heavy on my wrist) or to use their scales (it's very very hard to move and needs recharging sometimes) or their pillbox (its lids are always breaking off).
They were supposed to be finding out how technology could help seniors to stay independent. I hope they learned something useful.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment

Comment