Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wordle, daily word-guessing game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I read an article today where a woman worked out that the best word to start with is ROATE. Yes, that is a word that has an obscure tax meaning.

    Comment


      #17
      Interesting that she figured that out.
      Virginia

      Comment


        #18
        Heck, I was going to play wordle tonight. I put the first word in and inadvertently hit enter.
        Virginia

        Comment


          #19
          ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

          I tried ROATE today, and it wasn't as helpful as the other words I've tried first.

          Virginia ~

          You are supposed to hit "Enter" after you finish the first word in the puzzle. Then you will see black letters, green letters or yellow letters. Black means the letters are not in the puzzle word. Green means the letter is in the puzzle and in that same location (eg., if the letter A is green and is the third letter in the word, then it is the third letter in the word you're trying to guess). The yellow letter means that the letter is in the puzzle word, but in the wrong location.

          So, you think of another word with A in the third position and the yellow letter and where it might go in the word.

          You type that word into the second spot under your first word. Hit Enter to see if you got more letters right.

          Continue trying a new word using the green and yellow letters. It's a process of exclusion. Also, we discovered the other day that a green letter can sometimes be used twice in a word.

          There are 6 rows of 5 squares, so you have 6 chances to get the right word.

          I hope that helps you.

          Wordle must be very popular. I watched on line clips from Saturday Night Live this morning, and they did a sketch with DT using Wordle as a visual aid to his "speech."

          Happy Wordle-ing everyone!

          Love & Light,

          ❤️❤️❤️❤️

          Rose
          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

          Comment


            #20
            There's a somewhat harder version called Absurdle. I've been ignoring its rules because they looked pretty daunting. I found I could get the hang of it just by using the Wordle rules and tinkering with it a little. You get unlimited guesses.

            In both games you can have a word like PUPPY, with one letter occurring more than once in the word.

            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
            Last edited by agate; 01-24-2022, 07:36 PM.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              #21
              I am having fun with this game. Thank you for sharing it….it occupies just the right amount of time to solve so that it does not distract me too long!
              Linda~~~~

              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

              Comment


                #22
                One thing about Absurdle--you can keep playing more and more times each day. There isn't a one-word-a-day limit. So a person can play it for hours. Something to do when you don't want to do anything on your to-do list.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #23
                  ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                  agate ~

                  Thank you for the link to Absurdle! It's good practice for Wordle. Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show played Wordle on air. It took about 7 minutes. There's a clip of it on You Tube. I just didn't know whether I should link it.

                  Love & Light,

                  ❤️❤️❤️❤️

                  Rose
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Who knew that a mere word game could become so popular?
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Thanks again. .with the very cold. Weather today and major snow storm coming on Saturday , this game will be great. The absurdle link will be helpful when I want to occupy myself over the next few days.
                      Linda~~~~

                      Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I have to say, I am not enjoying Absurdle as much. Since the game's algorithm is playing against me, it loses its enjoyment when I've narrowed it down, but the game will force me to try all similar choices because it does not have a static 5 letter word, but continues to change it until I've exhausted all other possibilities first. That is necessary to go through that process of elimination.

                        For example, If I've narrowed it and one choice is funny, it will not consider it correct if I still have available letters to try to spell sunny or bunny. It only considers one the correct answer if I've first exhausted the rest of the possibilities. This is the problem when the game does not have an initial word I'm trying to guess, but alters it and changes it based on my letter choices as I go along. Its goal is to make it hard for me to narrow it down. It is basically a practice of deduction where you must eliminate all other choices before it will agree that you finally have the winning word choice.

                        So, it ends up being annoying, knowing I have to exhaust the rest of the possibilities before it will register one as the correct one. And because it has this adversarial feature, I find too often, it narrows it down to annoying multiple choices that often have multiple same letters that require this process of elimination, ie, puppy, yuppy, guppy. This now occurs more often than not, it is how it starts to narrow down the available word choices. And because of this process, it almost never gives you any correct letters in the first or second try since it does not have any word guess even selected yet, it only starts narrowing down your choices as you continue to input letters and it strikes them off the list for possible words even available. It doesn't matter if you input words with popular letters at first, it only takes those out of any possible word choices since it has not selected the word you're even trying to match yet. It's eliminating words with those initial letters as options at the beginning, not matching them to a possible word choice. So, it completely eliminates any chance or luck element as it is eventually selecting your correct word based solely on the letters you input and they can remove to start narrowing down your word options. And if you've inputted popular letters to make words at first, the system removes any words containing those initial entries: it's not trying to match them, it is removing any words containing them for the first couple rounds. I find it repeats the same words too if the algorithm recognizes that you are inputting the same guess words, so you end up repeating the process if you repeat your guesses at all, the system narrows it down to exactly the same word options. I've found lots of puppy, mommy, mamma, etc. because it ends up removing so many letters and possible words in the first two guesses where it is essentially taking away all words containing the letters I input. After that, not a lot of choices left when I originally select such popular letters, so it ends up having to repeat the same letters in the final words.

                        So, I'm finding it far more tedious, it's like I'm fighting the system and then stuck in this cycle at the end trying all these different combinations until I've eliminated all other choices and it's the only one left, since it is changing the word, I must try every possible choice that fits before it accepts a winning word. It takes all skill out of it too as it manipulates possible words based on what it can remove by the letters you've chosen. It is trying to prevent me from matching a word.

                        Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                        Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                        Comment


                          #27
                          This is similar to a game I think is called mastermind. It's played with plastic pegs on a plastic board with rows of holes. Two players. One person arranges colored pegs in a row behind a shield on a board. The other has a similar board in which he places colored pegs in the row. The first person then uses black and white pegs in a row to indicate which are correct and which are not. The second person then tries again with the next row until correct color is in correct place.

                          My memory was not quite accurate, but close.
                          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                          Last edited by Parsi; 01-26-2022, 12:42 PM.

                          Comment


                          • SuzE-Q
                            SuzE-Q commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, looks like similar strategy of elimination. I don't think I've ever played it.

                            This just becomes too tedious in Absurdle, it is too time consuming having to eliminate down to single letters since it will not consider an answer correct until you have removed every single other word possibility for remaining letters first. I prefer wordle where your own skill/luck and letter choices actually influence how well you will do. That factor is totally removed in Absurdle.

                          #28
                          I hadn't heard of MasterMind. It looks as if it would be fun.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #29
                            Here's another option, exactly like Wordle, except you can play as many times as you like, and, if you wish, you can change the # of letters in the word you are guessing. Same 6 attempts allowed.

                            Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                            Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                            Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                            Comment


                              #30
                              Thanks SuzE-Q. The hello word link works and the game is fun.
                              Linda~~~~

                              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X