Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

July chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    July chitchat

    Somehow we're in July now, and do we call that "high summer"? Happy Independence Day to those who observe it!

    Why not let us know what is going on with you? All of you people who haven't been here lately, we still care here.

    July 1 is jingle's birthday! Over in the Emotional Support section there is a birthday greeting.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    #2
    Thanks Agate for once again getting us started for the month.

    I am not very pleased with how I had to start the month. I had another tooth break Friday night. Like the last one, it was one of the top teeth right in the front. I had thought all weekend it was the same tooth that broke two months ago. I got up early (which in itself is hard for me now) because I wanted to start getting dressed in case the Dentist wanted me to come in right away. It was 2:15 when I was able to get an appointment, which I was so glad to get it could have been 6 o'clock and I still would have said thank you and taken it. When you have a big gaping hole in the front of your mouth most people don't argue about the time of their appointment.

    It turned out to be the tooth next to the one that broke the end of April, so I was wrong about that. So much of it broke that the Dentist kept asking me if it was hurting me. I kept telling him it wasn't. He x-rayed the tooth and showed me how close it was to the nerve. We discussed it for a few minutes and decided to go with a crown. He worked on the first step. It is to be a three step process. I was in the chair being worked on for two hours. I go back for the 2nd step on August 1st. The third step he will put the crown on. I am not sure how long that will be after the next one.

    There was one thing that really bothered me and that is I might still, after all this, have to have a root canal. He knew I wanted to try and save my tooth and not have it pulled.

    I drove myself today and I am very tired tonight. A lot of the tiredness is getting up much earlier than usual.

    Other than that, the weather was cool after a good rain last night. Tomorrow the temperature will start back up and the next appointment I have which is Wednesday it will be in the 90s. I noticed that over the weekend it will be 100 degrees.

    Since I was so tired I didn't try to go to the grocery store. My brother and his wife are going to pick up a few items for me.

    Everyone, I hope you have a great month!
    Virginia

    Comment


      #3
      What bad luck that a tooth broke, Virginia! I hope you can get along without the root canal.

      I keep telling myself that I'm old enough now for parts of me to be wearing out, falling apart, but it's something I don't continue thinking about for very long because the next step in that thought process is wondering which tooth will go next. I narrowly escaped a root canal with a molar a couple of years ago, and ever since then I've been aware that the dentist is watching that tooth.

      Just waiting for it to go next, maybe.

      The new building manager who was (finally) going to show up today didn't. Why am I not surprised?

      In a way I'm a little surprised. A couple of weeks ago one of the head honchos from the management company told me very definitely that we would have our new manager July 1. She seems to have told at least one other person this too.

      Also, they always want their rent promptly on the 1st and usually show up to collect it. No sign of anyone today except for the maintenance man. I told him what I'd been told but he said nobody ever tells him anything and he knew nothing about it.

      Maybe once again they thought they had someone but that fell through. Or at least that's the story and I have no way of knowing whether it's true.

      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #4
        Agate, I can't even get my management company to return a telephone call telling me what kind of material my roof is. My house insurance renews this month for a year. I got the policy in the mail and it states in very plain English that if I have a new roof to call them that I probably will get a discount on my policy. They said I should know the name of the material used. I have been trying to get a return call since last week so I can find out the kind of material. Since they hired the roofers they should know.

        I don't expect the person who takes care of my community to immediately pick up the phone, however I have been trying since last week to get the answer to what seems to me to be a as simple question.

        My brother and his wife brought me some groceries this morning, so now I have food that I am looking forward to. I even got some vanilla ice cream as a treat for myself since I should not be eating anything hard right now with my temporary homemade tooth my dentist made me yesterday.

        I was very upset yesterday when the girls in the dentist office told me I should not eat popcorn. That is my nightly snack and had been for a long time. I had no idea that it can crack your teeth. I thought I was doing something healthy by having popcorn which I love anyway. Turns out I am, except for my teeth which they say it can crack.
        Virginia

        Comment


          #5
          Ice cream sounds like a great idea! I hadn't ever heard that about popcorn but it seems to me that just about anything can crack a tooth. I've known teeth to crack when I was eating something ridiculously soft, like apple sauce.

          Does the roofing company that did the job have a Website? My guess is that they do. You might have better luck contacting them by chat if they have a chat window or e-mail or a call. Even better might be a Website for your management company but it might not have many ways of contacting them.

          If you have the exact dates when the job was done at hand, that might be helpful when the roofing company looks up the job for you.

          So nice that your brother brought groceries!
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            We are posting all over the place, but I guess it doesn't matter given the amount of people who post. Thought I would post something on this thread to bump it up.
            Virginia

            Comment


              #7
              I think of us as placeholders these days. We're here in case anyone wants to drop by and say Hello and maybe reminisce about the good old days when this place was a beehive.

              Or they could drop by and "set a spell" and let us know what they've been up to.

              I have some news. Today this building actually got a new manager, after more than 6 months without one. I had heard about this about a week ago but said I'd believe it when it actually happened. It did happen today, and she is very nice--able-bodied and young enough not to be anywhere near retirement age.

              Virginia, how is the skylight problem? Did the debris get cleaned up successfully with the help of the person you mentioned? I hope so.

              On Monday and Tuesday this building's first floor is going to be chaos, and since I live on the first floor, I'll be right in the midst of it. If I stay in my apartment all the time I'll probably get only the noise and maybe some fumes from whatever adhesive is being used as they are putting in new flooring in the common areas. I'm not sure what areas they will be doing but it sounds major. It looks as if they will be ripping up the carpeting and replacing it with something else. I'm not sure what yet. It could be easier for the wheelchair (smoother surface) but it will also be noisier and colder in the winter than the carpet.

              I'm sure they're tired of replacing the carpeting here. It gets a lot of wear and tear, with people coming and going in all kinds of muddy, rainy weather.

              Speaking of noise, the fireworks are still going on in a very big way. I nearly jumped out of my skin a few times yesterday. There was at least one fireworks-related injury here (of course).
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #8
                Congratulations on your new manager. I hope she is a keeper. Maybe she will stay for a while. It would be good to have a nice one you can count on.

                Well, I didn't get to go to my nieces 3 year olds birthday party today. I woke about two hours after I went to bed last night. I was aching all over and freezing. I got up and turned the thermostat up to try and help me get warm. Nothing worked and I just continued to freeze and ache.

                I finally remembered that I had something like this several times when I was on Avonex. I can't remember if I have had it while on Rebif. Mid morning, while still laying in bed, I called my brother to tell him not to plan on picking me up today. He said he too remembered me having something like this before. I don't think I have had an occurrence in several years. I finally got up and have been sitting in the living room just resting. I am alright but still tired.

                I am going to fix a baked potato and some broccoli for supper. I can do them both in the microwave so it will be easy.

                I hope everyone is doing well today.

                ​​​​​​
                Virginia

                Comment


                • Parsi
                  Parsi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I remember the cold spells (I described them as hypothermia because nothing worked to warm me) after Avonex injections. Every time. Also severe leg spasms.
                  Definitely no fun.

                #9
                Those MS drugs are no walk in the park.

                So sorry you've had this reaction, Virginia--and your chills might be an effect of the Rebif. I found this on the Rebif Webpage:

                The most common side effects of REBIF include: • flu-like symptoms. You may have flu-like symptoms when you first start taking REBIF. You may be able to manage these flu-like symptoms by taking over-the-counter pain and fever reducers. For many people, these symptoms lessen or go away over time. Symptoms may include:
                • muscle aches
                • fever
                • tiredness
                • chills
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  #10
                  I had been on Avonex when I changed to Rebif. It is the same drug just administered differently and at a slightly stronger dose. I had a problem with Avonex, the way it was given back then. I was started on very low dose of Rebif and went up slowly without any problems. I have had an occasional problem like this one, but nothing like what you would call an ongoing problem. If it was an ongoing problem I would have to get off it.

                  I stayed up all night. I didn't mean to but I fell asleep in my chair during a thunder storm. I woke about 3AM. I had my tablet in my lap and decided to delete some unwanted emails. I came across one from a friend. She had sent me a link to something that I watched for almost two hours. I then decided I needed to eat a little something before I went to bed. By the time I got to bed it was about 6AM. I didn't get up until early afternoon. I ate a little lunch and now I am ready to go fix some supper.

                  I hope everyone has had a good weekend.
                  ​​​​​
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Current temperature here is 100'. I'm glad that the power hasn't failed.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      #12
                      You are experiencing about what we are, except during the thunderstorm and then the temperature came down.

                      I was planning on an earlier bedtime tonight, but got a call from my sister-in-law in Georgia. First time I had taken a call from my late husband's family since the tragedy. I like my in-laws, but we have a way of talking too long. Tonight I just decided to go ahead and talk to her.

                      It was really late when she got off the phone and I got supper fixed and then cleaned the kitchen after.

                      I am thinking it is about time for me to go now.
                      Virginia

                      Comment


                        #13
                        July means so much sun ............. I found the best sun protection. It's called "Stay inside and read a book".

                        Comment


                          #14
                          Hadn't seen the July chitchat till now . My daughter came round this morning to put my pills in the automatic pill dispenser. My youngest great grandson was with her. He's 13 months old and into everything! Can walk a few steps, but mainly still crawls. My daughter said she felt hot this morning, but I've not felt hot at all. It's not good Summer weather yet in the UK.
                          Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
                          the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

                          Comment


                            #15
                            "Good summer weather" being what, Tim? I think of good summer weather as mostly sunny days between 60' and 75', maybe even 80'-85' but other people seem to love the 90'-plus days. I'm not sure why.

                            Good plan there, jingle. I knew I had to take the trash out yesterday and should have done it in the early morning hours when it would still be cooler. But it was about 7 PM and still quite light out. I dreaded going to the dumpster with the trash even though it means only about 30 steps to get there from this building. I've been known to go numb if it's hot. But I was lucky. The sun had already left that area, and even though it was 100' outside, the shade I was in made it seem more bearable.

                            Love that shade. Love those trees that help to make it possible.
                            Last edited by agate; 07-08-2024, 12:21 PM.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X