Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT December Chit Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I've usually had only one cat at a time but every now and then there was a visiting cat who stayed on weekends or even for a whole week. The two didn't like each other much, and that never changed over the year or two when this was happening.

    I set them up with one cat occupying the living room-kitchen-bathroom area, and the other in the bedroom. Separate dishes, separate litter boxes, and a firmly shut bedroom door--it was the only way to keep them from getting all bent out of shape.

    But I've seen households where several cats lived together in a very friendly way. Guess it depends on the cat's personality and age--and probably how the humans handle the situation.
    Last edited by agate; 12-11-2016, 08:27 AM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      Sam loves to snuggle up against me, or Seven.

      I don't remember, but does the guy with the 300 cats get any local government money? If not, he should. He is doing a service for the whole community.

      That area they show in the picture looks very clean, and has scratching LOGS for the cats, and even has carpet on them to make a nice spot to stretch out.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        :) I got a call this morning from Ron's sister and he passed away yesterday afternoon. I am sad but I know he is no longer in pain and miserable. The last 2 or 3 years have been very hard for him. There will be no service.

        My Andy is at the Dolphin game and so far they are winning. Andy has tomorrow off and plans to mow my grass. It is in the 70's here.

        I slept good last night, so feel better today. Stay warm everyone. Jeanie :)

        Comment


          It's very odd to hear you say, Keep warm, Jeanie!

          Sorry that Ron has passed.

          ANN
          Last edited by stillstANNding; 12-12-2016, 08:57 AM.
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

          Comment


            :) Because most of you live in colder places than I do. Jeanie

            Comment


              Originally posted by agate View Post
              I've usually had only one cat at a time but every now and then there was a visiting cat who stayed on weekends or even for a whole week. The two didn't like each other much, and that never changed over the year or two when this was happening.

              I set them up with one cat occupying the living room-kitchen-bathroom area, and the other in the bedroom. Separate dishes, separate litter boxes, and a firmly shut bedroom door--it was the only way to keep them from getting all bent out of shape.

              But I've seen households where several cats lived together in a very friendly way. Guess it depends on the cat's personality and age--and probably how the humans handle the situation.

              Agate, I've read that cats actually prefer solitude, they would rather be the only cat in the household, even though many people don't believe this (or know it) and get another cat to keep the one company.

              Jeanie, so sorry to hear about Ron. My condolences.
              Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

              Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

              Comment


                Cats are as individual as people. Some cats like the company of other cats (or other animals), some don't. And getting cats comfortable in a multi-cat situation can be a challenge. We have had good success, but we haven't just thrown two cats together, either. Every time we've taken in a new cat with one (or more) already established, we've gone through the process of locking up the new sibling in a room, but letting the others smell us, smell the new ones litter, smell clothes that we've left in the room and them removed the next day. And in this house, the "isolation room" has a large enough gap under the door that the cats can slide their paw under it and touch each other.

                Of the four (now three) that we currently have, two were a mother/daughter pair (the mother has since died). They got along OK, of course, with the occasional squabble. When we introduced Tuffy, a male, we got him neutered right away, then isolated him. Cassie, the daughter, was really happy to hang out on the other side of the door, talking to him, sticking her paw under the door to touch him. When he had been locked away for a week, we let him out, under strict supervision. Momma cat was NOT happy -- lots of yelling and hissing and threatening behavior. We just stood by, ready to grab one or both...but after several displays of dominance on the part of the mother, they settled down. After some time, they never became best friends, but didn't fight with each other, either. Cassie and Tuffy, however, would sleep together, cuddle with each other, share food with each other.

                Then came TabbyGrey, another Tom. Again, neutered before letting in, a period of isolation, then letting out. Momma again displayed dominance, Tuffy boxed his ears once, Cassie cuddled up. After awhile, all became friends with him, and we'd find any combination of cats sleeping with him, and with us.

                Tuffy is the only one that, had he had a choice in the matter, would have loved to be "only" cat, but he tolerates the others well...and spends a lot of time in my lap... :)
                ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

                Comment


                  That's exactly how you're supposed to introduce a new cat into a furfamily, Cat!
                  Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

                  Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

                  Comment


                    :) Andy had a great time at the Dolphin game. They went down at 9 AM and tailgate cooked and ate and drank beer. He said the stadium is impressive and sent me a photo in a text message. He said all the seats are protected from the rain but the teams are in the rain.

                    Over 60,000 people leaving at the same time. Traffic was awful. They heard there was a wreck on the Turnpike so they took I-95 and there were 2 wrecks on that and it is usually a one hour drive. The game ended about 4:30 and he did not get home until after 8 PM. The ticket was $100. His friend goes all the time so he knew all the ins and outs.

                    Andys 4 cats are used to eating at 6 and 6 daily, and he said they were all meowing when he started up the walkway. Then they all came in the house with him for a bit. They are all feral fixed cats about 13 years old. I was glad he was not in the rain.

                    I told both sons about Ron as they were close to him too. There won't be a service but I am going to send his sister flowers. Jeanie :)


                    Last edited by Jeanie Z; 12-11-2016, 06:56 PM.

                    Comment


                      I just made my store run, and got to use the Food Lion gift card my sister sent me for my birthday. Among other things, I got TWO bags of shredded cheese for the cats.

                      Tomorrow, I have a fairly early Dr. appointment. I've written down everything I need for him to change. The dose on my pain med mostly, I'm tired of hurting all the time.

                      Everyone have a great evening!
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                        Two bags of shredded cheese for the cats! One for each cat? While you're at the doctor's maybe you should make sure the bags are in the refrigerator where the cats can't get at it.

                        I have yet to see a cat open a refrigerator door but then I don't know Sam. I once had a kitten who loved to crawl into the refrigerator. I was always fishing her out from way back on the lowest shelf. But she couldn't open the door. She waited for me to open it.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          I always refrigerate the cheese. I give them cheese first thing in the morning, but ALL day, if I open the fridge, one or both are right there. Cheese fiends!

                          I decided to just make coffee and stay up all night. I see the doctor at 10:30, and after TRYING to sleep, I gave up and started the coffee.
                          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                          Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                            Don't be surprised if your blood pressure is elevated, Howie.

                            ANN
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                            Comment


                              Cool hand Howie's BP was normal. Everything went fine, got all my prescriptions renewed. I had a really nice talk with him. Soon, I'm going to take a nap, I am very sleepy. I haven't eaten yet because I know that soon after, it would knock me out.
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment


                                :) Howie did the doctor give you new pain meds? Jeanie :)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X