Yes, he's there. We should hear from him soon so he can tell us if they have found signs of life. We need to know these things for the next trip. Sure hope the 300million miles was not too hard on him.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Entirely Offtopic: Amazing Facts About and Experiences Of Me!
Collapse
X
-
Hi Everyone,
Yes indeed, we made it!
I am not ashamed in the least to admit that I was very nervous in the last hour before landing and even teared up a little upon success.
Just before the 7 minutes of terror I was hearing a lot of "Are we there yet?" and "I don't know why you signed us up for this in the first place" and more ominously, "If you think this takes the place of a real family vacation you are sorely mistaken".
I found the landing riveting, exciting, and gratifying. What a thrill !
I for one am darn glad to be aboard and mounted with a great view from the top of the rover !
By-the-way NASA is accepting signups for the next mission if one is so inclined.
If we come across any martians I expect we shall be taken to their leader and I will follow up with a full report of that event.
Brian
Cathy
And the Young-in
*another random thought *
- 1 like
Comment
-
((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~
Brian ~
So relieved that you, Cathy and your young-in are safe on Mars. As far as we know, there should be no COVID there, so that's a plus. Nonetheless, you'll probably still have to wear a mask.
If you do encounter Martians, I hope they are friendly, peaceful, and informative. Take some selfies with them. We'd love to see them!
You can send us a virtual postcard from Mars: "Wish you were here."
Love & Light,

Rose
*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.
- 1 like
Comment
-
Do take some pictures of the planet and let the other passengers know we are waiting for them. I wonder how long it takes for e-mail or any kind of cyber mail to travel 300 million miles. Tell Cathy and young-in we wish we could have gone. Hope they have a good trip, but I agree with Cathy - a family vacation will be in order after the three of you return to earth. By the way, what year will that be?Virginia
Comment
-
Virginia, I'll be sure to let folks know that the people of Earth eagerly await their return.Originally posted by Virginia View PostDo take some pictures of the planet and let the other passengers know we are waiting for them. I wonder how long it takes for e-mail or any kind of cyber mail to travel 300 million miles. Tell Cathy and young-in we wish we could have gone. Hope they have a good trip, but I agree with Cathy - a family vacation will be in order after the three of you return to earth. By the way, what year will that be?
If I am getting the math right, email transmissions should take nearly 27 minutes to travel from Mars to Earth. (distance in miles divided by the distance light travels in one second then, divided by 60 to produce an answer in minutes)(300,000,000/186,000 divided by 60)
I wish I had read the brochure more carefully.
Cathy is surprised that not more of you came with us and the young-in says she has broken the news to her boyfriend who now wishes he had come too.
It remains to be seen if we will be in any financial position to vacation as I still hope to send said young-in off to college...perhaps remotely.
NASA has a return from Mars plan in the works called: Mars Sample Return and they intend that this will occur in just ten short years (Earth years that is).
Our rover will be taking samples and saving them for Mars Sample Return to arrive by 2031 and fly them back to Earth. Since this will be the first ever return to Earth from the Red Planet I suppose we have a bit of time to explore ahead of us.
I will be keeping my eye out for Matt Damon's camp, just in case that movie was based on a true story!
Best regards
Lost in space
Brian and Family
Last edited by RandomThought; 02-19-2021, 08:55 PM.*another random thought *
- 1 like
Comment
-
While we're waiting for Brian's first-hand account, there's this. I'd be interested in knowing what is in that hole on Mars but that wasn't disclosed.
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~
Brian ~
So, you, Cathy, and young-in are on Mars for 10 years? Good luck with that! And, who knows what condition Mother Earth might be in 10 years from now? She may be uninhabitable if we don't rapidly change course in the world. I hope you packed for longer than 10 years, just in case.
agate ~
For much of the video, I was thinking that this could be a dermatologist's exam of someone with a serious skin condition. I saw what looked like a blood vessel, pock marks, suspicious moles. And that crater! Who knows what is in there? I guess that's what Perseverance will determine in its testing.
Love & Light,

Rose
*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.
- 1 like
Comment
-
When the Dept. of Agriculture eliminated the first U.S. Asian Giant Hornet nest last fall they performed a careful analysis of it and determined it likely that many young queens had already left. In their life cycle they'd "winter over" to emerge this spring and start new nests of their own.
Yesterday I built two simple traps with the intent of capturing said princess before we get another nest around here!
Cathy has given me permission to add this to my resume "Asian Giant Hornet Hunter" she did, however, insist that I drop the Extraordinaire (even though I think that's the best part!).
If and when I capture one the WSDA will want to attach a tiny, radio transmitter to it...turn it loose...and follow it back to the new nest. (this is how they located the first one)
If and when that happens you can bet I will post pictures and add Extraordinaire to my resume despite Cathy's belief that it is "a bit much"!*another random thought *
- 3 likes
Comment
-
Anybody who even thinks about attaching a "tiny radio transmitter" to a hornet deserves the "extraordinaire" added to his title.
That must be one very tiny radio transmitter, and I'd want to keep a very respectful distance from the process of attaching it.
I can't imagine how it's done unless the hornet is anesthetized somehow.
SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
- 2 likes
Comment
-
They refrigerate them causing them to become inactive. Last year gluing the transmitter didn't work but tying the thing on with dental floss was successful.
WSDA Sheri Hartman Attaching Radio Tag 2.jpg*another random thought *
- 3 likes
Comment
-
Is this still the thread for amazing facts about and experiences of RandomThought?
I just found out that there is an actual photo of Brian in his Profile. Since he hasn't shown up here lately, I thought it might be OK to mention it. Knowing he's been found out might bring him out of his hiding place....SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment

Comment