Things Sam does? How about the things Howie does? He pulls teeth, builds cars. How many of us can say we've done either of those?
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Entirely Offtopic: Amazing Facts About and Experiences Of Me!
Collapse
X
-
Now Arriving: Mars
My family and I are soon arriving at Mars and intend to land in the Jezero Crater with the Perseverance Rover.
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
Admittedly I did not foresee our current pandemic when I signed all three of us up to travel. It was simply an opportunity offered by NASA to have one's name micro-inscribed on the lander, print one's boarding pass, and make the trip.
It has been nice knowing Ya...
Brian, Cathy and (internet private) Youngster
B boarding pass.jpg
C boarding pass.jpg
boarding pass.jpg*another random thought *
Comment
-
So Feb. 18 will be a big day for you and your family, Brian? Who knew that you were hurtling through space? You must have nerves of steel, to be posting on Internet boards while on this epic adventure but maybe there's not really so much else to do out there?
That spidery thing they're calling the Rover--It's going to nose around and pick up little bits of junk on Mars, is it? And bring it back for analysis?
(Who knows? There might even be some new coronavirus thingies out there, lurking....)
I'll stop carping now because there are space-travel fans on this board and I wouldn't want to get on their bad side....
Seriously, congratulations on getting the boarding passes. I hope that entitles you to especially good views of the activity on Mars.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
Thank You for your well wishes; I was pretty sure you'd understand. I can't even imagine you getting on someone's bad side?Originally posted by agate View PostSo Feb. 18 will be a big day for you and your family, Brian? Who knew that you were hurtling through space? You must have nerves of steel, to be posting on Internet boards while on this epic adventure but maybe there's not really so much else to do out there?
That spidery thing they're calling the Rover--It's going to nose around and pick up little bits of junk on Mars, is it? And bring it back for analysis?
(Who knows? There might even be some new coronavirus thingies out there, lurking....)
I'll stop carping now because there are space-travel fans on this board and I wouldn't want to get on their bad side....
Seriously, congratulations on getting the boarding passes. I hope that entitles you to especially good views of the activity on Mars.
As for the nerves of steel, we are plenty nervous because they are calling the landing "7 minutes of terror" and I would prefer if I were doing the driving.
Robots! Gotta love em! (or suffer their terrible wrath)*another random thought *
- 1 like
Comment
-
Originally posted by RandomThought View PostMy family and I are soon arriving at Mars and intend to land in the Jezero Crater with the Perseverance Rover.
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
Admittedly I did not foresee our current pandemic when I signed all three of us up to travel. It was simply an opportunity offered by NASA to have one's name micro-inscribed on the lander, print one's boarding pass, and make the trip.
It has been nice knowing Ya...
Brian, Cathy and (internet private) Youngster
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5559[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5560[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5561[/ATTACH]
Neat! My husband was one of the engineers who worked on the development of the fuel cell that powered the first Apollo moon shot. I never got a ‘ticket to ride’. You’d think I would have an in..being the long suffering wife and all that. He also worked on deep sea diving (SSV) submarine and I never got a ride under the sea either!Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
- 1 like
Comment
-
((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~
Brian ~
Well, this explains a lot of things.
Is your son's name "Howie?"
I hope you watched "The Martian," before you left on this voyage. If you survive the "7 minutes of terror" during landing, let's hope you all have the Perserverance to survive the rest of your years there.
Linda ~
How cool that John was an engineer on such major projects. And then, he became a farmer. There must be a story there!
He loves you to the moon and back and as deep as the blue sea. He planted your feet on the ground to stay close to you.
Love & Light,

Rose
*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.
- 1 like
Comment
-
Oh...um... Ive been involved in a LOT of things I haven't yet mentioned on the forum (what with me being so shy and all; hard to believe right?).Originally posted by Virginia View PostBrian, why was the departure date July, 2020 and we are just now finding out about it?
Linda, great that John has done so much for our space program, but I can't figure him leaving his bride behind.
I really am glad to hear more of everyone's stories as we keep on keeping on.
*another random thought *
- 1 like
Comment
-
Okay Random Thought - I remembered someone I saw once a very long time ago. I doubt that anyone on here will remember her. I had just got married and was living in Memphis, Tn. There was a place in Arkansas, across the river from Memphis, called Hot Springs, Ark. It was thought of as little Las Vegas. They had slot machines and lots of different gambling places. They also had entertainers who came and put on shows at clubs. We had made friends with a Doctor who was then in the Army. He was young and had not yet done his residency, but he called the club using the Doctor in front of his name and made a reservation for 4. We were seated at a table right up at the stage. We were all young and broke, but that title got us the best table in the house.
Kay Ballard came out and performed really great in person. She was a performer who played to the crowd. That was the first time I had ever played a slot machine. Don't know if they shut Hot Springs down or not. It was a fun week-end. The Doctor was engaged to a nurse who he later married. We got back to Memphis about 1/2 hour before she had to be at the hospital to go to work. We all hated to leave.
Bet no one has heard of Kay Ballard.Virginia
- 1 like
Comment
-
Virginia, the name Kaye Ballard rings a bell but when I looked her up, I couldn't remember hearing any of her songs. I believe she was pretty well known?
Hot Springs, AR, is more familiar--even though I've never actually been there. I lived in that state and at the time Hot Springs did have a reputation for its gambling opportunities. I believe that the casinos were shut down permanently by Gov. Win Rockefeller though there is a horse-racing track at Hot Springs now.SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
What a fun story !Originally posted by Virginia View PostBet no one has heard of Kay Ballard.
Never heard of Kay Ballard? Kay Ballard? Didn't she co-star in the situation comedy "The Mothers In-law" ?
By the way...during my prolonged bachelorhood I spent some time as a semi-professional gambler...had I been any good at it I'd have been rich.
*another random thought *
- 1 like
Comment
-
Thanks Rose,Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~
Brian ~
Well, this explains a lot of things.
Is your son's name "Howie?"
I hope you watched "The Martian," before you left on this voyage. If you survive the "7 minutes of terror" during landing, let's hope you all have the Perserverance to survive the rest of your years there.
Linda ~
How cool that John was an engineer on such major projects. And then, he became a farmer. There must be a story there!
He loves you to the moon and back and as deep as the blue sea. He planted your feet on the ground to stay close to you.
Love & Light,

Rose
*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
John left industry and taught math, chemistry and physics at a community college for 30 years. That schedule allowed him to farm for much of the growing season and then be a full time farmer once his teaching career was over. He hated working in a building in a cubicle with no windows! He loved being a researcher in industry but...the call of growing up Italian was even greater!Linda~~~~
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..
- 1 like
Comment
-
((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~
Virginia ~
I remember Kaye Ballard very well. To me, she was more of a comedian than a singer. She was on lots of TV shows in the 50s-60s. I always enjoyed her.
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
Now, who remembers Spike Jones, with whom she worked?
Apparently, my mother believed that I had some kind of talent,
when I was a wee lass. She dragged me to a supermarket parking lot to audition for Spike Jones. I didn't have stage fright, but I could only remember the first two lines of the song. I just kept singing those two lines for a couple of minutes, then I looked up at Spike and said, "That's all I know!"
The crowd (yes, there was a crowd, Spike was popular) laughed, so Spike repeated my line to the audience, "That's all she knows folks!" More laughter.
I curtsied to applause and walked off the stage. I felt successful. I made people laugh. Sadly, for my mother, that was the end of my show biz career.

Love & Light,

Rose
*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.
- 1 like
Comment


Comment