Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January 2018 Chit Chat Peg come bak

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    January 2018 Chit Chat Peg come bak

    :)Peg I hope you can get back on soon. You are missed.

    We are already two hours into our new year. Happy New Year everyone. year.I stayed up to watch the ball drop, mainly to hold Lacy as she was shaking so bad from all the fireworks. I think my neighbors bought out the fireworks store.

    They are finally easing up so I'm headed to bed. Jeanie :)
    Last edited by Jeanie Z; 12-31-2017, 10:25 PM. Reason: typo can't fix the title typo

    #2
    Hi,, thanks Jeanie,,I've been around,, its 21 below out there right now,,ewwww..

    Happy New Year,, I hope this year we all manage health wise.

    not much happening in our nic of the woods,,,haven;t heard from the neuro yet when, my infusion is to be, maybe this week they will let me know,, had 6 inches of snow Saturday,, and brutal temps,, just yuck,, :-(

    later then
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

    Peg

    Comment


      #3
      A New Year's Blessing For You All
      May God make your heart a happy one!
      Not by shielding you from all sorrows and pain,
      But by strengthening you to bear it, as it comes;
      Not by making your path easy,
      But by making you sturdy to travel any path;
      Not by taking hardships from you,
      But by taking fear from your heart;
      Not by granting you unbroken sunshine,
      But by keeping your face bright,
      even in shadows;
      Not by making your life always pleasant,
      But by showing you when people
      and their causes need you most,
      and by making you anxious to be there to help.

      GOD'S LOVE, PEACE, HOPE & JOY
      To you for the year ahead and always.

      Joan~nuthatch~

      Comment


        #4
        Good morning everyone. I stayed up to midnight so I could post a Happy New Year greeting, then went to bed. May this be the best year ever.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

        Albert Einstein

        Comment


          #5
          Glad you're back, Peg!

          Happy New Year to all!

          The fireworks were loud around here. No snow on the ground and none in the forecast, though,and that looks good for getting groceries later this week. The service that I use will be up and running again after their 2-week break.

          I spent entirely too long yesterday just trying to spend a $50 gift card that I got from taking part in a study. The study was easy--I just had to draw a bit of blood from my finger and send it to a lab and answer a few questions. If anyone wants to take part in this (it's an MS gene study), you can probably still sign up for it. I didn't post about it earlier because I had my doubts about how legit it was--couldn't find out much about the people running it. It seems to be quite legit but the gift card setup didn't work so well for me.

          There was a long list of companies where I could have used the card but I tried 3 of them before I found one that would take the card. This is the URL for the study:

          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

          I signed up for this over a month ago but it looks as if the study is still going on.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #6
            :) Peg I am glad you are okay but your temps are scary. I hope you hear about your infusion.

            I did not go to bed until 3 AM because my neighbors kept firing fireworks and Lacy was scared.

            Andy called and he is going to have to take his 13 year old cat, Socks to be put down tomorrow. He left all his feral cats in the house when he went to a NY's party with a box of dirt by the door. One used the box but they were all ready to go out when he got home.

            I am going to take Lacy to have her nails cut and then home and back out to grocery shop. I can't stand another grilled cheese sandwich. Happy New Year everyone. Jeanie :)
            Last edited by Jeanie Z; 01-01-2018, 08:27 AM.

            Comment


              #7
              Jeanie, thanks for getting us started. Seems strange not to see Peg's name. Peg, do [B]not[B] go out. That kind of weather is dangerous to say the least, and of course you know living there that it is dangerous within minutes.


              Nuthatch, thanks for the "New Year's Blessing". It is a nice one.

              Joan, (Agate) thanks for the info on the study. Sounds like you worked for it in trying to spend the gift card.

              So funny, I stayed up until after the ball dropped. However, it didn't even occur to me that I did not hear any fireworks around here at all. I had forgotten to listen for them. I don't think many of our people would have been outside last night. It was such a bitter cold. We have our own New Year's Celebration in downtown on New Year's Eve and usually many people attend that. It is also televised, but I watched the one on CNN. We drop a giant Acorn which is representative of our city.

              Jeanie, so sorry Andy is having to start the New Year by taking his cat in to be put to sleep.

              Ann, hope you and Peter have a good day with friends.

              HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!
              Virginia

              Comment


                #8
                Happy NewYear

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Pegakafarmgirl View Post
                  Hi,, thanks Jeanie,,I've been around,, its 21 below out there right now,,ewwww..

                  Happy New Year,, I hope this year we all manage health wise.

                  not much happening in our nic of the woods,,,haven;t heard from the neuro yet when, my infusion is to be, maybe this week they will let me know,, had 6 inches of snow Saturday,, and brutal temps,, just yuck,, :-(

                  later then
                  Hi Peg,
                  It is brutal here too. Two 100’ greenhouses using oil heat. We have lettuce growing in one and precious plants in both. If we shut them down we are out of business but I never saw them run 24/7 before! It is below O with wind chills making it 14 below...morning and night....brutal.
                  Linda~~~~

                  Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                  Comment


                    #10
                    :) Wow Peg and Linda I hope y'all are staying warm. I do not think I could survive temps that low. The one time I saw snow was more than enough snow for me. I definitely belong in Florida.

                    I can understand why Peg did not get online to start the chit chat. I would be under the electric blanket with the heat on full blast. I hope you get some warmer weather soon. Jeanie :)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Peter and I went to bed before midnight. We were listening to streaming music in the evening like any other night.

                      I woke up to what I thought was thunder snow. Peter thought it was neighbors putting trash out but then it happened again. We had just agreed that it was thunder snow when it started again and faster. That's when we realized it was fireworks in the harbor.

                      Today we went to lunch at Legal Seafoods w a childhood friend of Peter's, his wife and his mother. We've spent many Christmases together. After lunch we went back to MIL's house for desserts and coffee and tea.

                      It's 6 degrees going down to 2.

                      ANN
                      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                      Comment


                        #12
                        We stayed in last night and did an Amazon Prime Movie marathon. Started out with the "Lost City of Z" based on the real life explorations in the Amazon of Fawcett, an Irishman who was working as a cartographer for the International Geographic Society. It was OK but Not wonderful. However it was listed in the New York Times top 20 movies of 2017 in it's December 29 issue.

                        Then we moved on to the 2004 Robin Williams' movie "The Final Cut". It was a slightly futuristic sci fi flick about chips being implanted into the brains of newborns so that when the person died, all of their visual and auditory memories could be viewed and compiled into a "remembrance video". Some interesting twists and turns and well acted but not a superior film IMO.

                        Finally we watched "Taking Chance" with Kevin Bacon as a Marine Corps Major who is a number cruncher at the Pentagon feeling a bit like he is shirking his duty for putting in for yet another state-side office job request rather than going back to the Middle East. As a result of this guilt, when he comes across yet another list of Marines lost in action in Iraq, he offers to escort the remains of a 20 year old PFC home to Colorado, to his home town (Marine's name is Chance Phelps). Turns out the family had moved to Wyoming and this begins quite a journey for Bacon's character as he follows military protocols for final returns and has a life changing experience. This film is a tear jerker and is based on a true story. The military rituals for those killed in action are almost holy and liturgical in their being enacted and carried out. It felt like a spiritual journey watching it. Credits at the end show several photos of the real Chance Phelps and his accomplishments from childhood through enlistment. Profound and highly recommended.

                        Then we watched the ball drop wile munching on warmed stuffed brie and pepper/poppie crackers, sliced granny smith apples and champagne. In bed by 12:15 and up early to go to church and do the readings for the 10 am service. I literally thought all day long it was Sunday till a little after 7 tonight.

                        It is 5 degrees here but did get up to 18 today. Tomorrow morning they are supposed to come in single digit weather to strip the roof on our house and garage and replace it before another snow storm comes in on Thursday.

                        Happy New Year to all.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have been thinking of watching a movie on either Amazon or Netflix tonight. Maybe I will watch "Taking Chance".

                          Does anyone else on here feel they have to eat something special on New Year's Day like some people in the South do? I did not fix hopping johns, but I did fix some frozen black eyed peas, frozen collards, and some pork loin. I don't think that is exactly what we are supposed to eat, but it is close enough. It is supposed to bring good luck and money. Or maybe it is good health. If so, I think I will eat it everyday.

                          Cherie, sounds like a nice evening and Ann had a nice day also.

                          I hope everyone is warm and cozy tonight.
                          Virginia

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I know when we lived in TX we ate black eyed peas and ham on New Year's Eve. Last night I cooked wild sockeye salmon, grilled asparagus and baked potato for dinner. Then at 11:15 after the last movie had finished, I got out a wedge of stuffed brie that had been brought by a guest to our party last week and some crackers he also brought and heated the brie, set out the crackers and cut a Granny Smith apple then opened a bottle of champagne that had also been brought last week. We munched and sipped till shortly after midnight when we turned off all the lights in the windows and turned in. Growing up on the farm in Upstate NY, I remember we had a light supper of crackers and cheese, fruits and vegetables and finger desserts with punch made from ginger ale, HiC and sherbet. Also home made egg nog (NOT SPIKED as I grew up in a dry household).

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Back from a quick store run, and then tomorrow, I'll do a heavy store run, and get restocked. Very cold here, and looks like it will be all week. Have a great day everyone!
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X