Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

January 2018 Chit Chat Peg come bak

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    I hear you on "high rise" buildings, Agate. There was a guy from Kansas City in my PA class and he couldn't stop looking up. So many tall buildings here.

    I've never lived higher than the second floor in an apartment building but was on the fifth floor in a Pittsburgh dormitory.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

    Comment


      #62
      When I was young and didn't mind climbing we lived on 3rd floor of apartment building. I was in my late 20s and early 30s. We had a balcony that looked out over the swimming pool. We liked it then, but not since then have I wanted to live anywhere but street level. We had just arrived home from 3 years in Europe and we first got a first floor apartment in same complex, but when I heard someone overhead walk across the floor in high heels that was it. We asked for and got one on 3rd floor. I knew that I would take my shoes off and put on slippers when I came in out of respect for the whoever lived below me. There were only 3 floors and they were called "Garden Apartments" back then.
      Virginia

      Comment


        #63
        I've lived in a couple of apartments where someone walking in high heels on her bare floors overhead was a problem. Very hard to deal with! Virginia, not everyone is as considerate as you are.

        One of the women overhead also had a grand piano she loved to play. Luckily she was pretty good and played music I liked.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #64
          In college the highest level I've lived was the third floor of a dorm. When we were first married, we lived in a "garret" -- an attic, the third level of a house. Otherwise we've lived in houses, some rented, three bought. I think it would be interesting to live higher up so long as the view was good!

          Comment


            #65
            I had a long chat with my brother on Friday. So I found out is WAS Friday. I had lost track of what day it was. But that's easy to do these days. Every day is the same when you don't have anything to break up the days.

            I did go the store yesterday, not knowing if the car would even start. A 12 year old battery, plus the cold, gave me doubts. But the old Cruiser fired up on the second crank.

            Because of the super cold days we have had, my pipes are frozen. I know to let the water run just a little to keep the water moving. But I never thought of that until it was too late.

            Tonight and tomorrow are still supposed to be super cold, then Monday is the first day the pipes have to thaw out. There is a chance some will burst, so all I can do is hope. There is a guy next door that can replace any broken pipes, so at least that gives me some relief.

            So that's the news from here in the Artic. Have a great evening all!
            Last edited by Howie; 01-06-2018, 01:39 PM.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment


              #66
              I happened to remember seeing this in an e-mail from Consumer Reports just recently--about pipes freezing:

              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #67
                Howie, I am glad the car works but I'm sorry your pipes froze.

                ANN
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                Comment


                  #68
                  Howie, sorry the pipes are frozen. I forgot to let any water run last night and this morning I thought how lucky I was that everything was running. I think I will go upstairs tonight and let that one run through the night and one or two down here.

                  My (use to be friend) the lawyer, would let the pipes under his house freeze. He would take a hair dryer and go under and thaw them out. It was a fairly large nice house. I don't know why it wasn't better insulated. I think he finally had something done about it. One time he asked if he could shower in my spare downstairs bath because the pipes were frozen at his house and he was too tired to go under and unfreeze them. I thought it was funny because he could afford to have the pipes insulated and just didn't bother.

                  My house is not getting warm this afternoon. I have the thermostat on 73 and it will only get up to 69. Also the air coming out of the vents does not feel that it is coming out very much and not as warm as when it was first fixed. Yesterday when he first fixed it the air was coming out real good and it was real warm. I do not have the gas logs on because my propane bill is already going to be outrageous, so I am trying to conserve my propane. I have already packed the space heaters away and don't want to get them back out. I wonder if it is because it is so cold and so much electricity is being used that it just will not pull it. If this continues I will call them back when the weather moderates next week. As Howie said, it is suppose to get warmer about Tuesday and Wednesday. Maybe a little warmer on Monday. Maybe I will be able to tell then.

                  Cat, speaking of living in high rises, we had friends who had lived in one in Arlington, Va. and they loved it. They both worked for the Government and so did their neighbors next door. One night they would have "Happy Hour" at their house and the next night at the neighbor's house. They were much more inclined to socialize than I was. When I got home from work I just wanted to take my shoes off, get into some old clothes, fix dinner and relax for awhile before I had to get up and do it all over again.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #69
                    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                    I'm sending WARM HUGS to everyone struggling through this unbelievable winter storm! I'm so sorry your pipes are frozen, Howie! I'm glad that you have a neighbor to help you.

                    I wish that I could send you the sunshine and mild temps from our side of the continent.

                    Many prayers for you all to remain warm, safe, comfortable, healthy, and fed!

                    Love & Light,



                    Rose
                    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      We got up to 14 degrees this afternoon. David took that as a sign to go out and play with his camera. He had his long johns, flannel lined pants, down jacket, fur lined hat on and literally was out taking photos for more than 4 hours. Temps forecast to be in the mid 40s by the end of the week. Took down most of the decorations today but kept the window candles and creche lit as today is officially the last day of the Christmas season. Tree is still in the living room with lights lit but the ornaments are packed away for another year.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Am crossing my fingers for you Howie. In 1989 temps dipped into 20’s in florida. My external pipes froze and burst. All vegetation died off. The town was brown for months.

                        But the cold everyone here describes is way worse.

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Well, my pipes thawed out today. None them burst that I can find. It was such a relief to have water again. I was able to wash the dishes which were piling up. I eat only once a day, but not being able to wash them, was starting to pile up.

                          Plus not being able to flush the toilet was getting bad. I was finally able to flush, and then gave the toilet a good cleaning.

                          That was a real adventure with living in such a cold environment. I don't care to do that ever again.
                          Last edited by Howie; 01-08-2018, 02:49 PM.
                          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                          Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                            #73
                            That sounds pretty miserable, Howie. I'm glad if the crisis has passed. I think I'd be spending my time at a library just for the plumbing but a person can't stay overnight there.

                            The roofing around here is going forward, and where did they start but right at my windows, which have been blocked with plywood all day while large, heavy pieces of roofing kept falling with very resounding thuds right outside. There will be several weeks of this. If the weather gets bad, it could take longer.

                            Not sure I'll get to a dental appointment next week because the van might not be able to park but we'll see.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              We started out the day at 20, it got up to 37 then by 5:30 it was back to 32 and snowing. Not quite an inch and it seems to have stopped. High tomorrow 38 and Wednesday 42. Took the tree down and out today (rather David did). I packed up all the decorations, he carried them upstairs and they are stowed in the attic.

                              Roofer called today and said that the weather is iffy enough for the next few days that he doesn't want to schedule till after his vacation in 2 and a half weeks. We have probably a 4 day job with the multiple roof lines, additions, flat roof over one addition and the garage roof which drops off to the bike path 40 feet below. That one concerns me.

                              Tomorrow is port flush, 3 month blood work, B-12 and IV Lasix. Other than a quick trip to the bank on the way to the hospital, it should be an easy day.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Howie, glad that little ordeal ended for you. Having the plumbing taken away from me might be worse than not having any heat. LOL

                                Agate, I know the roofing going on around you is noisy and messy, but maybe when it is over it will all be worth it.

                                It is in the 30s here now. Why couldn't I have had this when the heat was out?
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X